Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

10 Bitter Years Sold Out

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Asst. Grain Shoveller

10 Bitter Years Sold Out

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Everybody

I'm pleased to say that the latest edition of 10 Bitter Years has sold out.

The bottles went very fast from our retail store here in Etobicoke. People were also supportive of the cancer donation that was part of the price.

Some of the more rabid beer fans were pestering us with frequent emails and lots of phone calls ( a few were even burning their man-bras in protest in front of the brewery!!!) as to when it would be ready.

We did modify our bottling line for this special batch by angling the filler at a precise 68 degree angle. This was done based on our research regarding the impact of direct pour filling on the fragile chirality of hop molecules when the hop concentration is very high. I doubt most international breweries could even begin to compete with angled bottle filling without the use of industrial cranes and lots of building modifications. So we have a slight competitive advantage.

I'm really glad that everyone has been so patient and I hope you will enjoy our 10 Bitter Years. Because of the angled bottling technique, I think the 10 Bitter Years will cellar beautifully.

Sorry to disappoint the people who did not get out here fast enough.

We may do a 13 Bitter Years if we survive.

Cheers
Ken

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

sorry about the bra burning ken, sometime i get carried away :oops:

i just finished my first keg stand of the morning and i have to say "THIS STUFF ROCKS!"

nice bitter malts and sweet bready hops

awesome!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:
Sorry to disappoint the people who did not get out here fast enough.
Get where? Was there a memo?
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ken, are you using a disgorging technique similar to the one used in Champagne? Or are you using a transfer method?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

dutchcanuck wrote:
I really hope this is someone's idea of a april fool's joke and the beer is going on sale today......please? Tell me its a joke?
Awww.. CRAP

Yeah that makes way more sense actually. This is still Ontario. Not Dark Lord Day.
In Beerum Veritas

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Ken do I look like a gulli-bull? Or even a gulli-calf?

Soods

Post by Soods »

Ken is this a cruel April Fool's joke? :(

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

All I can say is that my initial reaction was one of gut wrenching frustration and anger at not knowing potentially Ontario's best beer had gone on sale and I had missed it. So I will say I am VERY gullible.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I've got my 24 good to go. Can't believe how fast it went, and I'm regretting not buying more.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Asst. Grain Shoveller wrote:
We did modify our bottling line for this special batch by angling the filler at a precise 68 degree angle. This was done based on our research regarding the impact of direct pour filling on the fragile chirality of hop molecules when the hop concentration is very high. I doubt most international breweries could even begin to compete with angled bottle filling without the use of industrial cranes and lots of building modifications. So we have a slight competitive advantage.
I could certainly see that, Ken given all the regional competition you have for this type of beer. (All ten or twelve cases of it!)

Should this carry on as another thread Greg? Or maybe a whole new forum section just for discussing building modifications that allow angled-fill bottling & protect hop integrity?
In Beerum Veritas

Milos

Post by Milos »

Our bottles came with reddish hop buds inside and only about 10 oz. of beer. Is this normal? The hops are kind of hard to swallow!
So many beers and so little time!!

wilco

Post by wilco »

I totally got burned by this in my pre-caffeine state. But seriously, when are the bottles going to be ready?!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

wilco wrote:I totally got burned by this in my pre-caffeine state. But seriously, when are the bottles going to be ready?!
Talked to Ken on Saturday, he was said it would be available in about 2 weeks at the brewery, so sometime after the 15th I guess
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

that could be PERFECT timing. Moving in to my new house on the 17th. I would love to have a case of this in the fridge for myself to celebrate.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

dutchcanuck wrote:that could be PERFECT timing. Moving in to my new house on the 17th. I would love to have a case of this in the fridge for myself to celebrate.
It is certainly worth stocking up on. Chancey SMith's had bottles available yesterday for a bargain $4.50. Very nice beer. My bottle went way too quickly.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!