Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Branding Question

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Beer Branding Question

Post by Pub Style »

I received a message yesterday from a student about brand and brand strength that I thought I'd post up here and on BA for everyone to chime in, if interested. The question is listed below.

Related to brand and brand strength
"If I were to ask you which of the Ontario craft breweries comes to mind first -- which brand would be top of mind? What would your #2 and #3 picks be? And, if I asked you to identify a Canadian beer brand in the craft and specialty category (so not limited to Ontario) -- what would be top of mind?

I'm looking more for the responses to be "top of mind Ontario/Canadian craft brand" rather than "it's my favorite Ontario/Canadian craft brand"

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

ontario - mill street

canada - unibroue

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

#1 would be Mill Street, since it's inception, its branding exemplifies simple yet modern. I don't think they could ever change their logo.

2 and 3 would be Beau's and Creemore, they kind of exemplify that simple and consistent brand identity. I think when Wiggins started Creemore the combination of homespun quality, quality beer and an advertising background solidified the brand from the beginning.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

matt7215 wrote:ontario - mill street

canada - unibroue
oh yes, Unibroue too, best named beers. Mythical.
By the way, speaking of brand identity, Unibroue finally redid their website and got rid of that geocities-esque site assembled by someone's 15 year old nephew.

http://unibroue.com/
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

For this particular time Black Oak came to mind first, followed by Mill St and Steamwhistle.

For Canadian non-Ontario I thought of Dieu Du Ciel, Unibroue and Garrison.

I know in the past I've said Mill St or Steamwhistle and Unibroue first.

The girlfriend said Mill St., Steamwhistle & Church-Key and Unibroue, St Ambroise & Big Rock.
lister

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

First names that popped into my head:
1)Flying Monkey
2)Wellington
3)Creemore

Canada overall: McAuslan.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Mill Street is very high profile in the GTA but less so elsewhere. For this reason I'd pick Creemore #1, Mill St #2, Wellington #3

But let us not forget Lakeport who, while not anyone's ideal definition of a quality micro, have good brand recognition and good sales province wide (from what I understand).

Outside Ontario I would say either Keiths or Moosehead in terms of brand. Moosehead sells its beer throughout Canada, the United States, and in 15 countries around the world. They also own their own distribution arm in the U.S. and once held a solid market position down there. Both companies have very good market presence and brand recognition.

But do companies like Creemore and Keith's no longer classify as "craft" since they are owned by multinational brewing consortiums?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

In the ROC (rest of Canada) category, I think Granville Island and Okanagan also jump to mind.

Funny, I immediately though of Swans for some reason. Maybe I need another trip to the west coast soon... :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

beeton

Post by beeton »

first - Neustadt Springs Brewery

other - McAuslan Brewing

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Jon Walker wrote: Outside Ontario I would say either Keiths or Moosehead in terms of brand. Moosehead sells its beer throughout Canada, the United States, and in 15 countries around the world. They also own their own distribution arm in the U.S. and once held a solid market position down there. Both companies have very good market presence and brand recognition.

But do companies like Creemore and Keith's no longer classify as "craft" since they are owned by multinational brewing consortiums?
Keith's would never have qualified as a craft brewer because their size and ownership have been well outside the craft realm from before the term "craft brewing" existed. The Keith's brand has been owned by the Oland Brewery since the '20s - and even at that time Oland would have been considered a "commercial" brewery. Keith's has essentially been factory brewed since then.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

As for the original question, from an outsider's perspective, Mill Street and Denison's were the first two to pop into my head. I doubt that's really a "brand awareness" response though. Outside of Ontario on a national scale, Unibroue was my first thought. Dieu du Ciel is up there too.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

For Ontario, I'd say Steamwhistle takes the cake with those green packages and bottles.

Next... Mill Street followed by Beau's.

Edit, forgot to say canadian... I'd say Unibroue comes first simply due to it being one of the pioneers of craft brewing that actually made its mark on the international stage and garnered respect from the US, and for all canadian micro brews. Péché Mortel followed suit later and attained the top of the ratebeer charts, but the DDC brand is just starting to grow to the general public.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Mill St - there are lots of patio umbrellas stating you can get the Mill Street Brews here, they had a noticable presence at the Vancouver Olympics and there are always Mill St products in the LCBO with a new mixed 6 every year.

Steamwhistle - The radio advertising has made everyone in Toronto aware of them whether or not they have tried it.

Upper Canada - even if they aren't around the advertising campaign from years past still sticks with lots of people.

Beau's has done well getting their name out there without actually advertising but I think those of us that are looking for it notice more than the average beer drinker.

Rest of Canada -

Big Rock - maybe it's cause I lived in Calgary for a long time but they also have a larger space on the big wall at TBS than any other out of province micro brew.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Jon Walker wrote: But let us not forget Lakeport who, while not anyone's ideal definition of a quality micro, have good brand recognition and good sales province wide (from what I understand).

Outside Ontario I would say either Keiths or Moosehead in terms of brand. Moosehead sells its beer throughout Canada, the United States, and in 15 countries around the world. They also own their own distribution arm in the U.S. and once held a solid market position down there. Both companies have very good market presence and brand recognition.

It is interesting from my perspective to see Jon's comments though he may be throwing them out just to get some of us going.

Lakeport was a 400000 bbl brewery from the get go that often didn't use most of that capacity but it was always high gravity and in fact a 'one wort' brewery. Yes the Lakeport light, lager, pils, ice, strong, dark, etc... all came from the same wort. Craft was never chiseled above the door.

Moosehead has been an Oland family 200000 hl plus regional for many decades and always looking for a way to build their volumes though I think the Niagara Brewing Co/Cool Brewing plant/Hop City ploy is a tax maneuver gone pretend-a-craft because the big guys are sweating losing volume to flavour. Moosehead only has produced bland dumbed down beers similar Blue/Cdn since I've been alive.

Keiths was bought by Labatt in the sixties prior (I think) to Power Corp buying Labatt and only kept open because of the provincial trade restrictions. The Belgians came up with the historic IPA garbage in '95 as a means of hustling Stella and the Keiths growth was a bonus though I consider it to be one of Canada's most embarrassing beers.

I prefer to believe that we Canadians all aren't morons that go for all this psycho marketing shit but I hate to say that we seem to be far bigger suckers than Americans and our beer price says it all.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Steamwhistle came to mind first. I think they've probably got more 'brand' than any of the little guys.

I'm surprised there's no mention of Sleeman (who owned Upper Canada & Unibroue before Sapporo took over).

Or Brick?