Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Peach Wheat coming to LCBO

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Great Lakes Peach Wheat coming to LCBO

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I was talking to a delivery driver on Tuesday night, and he mentioned that along with the Pumpkin Ale, the LCBO is also listing what he called a Peach Wheat Ale. Cool!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I was talking to a delivery driver on Tuesday night, and he mentioned that along with the Pumpkin Ale, the LCBO is also listing what he called a Peach Wheat Ale. Cool!
Len, I've looked into your future and I see......a tick!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I was talking to a delivery driver on Tuesday night, and he mentioned that along with the Pumpkin Ale, the LCBO is also listing what he called a Peach Wheat Ale. Cool!
Indeed. A tick, but more importantly, a really neat beer from one of my favourite local breweries!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Indeed. A tick, but more importantly, a really neat beer from one of my favourite local breweries!
i too hope it warrents repeat purchases

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Ya wussy! I wouldn't mind seeing a repeat of that fine brew whether in draft, cask or bottle. I suspect bottling it for mass availability wouldn't make financial sense except for limited stock at the brewery.
lister

notdan

Post by notdan »

Always looking forward to trying something new from Great Lakes, but a little disappointed they chose to release this instead of Miami Weisse or one of their new IPAs. Oh well. Also, they really need to make Canuck Pale Ale a general listing. The Canada Day batch was great.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

notdan wrote:Always looking forward to trying something new from Great Lakes, but a little disappointed they chose to release this instead of Miami Weisse or one of their new IPAs. Oh well. Also, they really need to make Canuck Pale Ale a general listing. The Canada Day batch was great.
All of this. Seems that everything GLB does these days is pure gold. Except for the Green Tea. Along with Flying Monkeys, GLB is certainly the most exciting brewery (for me, anyway) in the province, an I will continue to support them if they continue on this path. I also hope we see Bitter Wife or Miami Weiss (or a stout?) get 'BO'd at some point in the future...

As an aside (and to reiterate something I mentioned in the "What are you drinking now?" thread), has anyone tried fresh batches of the 666? It could just be my tastebuds, but it seems to me that they've tweaked the recipe on this to increase the hops (or perhaps change from UK to US varieties?), but it now tastes like it has the same hop profile of the Canuck, but with the dark maltiness of the 666. Really, really nice. If the recipe stays like this, it is going to be a mainstay in my fridge, whereas before I only bought the occasional can every couple of months. Check it out if you haven't had it for a few months, it's improved for the better (make sure you get fresh stock, though - bottom of the can should read G or H). Great work GLB, keep it up!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

velovampire wrote:[ has anyone tried fresh batches of the 666? It could just be my tastebuds, but it seems to me that they've tweaked the recipe on this to increase the hops (or perhaps change from UK to US varieties?), but it now tastes like it has the same hop profile of the Canuck, but with the dark maltiness of the 666. Really, really nice. it's improved for the better (make sure you get fresh stock, though - bottom of the can should read G or H). !
Very interesting, volovampire. I always liked the Canuck hop profile but felt it needed more body, while the 666 needed more exciting hops in the balance, so this sounds much improved. I will re-try the Devil's Pale since you commend it thusly.
In Beerum Veritas

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Belgian wrote:[I will re-try the Devil's Pale since you commend it thusly.
Allright, I want proof you can use "thusly" in a sentence. I object profusely!

notdan

Post by notdan »

velovampire wrote: As an aside (and to reiterate something I mentioned in the "What are you drinking now?" thread), has anyone tried fresh batches of the 666? It could just be my tastebuds, but it seems to me that they've tweaked the recipe on this to increase the hops (or perhaps change from UK to US varieties?), but it now tastes like it has the same hop profile of the Canuck, but with the dark maltiness of the 666. Really, really nice. If the recipe stays like this, it is going to be a mainstay in my fridge, whereas before I only bought the occasional can every couple of months. Check it out if you haven't had it for a few months, it's improved for the better (make sure you get fresh stock, though - bottom of the can should read G or H). Great work GLB, keep it up!
So... I think you're right. I picked up one can from my nearby LCBO today, canned on July 21, and was pleasantly surprised by the extent of the hoppiness. The aroma was huge. Still lots of caramel malt and the aftertaste still has an English tinge to it, but the hop profile has definitely evolved. Awesome stuff. I'll probably be stocking my fridge with this in the fall in Waterloo (been giving Quebec most of my beer budget lately).

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

notdan wrote:
velovampire wrote: As an aside (and to reiterate something I mentioned in the "What are you drinking now?" thread), has anyone tried fresh batches of the 666? It could just be my tastebuds, but it seems to me that they've tweaked the recipe on this to increase the hops (or perhaps change from UK to US varieties?), but it now tastes like it has the same hop profile of the Canuck, but with the dark maltiness of the 666. Really, really nice. If the recipe stays like this, it is going to be a mainstay in my fridge, whereas before I only bought the occasional can every couple of months. Check it out if you haven't had it for a few months, it's improved for the better (make sure you get fresh stock, though - bottom of the can should read G or H). Great work GLB, keep it up!
So... I think you're right. I picked up one can from my nearby LCBO today, canned on July 21, and was pleasantly surprised by the extent of the hoppiness. The aroma was huge. Still lots of caramel malt and the aftertaste still has an English tinge to it, but the hop profile has definitely evolved. Awesome stuff. I'll probably be stocking my fridge with this in the fall in Waterloo (been giving Quebec most of my beer budget lately).
Yes! The blossoming aroma is what struck me the most as well. So citrusy. Increase in flavour hops, too. I've been enjoying lots of this one lately. The cans I picked up today were dated Aug. 17. Pretty fresh. :D

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

notdan wrote:Always looking forward to trying something new from Great Lakes, but a little disappointed they chose to release this instead of Miami Weisse or one of their new IPAs.
There actually are plans to get the Miami Weisse into the LCBO - they've even designed the can already. But my understanding is that there were hold ups due to the usual red tape, and by the time it was approved, they decided to hold off until next year so they could release it around Victoria Day for the full summer season. Makes sense from a marketing perspective.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

GregClow wrote:
notdan wrote:Always looking forward to trying something new from Great Lakes, but a little disappointed they chose to release this instead of Miami Weisse or one of their new IPAs.
There actually are plans to get the Miami Weisse into the LCBO - they've even designed the can already. But my understanding is that there were hold ups due to the usual red tape, and by the time it was approved, they decided to hold off until next year so they could release it around Victoria Day for the full summer season. Makes sense from a marketing perspective.
Niiiice! Thanks for the update, Greg.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I think almost all my beer money will be going to great lakes next year. I could drink miami weisse all day/night long.