Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mondial 2010

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I'm a Mondiale virgin guys, but I'm considering taking the train down early Saturday just for the day. If I'm there at opening, how long do I have before the hordes show up? And at its busiest is it "worth it", or just frustrating?

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Gedge wrote:What I mean is, if you turn up at 10:30 will the place be so rammed that you can't get in.
in that case, yeah. best to go before mondial closes for the night. it was a bit of a clusterf*ck for the special Japanese nights at DDC last year. Wall to wall people.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Bytowner wrote:I'm a Mondiale virgin guys, but I'm considering taking the train down early Saturday just for the day. If I'm there at opening, how long do I have before the hordes show up? And at its busiest is it "worth it", or just frustrating?
Anyone? Sorry, but if I'm going I'll need to let the lady-friend know in advance.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Bytowner wrote:
Bytowner wrote:I'm a Mondiale virgin guys, but I'm considering taking the train down early Saturday just for the day. If I'm there at opening, how long do I have before the hordes show up? And at its busiest is it "worth it", or just frustrating?
Anyone? Sorry, but if I'm going I'll need to let the lady-friend know in advance.
Try to show up as early as you can to opening. I honestly didn't think it was unbearable. If you get there early then you can grab a table and it's a lot easier to get up and down to get beers rather than standing around which would be really tiring.

And then when you get tired of the crowds head to DDC before all the people migrate there :-)

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Cass wrote: Try to show up as early as you can to opening. I honestly didn't think it was unbearable. If you get there early then you can grab a table and it's a lot easier to get up and down to get beers rather than standing around which would be really tiring.

And then when you get tired of the crowds head to DDC before all the people migrate there :-)
Great, thanks Cass! I'm hoping my girlfriend can get Friday off, but otherwise we'll have to make it Saturday and I was worried it would be too crazy.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I'll be in Syracuse this weekend instead. No Mondial for me. Next year for sure though.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

16 saisons that are completely new to me... I'll be in heaven!

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

Bobsy wrote:16 saisons that are completely new to me... I'll be in heaven!
Well, try to stay vertical and functional long enough so that we can have a drink Saturday morning when i get to the festival!!!

I am getting excited, just over two more days of work before the VIA spirits me away to Montreal for a long weekend and Mondial!!!
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Sweet, I'm booked. Get in at 9:30 Saturday and I'll be leaving at 5:30 Sunday. Should be fun, hopefully the rain keeps the crowds home!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

How's it looking gentlemen?

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Bytowner wrote:How's it looking gentlemen?
Awesome two days so far..... lots of great beer.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Got really busy after 5 pm yesterday. So much great beer though. Stocked up at Peluso as well (really nice people). You guys on your way now won't be disappointed.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Yeah I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, hope you guys aren't drinking all the beer.

Anyone have any good food recommendations in the area for dinner tomorrow? Moderately priced.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Back from Montreal, had a blast.

Best beer for me, though not exciting, or new, to most of you was DDC's Aphrodisiaque.

Biggest surprise was from Boquebiere out of Sherbrooke. Those folks brew good beer, really enjoyed their Saison No. 6.

Biggest disappointment was Blonde de Chambly, maybe others would disagree, but saison my arse, it's a wit.

Also of note was Trou de Diable's Claymore Cerise, an original and flavourful wee-heavy. Charlevoix's Brut makes Deus look like swill. Hopfenstark's Helles was everything a Helles should be. Wonderfully floral with some grain grainy malt.

Also, as an aside, went through the Stone line-up at the Petit Pub and was thoroughly unimpressed. Found them to be one-dimensional and dull.

Nap time!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Great weekend. If I don`t drink another beer this monthi I`ll be a happy man.