Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Branding Question

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Well said Matt. I agree, and now will buy you a pint of the coldest beer available, when we meet next.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

matt7215 wrote:
thx for the link to this thread, its a very insightful look into the brewing philosophy in ontario, both today and in 2007.

so breweries in the province today are still very afraid to take the next step and produce beer that is current.
I think saying that simply brewers are afraid to take the next step is understaing it a bit. I mean like that post from 2007 said breweries are businesses. If they are selling everything they make, do they stop making something that is a proven seller to make something that to make something that might not sell as well (other than doing a one off or special event thing). Or do you spend the money to increase your capacity to make something that might not do well. I am not sure how the profit margins of breweries are, but if they are thin to begin with (especially for start up breweries) they might not want to risk the profits.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Kel Varnsen wrote: I think saying that simply brewers are afraid to take the next step is understaing it a bit. I mean like that post from 2007 said breweries are businesses. If they are selling everything they make, do they stop making something that is a proven seller to make something that to make something that might not sell as well (other than doing a one off or special event thing). Or do you spend the money to increase your capacity to make something that might not do well. I am not sure how the profit margins of breweries are, but if they are thin to begin with (especially for start up breweries) they might not want to risk the profits.
Top Ontario Beers According To Ratebeer
 Denisons Weissbier 
 Applewood Farm Iced Cider  
 Church-Key Riot Act Imperial Stout  R 
 Scotch Irish John By Imperial Stout 
 Black Oak Ten Bitter Years 
 Scotch Irish Tsarina Katarina Imperial Stout  R 
 Archibald Orchards Spiced Winter Apple 
 Scotch Irish Santa Claws Christmas Cake Porter  R 
 Wellington Imperial Russian Stout 
 Scotch Irish Major Misconduct  R 
 Scotch Irish Chaplains Solace  R 
 Durham Hop Head 
 Scotch Irish Vanilla Bean Porter  R 
 Denisons Dunkel 
 Black Oak Hop Bomb 
 Applewood Farm Meade 
 Church-Key Like Water for Chocolate Porter  R 
 Black Oak Nutcracker 

Of these Denison's and Hop Head are the only ones getting produced regularly. A good chunk are retired. John By is largely ranking high based on 2 year old ratings, rather than current ones (IMHO anyways). There's also a few that I think should make that list that don't but whatever.

I don't take issue with statement from Cameron's, and I don't really disagree with it. I like the Cameron's Auburn well enough, and will enjoy a few pints of it depending what else is on tap.

The problem is that if as a brewery (and this applies to many in Ontario) you pay the bills by selling good beer and are happy to keep doing that, and only that. That's fine. Just don't complain that some of your customers are getting excited by someone else's great beer. Be happy that your good beer is selling and move on.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

matt7215 wrote: so breweries in the province today are still very afraid to take the next step and produce beer that is current.

the Imperial Stout fad came and went with little fan fair in Ontario

the IIPA fad came and went with no real examples until 2010

the Sour fad came and is fading but certainly never caught on amoungst our 50+ breweries
If Imperial Stouts, IIPAs and Sours were all fads, do you really think this is an argument in favours of Ontario's Craft Brewers brewing more of them? Jumping in on a "fad" is hardly the mark of a craft or artisanal producer - certainly not anymore than making a "safe" craft product is.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Bobbyok wrote:
matt7215 wrote: so breweries in the province today are still very afraid to take the next step and produce beer that is current.

the Imperial Stout fad came and went with little fan fair in Ontario

the IIPA fad came and went with no real examples until 2010

the Sour fad came and is fading but certainly never caught on amoungst our 50+ breweries
If Imperial Stouts, IIPAs and Sours were all fads, do you really think this is an argument in favours of Ontario's Craft Brewers brewing more of them? Jumping in on a "fad" is hardly the mark of a craft or artisanal producer - certainly not anymore than making a "safe" craft product is.
what im saying is ontario isnt current and our brewers have missed what were big trends in craft brewing. there is no lack of Impy Stout and IIPA's in the real craft markets they just arent as hot as they once were. sours are the current "in" thing but i really dont mind if they dont catch on here because i doubt the OCB could make world class examples. the OCB could make great IIPA's and Impy Stouts and they would sell here.

so if our breweries want to keep making the same old safe styles and they can continue to make money doing so then thats great for them.

the real question is, why dont our breweries want to stay current? why as professionals in a craft market are they letting the market evolve without them? why dont they see the current potential within the ontario market and try to capitalize on it?

if 60min, ST IPA, and BBCS can thrive in this market why isnt someone local copying their success?

the US market is what, 15 years ahead of us? the west coast Canadian markets is maybe 5. why not learn from the experiences of the breweries that have been on the cutting edge for years?

there is 15+ years of market research already completed, just sitting waiting for our brewers to copy it.