Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2010 Ontario Brewing Awards

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

2010 Ontario Brewing Awards

Post by pootz »

Anyone have the particulars on the awards yet....like who entered who didn't per category. All we have so far is this:

http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... nners.html[/u]
Aventinus rules!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

That would be interesting indeed.

I thought the Amsterdam & Mill Street Bocks were both improved this year... though it seems Mill street really stepped it up! And no Urbock? I thought they brewed it well this year too. Duggan had other entries, but I wonder if his wasn't ready? (I thought his was a great brew).

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I'm just curious about the Hop City amber being classed as a Vienna/marzen :-?
Aventinus rules!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Some pretty farcical awards presented there!!!

Galt Knife Old Style, Silver medal for Bitter. How the hell does a lager come 2nd in a Bitter section?

And #9 being entered in 2 categories? Pale Ale & IPA?

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

pootz wrote:I'm just curious about the Hop City amber being classed as a Vienna/marzen :-?
Where do you see that? The category it was in was just called Amber Lager.

I presume that Denison's was not entered again this year?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Bobbyok wrote:
pootz wrote:I'm just curious about the Hop City amber being classed as a Vienna/marzen :-?

Those are the only styles listed under "amber lager" in BJCP guidelines....and BO won gold for an Oktoberfest marzen in the category. Just extrapolating on available evidence.
Aventinus rules!

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Try this link - the other one isn't working:

http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... nners.html

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

pootz wrote:
Bobbyok wrote:

Those are the only styles listed under "amber lager" in BJCP guidelines....and BO won gold for an Oktoberfest marzen in the category. Just extrapolating on available evidence.
I don't think they were using BJCP categories. Honey/Maple, for example, wouldn't fit anywhere with BJCP. I suspect that was an honest "lagers of a particular colour" category rather than pegging Barking Squirrel as a Vienna.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bobbyok wrote:I don't think they were using BJCP categories. Honey/Maple, for example, wouldn't fit anywhere with BJCP. I suspect that was an honest "lagers of a particular colour" category rather than pegging Barking Squirrel as a Vienna.
Nothing says "quality competition" like categories based on colour, and the ever popular honey/maple category is a dead giveaway that this is a Canadian competition.

Queef

Post by Queef »

wow, while I'm sure there are a "few" great beers on that list, how many more "awards" can be created for typical ontario lagers? Does something like a hop city beer really get to claim both a silver and a bronze for the same category? lucky for them they have the Moosehead cash flow to market this appropriately!
it's beer o'clock.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Queef wrote:wow, while I'm sure there are a "few" great beers on that list, how many more "awards" can be created for typical ontario lagers? Does something like a hop city beer really get to claim both a silver and a bronze for the same category? lucky for them they have the Moosehead cash flow to market this appropriately!
It's not silver and bronze - the third column is "People's Choice". I thought the same as you first time I was reading through when I saw John By twice in the same category.

Queef

Post by Queef »

Bobbyok wrote:
Queef wrote:wow, while I'm sure there are a "few" great beers on that list, how many more "awards" can be created for typical ontario lagers? Does something like a hop city beer really get to claim both a silver and a bronze for the same category? lucky for them they have the Moosehead cash flow to market this appropriately!
It's not silver and bronze - the third column is "People's Choice". I thought the same as you first time I was reading through when I saw John By twice in the same category.

ah yes, you are right, I just assumed by the layout.
it's beer o'clock.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

markaberrant wrote:
Bobbyok wrote:I don't think they were using BJCP categories. Honey/Maple, for example, wouldn't fit anywhere with BJCP. I suspect that was an honest "lagers of a particular colour" category rather than pegging Barking Squirrel as a Vienna.
Nothing says "quality competition" like categories based on colour, and the ever popular honey/maple category is a dead giveaway that this is a Canadian competition.
Exactly Mark :wink:

I'm all for promoting local crafted beer but I draw the line at staged events - it makes competition meaningless without rigid guidelines, objective, professional judging and stiff/inclusive competition.

In this case I thing the talent pool of craft brewers is so shallow and the categories so wide its a matter of every one wins one time or another.
Last edited by pootz on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Bobbyok wrote: I don't think they were using BJCP categories. Honey/Maple, for example, wouldn't fit anywhere with BJCP. I suspect that was an honest "lagers of a particular colour" category rather than pegging Barking Squirrel as a Vienna.
Just my opinion but the BJCP are really the only universally accepted category guide we have. Not to use it opens these competitions to subjective amateurish bumbling or misuse as a tawdry promotional platform.

Speaking of tawdry awards promotion, did anyone notice multi-OBA medal winning Steelback quietly closed its doors recently due to lack of sales?
Aventinus rules!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

pootz wrote:
Bobbyok wrote: I don't think they were using BJCP categories. Honey/Maple, for example, wouldn't fit anywhere with BJCP. I suspect that was an honest "lagers of a particular colour" category rather than pegging Barking Squirrel as a Vienna.
Just my opinion but the BJCP are really the only universally accepted category guide we have. Not to use it opens these competitions to subjective amateurish bumbling or misuse as a tawdry promotional platform.

Speaking of tawdry awards promotion, did anyone notice multi-OBA medal winning Steelback quietly closed its doors recently due to lack of sales?
i noticed, i even watch some of the live auction online.

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/event.php?event=10555

wonder who bought it?
Last edited by matt7215 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.