Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

An offer to (almost) any Ontario brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

nothing has happened with this so far

if a brewer has read this thread and has reasons why this wouldnt work please just PM me

anything sent to me via PM can stay private and confidential if that helps

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:nothing has happened with this so far

if a brewer has read this thread and has reasons why this wouldnt work please just PM me

anything sent to me via PM can stay private and confidential if that helps

Most of them are probably too proud to even consider this. But I still think it a great idea.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Good on you Matt. It takes courage to make a public proposal to try and change things for the better. It will also take some courage for a brewer to step up and take your challenge.

I wonder if sending out samples of your recipe to the breweries with your challenge might have some effect as well. After all, we all know the power a well brewed IPA can have on an unsuspecting palate! It may be the deal clincher you are looking for.

Best of luck!
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ralphus wrote:Good on you Matt. It takes courage to make a public proposal to try and change things for the better. It will also take some courage for a brewer to step up and take your challenge.

I wonder if sending out samples of your recipe to the breweries with your challenge might have some effect as well. After all, we all know the power a well brewed IPA can have on an unsuspecting palate! It may be the deal clincher you are looking for.

Best of luck!
I would imagine this is true. Matt has brewed, at his home, some of the best tasting beer I have had from this province. That is saying quite a bit seeing as we have a lot of brewers. Too bad they are all focusing on Golden Ale, Blond Ale, Amber Ale, Pale Lager, so on and so forth.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I agree with Belgian that we're missing that Holy Grail of pale ales in our scene, and there's room for it. To be fair, few brewers can do it as well as Stone does.

Mike Duggan Number 9 IPA is coming to the LCBO soon, and may help fill that void. No idea how well it'll sell.

If Durham County bottled Hop Head, it would probably become my regular. And I've yet to try Ten Bitter Years, but if I could get my hands on some, I'm sure it'd become my desert-island IIPA.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Ralphus wrote:Good on you Matt. It takes courage to make a public proposal to try and change things for the better. It will also take some courage for a brewer to step up and take your challenge.

Best of luck!
i pitched this idea to a member of the OCB in january of 09, i took samples down to the brewery and met with the owner. he thought enough of it to organize a meeting with himself and the head brewer to work out a recipe. the 3 of of discussed it, worked out a recipe and planned to arrange a day to brew the batch.

after a few months i called the brewery back and was told by the owner they were still interested but were quite busy and didnt have the tank space.

the week after a was offered a part time job at the brewery which i accepted. after about a month i was offered full time which i accepted.

after about 6 months and no futher progress on brewing the beer that i had originally presented i left and went back into being self employed.

if that brewery contacted me i would still go back and do the exact same thing i pitched to them 17 months ago.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

This is a great idea. I have to believe a beer like this would survive. I know I would purchase it.

You look at Quebec and they have 3 maybe 4 beers along this line (maybe not that high on IBU's in some cases) but Corne du Diable comes to mind. Simple Malt's Cascade IPA. Both are exceptional beers and constantly in my cellar.

I applaud your balls in trying this.

Have you tried Beau's Screaming Beaver? It might be along the lines of what you are asking.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

cfrancis wrote:This is a great idea. I have to believe a beer like this would survive. I know I would purchase it.

You look at Quebec and they have 3 maybe 4 beers along this line (maybe not that high on IBU's in some cases) but Corne du Diable comes to mind. Simple Malt's Cascade IPA. Both are exceptional beers and constantly in my cellar.

I applaud your balls in trying this.

Have you tried Beau's Screaming Beaver? It might be along the lines of what you are asking.
had it last night on cask @ volo, a little sweeter then i like but not lacking in hops. its something that would sell well in ontario if production was amped up.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Yeah I wish Beau's would amp up their seasonals other than local watering holes and at the brewery. They really have some good stuff. All in due time I suppose, they are growing pretty fast.

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

matt7215 wrote:
my recipe is simple to produce but is 90ibu's and 7.3%abv
Could you send me a copy of the recipe please? I would love to try brewing a batch.

I think what you're doing is awesome, and if it does get made I'll pick up a few cases for sure.
Last edited by Weebay on Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Weebay wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
my recipe is simple to produce but is 90ibu's and 7.3%abv

Could you send me a copy of the recipe please? I would love to try brewing a batch.

I think what you're doing is awesome, and if it does get made I'll pick up a few cases for sure.
PM sent

Publican House Brewery

Post by Publican House Brewery »

We are looking at brewing Real IPA in August.

Send me a note with further specs.

Jon

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Publican House Brewery wrote:We are looking at brewing Real IPA in August.

Send me a note with further specs.

Jon
pm sent!