Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

An offer to (almost) any Ontario brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

An offer to (almost) any Ontario brewery

Post by matt7215 »

So Ive been very vocal over the past few weeks about what does and doesnt get brewed in this province. I think its a shame that our breweries seem reluctant to take the chance and brew flavourful craft beer. Some say the market for it is there, some say it isnt. So this is what Im purposing.

I have an IPA recipe that is simple, straight forward and can easily be brewed by any professional brewery. If (almost) any brewery in Ontario would like to take a shot a brewing it I will personally gaurentee a 100% sell-out of any % of the batch that gets bottled.

If the batch is made to the standard that I can make in my basement and doesnt sell out I will buy the portion that doesnt @ 100% retail value.

If the batch doesnt quite turn out the way we hoped but is deemed decent enough to still try to sell and doesnt sell out I will purchase any left over product @ cost.

If you try to brew the batch and it is a complete nightmare then I should have chosen a different brewery for this venture.

So Im trying to put my money where my mouth is and show the breweries in this province that Ontario is ready.

If anybody is interested just send me a PM and Ill come and meet with you at your convienience.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Sounds good Matt. I've had your home brew and it kicks ass.

I'd be down for whatever gets brewed.........wherever.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Sounds good Matt. I've had your home brew and it kicks ass.

I'd be down for whatever gets brewed.........wherever.
Definitely, can I reserve a case or 2 now?
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Ballsy. I love it. You'd have to watch them like a hawk so they don't add all these dark specialty malts. Some of these guys just can't help themselves making a muddled, malty mess of an IPA.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

If you really want to put your money where your mouth is, why not contract brew it and sell it yourself? That way you don't have to worry about your chosen brewery "messing it up" and whatever you don't sell you can just drink.

Plus, I suspect that many would balk at the subjectivity in this criteria - what if you don't think it's up to snuff but they do?
If the batch doesnt quite turn out the way we hoped but is deemed decent enough to still try to sell and doesnt sell out I will purchase any left over product @ cost.

If you try to brew the batch and it is a complete nightmare then I should have chosen a different brewery for this venture.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Bobbyok wrote:If you really want to put your money where your mouth is, why not contract brew it and sell it yourself? That way you don't have to worry about your chosen brewery "messing it up" and whatever you don't sell you can just drink.

Plus, I suspect that many would balk at the subjectivity in this criteria - what if you don't think it's up to snuff but they do?

well i dont want to go into contract brewing right now for personal reasons

i think i was fairly clear but if not ill re-state it, if the beer is clean and properly produced the brewery has nothing to worry about in terms of financial loss. if the batch is full of brewing flaws then i make no such promises.

if anyone takes me up on this offer they can also keep the recipe and use it as they see fit in the future.

if anyone else has concerns that have not been addressed please just post them.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

No offense Matt, but if these brewers were serious about brewing a real IPA, I don't think they would need your recipe, guidance or financial guarantee.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

markaberrant wrote:No offense Matt, but if these brewers were serious about brewing a real IPA, I don't think they would need your recipe, guidance or financial guarantee.
thats kinda the point im trying to make. they say they want to but the market isnt ready, i say the market is and im willing to compensate anyone whos willing to "test the waters" if it doesnt work out

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Hey Matt, can I get a copy of this recipe? Would like to try brewing it myself at home. I got 2, good go-to IPA recipes but always looking for more.

Cheers,
Jay

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

jaymack wrote:Hey Matt, can I get a copy of this recipe? Would like to try brewing it myself at home. I got 2, good go-to IPA recipes but always looking for more.

Cheers,
Jay
itll be in your mail box shortly

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I love this idea. A bit brash, a bit outlandish, but damn it, that's what this province needs!

I'd be very impressed by any brewery that takes you up on this offer. Doubt it'll happen (for various reasons), but who knows? It could work.

Keep in mind there are many "X" factors in releasing a new product that could affect sales (pricing, name, design). So that's something to think about.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

To me, it seems a guaranteed source of:

A) Income for said brewery
B) Recognition of said brewery
C) Recognition of a great homebrewer
D) Great beer for the people of Ontario
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Why not organize the "Bartowel Contract Brewing Company", pick an under represented style and and pre-sell it a la Tsarina Katrina? I think it will work wonders (but am too lazy to put my own time and money into it... for now...)

I'm sure a local brewery would be glad to discuss the options (though probably not so much posting the details here...) with you if you are serious about it.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

JerCraigs wrote:Why not organize the "Bartowel Contract Brewing Company", pick an under represented style and and pre-sell it a la Tsarina Katrina? I think it will work wonders (but am too lazy to put my own time and money into it... for now...)

I'm sure a local brewery would be glad to discuss the options (though probably not so much posting the details here...) with you if you are serious about it.
great idea jerc!

if a brewery would like to do this please private message me, im not asking to work the details out in a public forum and you dont have to worry about pre-selling the batch because anything that doesnt sell im garunteed to purchase.

were just a private message away from getting the ball rolling

teichertbier

Post by teichertbier »

shintriad wrote: Keep in mind there are many "X" factors in releasing a new product that could affect sales (pricing, name, design). So that's something to think about.

I could do label design. :D