Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Timmins

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

nickelass
Bar Fly

Timmins

Post by nickelass »

Anyone on this forum from Timmins? I'm moving up there this week and I won't know anyone or if there any places that have decent beer.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Wow, there's a question. I suspect a predictable result and I don't recall a Stompin Tom song about a great craft beer bar in Timmins.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Well at least they have an LCBO to bring in my private orders..
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I have a couple family up there. A bigger wasteland for beer you will not find.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I found your fortune cookie:

"You will become a great homebrewer."
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Haha, that may be the case if I get bored!

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Yup it's a beer wasteland here!! One place sells Guinness. From what else I can see it's purely Coors, Canadian, and Rickards!

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

sprague11 wrote:I have a couple family up there. A bigger wasteland for beer you will not find.
Windsor? Has to be a close second.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Raisy wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I have a couple family up there. A bigger wasteland for beer you will not find.

I think you're about right. At least you have that lounge....what is it called .....Phog Lounge or something?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Raisy wrote:

I think you're about right. At least you have that lounge....what is it called .....Phog Lounge or something?
I love Phog for concerts. I think they had a couple Wellington products on tap last time I was there (may have been only beers on tap?). I've been to another place in Windsor that had Delirium and much of the Mill Street line. When you add in the close proximity to Michigan, Windsor isn't anywhere close to the 2nd worst.

Sudbury would be an example of a city that is worse.

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

Yeah, Phog has a couple of Wellington products and gets a lot of great bands coming through. I'm not sure I know of any place in Windsor that has Delirium or Mill St. products on tap. My gripe really is with the lack of anything good being on tap and the lack of seasonals that make it to the local LCBOs.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

How bad do you want craft beer? There is a new brewpub in rouyn noranda Quebec. It's about 225 km from timmins. I'm planning on checking it out this summer

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Raisy wrote:
Living in Windsor you're way closer to a way better selection of beers than you are nearly anywhere else in the province. Michigan offers not only a plethora of great micro breweries but also a solid few bottle shops within a couple hours drive of the border. I wouldn't mind living closer to say Merchant's, or Kuhnhenn.

As for Phog, it was (as far as I know still is) co-owned by a Bar Towel member. They do what they can to keep decent offerings on hand; Wellington (including the Imperial when available) is available, St.Ambroise too if I'm not mistaken.

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

biegaman wrote:
Raisy wrote:
Living in Windsor you're way closer to a way better selection of beers than you are nearly anywhere else in the province. Michigan offers not only a plethora of great micro breweries but also a solid few bottle shops within a couple hours drive of the border. I wouldn't mind living closer to say Merchant's, or Kuhnhenn.

As for Phog, it was (as far as I know still is) co-owned by a Bar Towel member. They do what they can to keep decent offerings on hand; Wellington (including the Imperial when available) is available, St.Ambroise too if I'm not mistaken.
Don't get me wrong I don't disagree that I am fortunate to live near Merchant's, I usually make a monthly trip over. As I said what I hate about this area is the lack of interesting beer on tap. I am friends with the owners of Phog, and yes they do their part to support, but they are one bar in a city that is full of them.