Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

10 Bitter Years Now Bottled

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Belgian wrote:Yes. But if it turns out they still have some Nutcracker Porter that I can tell you is drinking very fine. And the Double Chocolate Cherry. Damn. Now I know how easy it is to get there I will be sure to get a 24 of Saison whenever it is made.

Ken mentioned that the 10 Bitter Years just won a Gold Medal in an Ontario Competition. A Kudos to a good brewer doing the right thing & getting recognition!
good seeing you there Jonas, you should have popped over to Great Lakes for some Orange Peel special edition. its much brighter then the regular version (more on that in another thread).

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

If anyone has a bottle or two to spare and interested in trying something from Quebec they can't get, please PM me.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

eat

Post by eat »

Is it gone already??? I was trying to keep track of the sales progress and last I saw someone had mentioned that it should last a month or so, so even at a conservative estimate I figured I had into next week to stop by. Does anyone know if there is still some left? I'd be there at 10am on Monday if there's really only a few cases remaining. Damn.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

grabbed mine Saturday morning and Ken seemed stocked well enough for you to go Monday.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Guess I'll call the brewery before heading down after work tommorow
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

icemachine wrote:Guess I'll call the brewery before heading down after work tommorow
Check the hours, as I thought they typically close the retail store around 4pm.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Not only is this beer far and away the best Canadian beer I've ever had, but IMO stands with or exceeds the great US barleywines and DIPAs (stone, alesmith, 3 floyds, etc). The key I think is in the malt profile - too many US DIPAs are like drinking a pint of grapefruit juice.

The only problem I can see is that I'm only able to drink two in a single session :) On the plus side that means my stash will last for at least twelve days...

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Crap, I called on Monday and the voice recording said that it wasn't even bottled yet. :cry:

I hope there's some left!
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Blankboy wrote:Crap, I called on Monday and the voice recording said that it wasn't even bottled yet. :cry:

I called yesterday and the message said that they were sold out of the bottles, but kegs were still being distributed
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

icemachine wrote:
Blankboy wrote:Crap, I called on Monday and the voice recording said that it wasn't even bottled yet. :cry:

I called yesterday and the message said that they were sold out of the bottles, but kegs were still being distributed
Sold out already? Wow, I think this just proves that Ontario is ready for some IIPA's!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

kwjd wrote:
icemachine wrote:

Sold out already? Wow, I think this just proves that Ontario is ready for some IIPA's!
its awesome when the brewery owner thinks it will last a month and a half and it sells out in 6 or 7 retail days!

i hope it shows other breweries what will sell in Ontario

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

The recorded message when you call confirms it's sold out.

I'm gonna go in the corner and cry now.

:cry:
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Blankboy wrote:The recorded message when you call confirms it's sold out.

I'm gonna go in the corner and cry now.

:cry:
Cest What has it on tap as of Sunday. It wasn`t listed on the website nor the tap list card things at the bar & tables.
lister

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

So I had his a few months back on tap, thought it was okay and a welcome addition to the scene, but nothing more. Drank one of my bottles tonight at cellar temp and thought it was far improved. The aroma is excellent, and while the flavour falls a little short of those heights I'd say this is one of the better hopped up beers I've had from Canada. While its not as good as the very best hoppy beers from the States, it would certainly hold its own down there.

Regarding the style, I'd call this an IPA and a half. Impressive stuff - I hope you get the message here, Ken - if you brew it they will come.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Bobsy wrote:So I had his a few months back on tap, thought it was okay and a welcome addition to the scene, but nothing more. Drank one of my bottles tonight at cellar temp and thought it was far improved. The aroma is excellent, and while the flavour falls a little short of those heights I'd say this is one of the better hopped up beers I've had from Canada. While its not as good as the very best hoppy beers from the States, it would certainly hold its own down there.

Regarding the style, I'd call this an IPA and a half. Impressive stuff - I hope you get the message here, Ken - if you brew it they will come.
this is almost carbon copy of my review from ratebeer. have you been snooping rob??