Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

10 Bitter Years Now Bottled

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

lister wrote:
Blankboy wrote:The recorded message when you call confirms it's sold out.

I'm gonna go in the corner and cry now.

:cry:
Cest What has it on tap as of Sunday. It wasn`t listed on the website nor the tap list card things at the bar & tables.
Anyone know if this is still available at C'est What? ?

If so I'm going to pop in after work tonight for a quick pint.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

It was on tap at Volo last night as well.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

matt7215 wrote:
Bobsy wrote:So I had his a few months back on tap, thought it was okay and a welcome addition to the scene, but nothing more. Drank one of my bottles tonight at cellar temp and thought it was far improved. The aroma is excellent, and while the flavour falls a little short of those heights I'd say this is one of the better hopped up beers I've had from Canada. While its not as good as the very best hoppy beers from the States, it would certainly hold its own down there.

Regarding the style, I'd call this an IPA and a half. Impressive stuff - I hope you get the message here, Ken - if you brew it they will come.
this is almost carbon copy of my review from ratebeer. have you been snooping rob??
Great minds, Matt!

Soods

Post by Soods »

Word from the brewery is....seeing that the last batch of bottled 10BY lasted only 6 days

the plan is to do it one more time. Therefore, for those who missed or those who want some more...it's a coming! :D

Maybe we can make the next batch last only 3 days and we'll get more again? :o

Soods

Post by Soods »

One other thing..had some 10 bitter years over the weekend at a couple of bars.
So for comparison it was $6.50 for 300ml at Bar Volo,
while at Bryden's it was $5.87 for the full pint.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Soods wrote:One other thing..had some 10 bitter years over the weekend at a couple of bars.
Volo won't sell beers over a certain alcohol %-age in pints, and seeing as 10 bitter years is a high alcohol beer then this is quite a responsible move.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Torontoblue wrote:
Soods wrote:One other thing..had some 10 bitter years over the weekend at a couple of bars.
Volo won't sell beers over a certain alcohol %-age in pints, and seeing as 10 bitter years is a high alcohol beer then this is quite a responsible move.
I agree. Under six bucks for a pint of big beer is great value but not good reasoning.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Rob Creighton wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
I agree. Under six bucks for a pint of big beer is great value but not good reasoning.

may not be good reasoning, but the $5.50 pints at Chancey Smith's suit me just fine!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Torontoblue wrote:
When this was on tap several months ago at both Volo and C'est What, it was twice the price at Volo per volume. C'est What had it at under $6 for a pint. I had it a lot more at C'est What given it is closer to me and much better value. Pretty much anything available at both bars is always a little bit cheaper at C'est What, but that is a pretty big price difference (Wellinton RIS is similar).

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Torontoblue wrote:
If you're only going to give 300mL servings of a strong beer, maybe you shouldn't charge for the price of a full pint at other bars serving that beer. It seems like that decision is based more on greed than responsibility.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

mintjellie wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
If you're only going to give 300mL servings of a strong beer, maybe you shouldn't charge for the price of a full pint at other bars serving that beer. It seems like that decision is based more on greed than responsibility.
But it's the drinkers responsibilty whether they buy it or not. It's actually more irresponsible selling a full pint of an 8% ale for the price of regular pints. And maybe Volo has higher costs to cover than Bryden's' have you thought of that?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Torontoblue wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: Volo won't sell beers over a certain alcohol %-age in pints, and seeing as 10 bitter years is a high alcohol beer then this is quite a responsible move.
But it's the drinkers responsibilty whether they buy it or not. It's actually more irresponsible selling a full pint of an 8% ale for the price of regular pints. And maybe Volo has higher costs to cover than Bryden's' have you thought of that?
Please explain to me why drinking a single pint of 8% ale is less responsible than drinking 2 pints of session strength beer.

Maybe bars should stop allowing patrons to drink more than a single pint in one visit. That would be responsible too, right?

If I drink a full pints worth of DIPA then take the bus home, am I engaging in irresponsible drinking?

I just don't buy that responsibility argument.

You do have a point on the overhead costs though. I'm sure a lease at Yonge and Wellesley isn't cheap.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
mintjellie wrote: If you're only going to give 300mL servings of a strong beer, maybe you shouldn't charge for the price of a full pint at other bars serving that beer. It seems like that decision is based more on greed than responsibility.
Please explain to me why drinking a single pint of 8% ale is less responsible than drinking 2 pints of session strength beer.

Maybe bars should stop allowing patrons to drink more than a single pint in one visit. That would be responsible too, right?

If I drink a full pints worth of DIPA then take the bus home, am I engaging in irresponsible drinking?

I just don't buy that responsibility argument.

You do have a point on the overhead costs though. I'm sure a lease at Yonge and Wellesley isn't cheap.

The responsibility argument stinks to high heavens, and I am in agreeance with what you're saying.
I don't mind if bars charge what they need to charge, to cover costs. But I can assure all bartowel members one thing. There probably isn't one place that is talked about on here that pays more rent than Chancey Smith's. The market charges an insane amount of money as a landlord, and the sheer size of the place and patio is just silly. And even on slow days they need to staff a crazy amount of people, just in case.
I know they say that the magic number for a restaurant is about 33%, but I can tell you that Chancey's is running at about 52-55% and is still making money and allowing their customers to enjoy a reasonable price on a glass of beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Queef

Post by Queef »

people don't buy a responsibility argument? seriously? Simply because some bars don't pay attention to the fact that a specific big beer might be 8+% and price the pints the same as a session, doesn't mean that those that serve it in smaller sizes for a higher price, are ripping people off.
It's a combination of economics (that particular keg of beer probably cost a hell of a lot more), and responsibility ("hey dude, that bar down the street has this 10% beer for the same price as a pint of Keiths, lets get wasted!").
Not every place can expect only the very limited amount of beer lovers, that understand, to frequent their establishment.
it's beer o'clock.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Beer is just like real estate. It's not really the cost to build, it's what people are willing to pay.

Clearly people are willing to pay that price... and Volo probably blows through those kegs faster than anyone, making room for another FRESH novelty.

IMHO, if it was twice the price of Keiths, it'd be a hell of deal.

Speaking of real estate, I'd wager that Toronto is at least twice the price of London (making that move was a real shock, and I'm not even on Yonge!). The commercial property tax is a bigger hit as well. Wasn't Hancock paying 40K a month for Denison's?