Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Minhas Creek Brewery looking at old Lakeport site

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ukie
Bar Fly

Minhas Creek Brewery looking at old Lakeport site

Post by Ukie »

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

"Minhas Creek began brewing in the West in November 2007"

Actually, their brewery is located in Wisconsin.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

markaberrant wrote:"Minhas Creek began brewing in the West in November 2007"

It looks like there's an American brewery with the same name.

Minhas Craft
Minhas Creek
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

phirleh wrote:

Minhas Craft
Minhas Creek
One and the same. Note the Beer Advocate listing for the US brewery shows the Minhas Creek beer as one of its products.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobbyok wrote:
phirleh wrote:

Minhas Craft
Minhas Creek
One and the same. Note the Beer Advocate listing for the US brewery shows the Minhas Creek beer as one of its products.
Yeah, Minhas has never owned a brewery in Canada, or even brewed their beer up here. They initially had their beers contact brewed at Huber Brewing in Wisconsin, and then ended up purchasing Huber in 2006.

Bit more info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Hub ... ng_Company

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I notified them of the "factual error" and the article has been updated.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Minhas is actually a pretty good sponsor of this year's ALES Open Homebrew Competition. If Viggo or Grub win any medals, I'll see if I can make sure the Minhas swag gets sent their way.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

markaberrant wrote:Minhas is actually a pretty good sponsor of this year's ALES Open Homebrew Competition. If Viggo or Grub win any medals, I'll see if I can make sure the Minhas swag gets sent their way.
While their sponsorship is no doubt appreciated, do they really produce anything that someone interested in homebrewing wants to drink? My impression was that they only deal in mainstream products at a discount.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

JerCraigs wrote:While their sponsorship is no doubt appreciated, do they really produce anything that someone interested in homebrewing wants to drink? My impression was that they only deal in mainstream products at a discount.
They also sell a Bock, Pilsner, Saison and "Swiss Amber"

You can buy 2 of each in SK as an 8-pack "Craft Beer Sampler Pack"

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

I heard that other groups were interested but with Labatt's "Scorched Earth Policy" it remains to be seen.

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/752582

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Some good publicity for the Minhas siblings, but it's never going to happen. Firstly, there's no way Labatt's will leave any of the physical plant standing for a competitor; they pounded the Etobicoke site flat when they closed it. Secondly, would it make sense financially for the Minhas' to open a brewery and pay Ontario's relatively high labour costs to make cheap beer when they have capacity and lower production costs in the US?

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

kinguy wrote:Firstly, there's no way Labatt's will leave any of the physical plant standing for a competitor; they pounded the Etobicoke site flat when they closed it. Secondly, would it make sense financially for the Minhas' to open a brewery and pay Ontario's relatively high labour costs to make cheap beer when they have capacity and lower production costs in the US?
Agreed on your first point.
However, on your second, yes, it could quite easily make sense for them to open something here. They'd avoid all of the import duties and taxes, not to mention the shipping costs.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

tuqueboy wrote:
kinguy wrote:Firstly, there's no way Labatt's will leave any of the physical plant standing for a competitor; they pounded the Etobicoke site flat when they closed it. Secondly, would it make sense financially for the Minhas' to open a brewery and pay Ontario's relatively high labour costs to make cheap beer when they have capacity and lower production costs in the US?
Agreed on your first point.
However, on your second, yes, it could quite easily make sense for them to open something here. They'd avoid all of the import duties and taxes, not to mention the shipping costs.
Agree with you that they probably will gain a Canadian production facility and Ontario is the most logical location but it makes no sense to me whatsoever that they would entertain a Hamilton Harbour location. Work with the Teamsters!?! Seriously. Go with that everpresent image of Hamilton harbour sludge water as 'pure spring source'. Ya, right.

They have been very patient entering the Eastern markets and have put quite a few dollars into multiple efforts to build up their almost buck-a-beer brand. The last group that Inbev or Molson wants developing here is these two. They're desparately trying to undo the damage to their bottom line that Bill Sharpe & Lakeport caused over twenty years.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Rob Creighton wrote:
Agree with you that they probably will gain a Canadian production facility and Ontario is the most logical location but it makes no sense to me whatsoever that they would entertain a Hamilton Harbour location.
Does seem strange since there have been breweries in Hamilton for almost 170 years!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment on this issue...

Now we know what it feels like to be a colony again. If a Canadian brewery (or pension fund etc.) had bought a Brazilian one, do you really think they would care much for the local workers, consumers etc.?

We are just on the receiving end of the screw this time. Not that I miss Lakeport or anything...

It does kind of take the steam out of that 'keep it real' crap they are using to push Keith's. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.