Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mustard

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Here's a good external thread that might help you out:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/699960

Obviously, Kozlik's is great, and it's carried by a lot of specialty stores around Toronto. Their site seems to be down right now, though.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I heard that Volo/biergotter/Dieu du Ciel are working on a mustard with a Quebecois twist. I think they said its going to be called Stéphane Dijon.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Last edited by mintjellie on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Bobsy wrote:I heard that Volo/biergotter/Dieu du Ciel are working on a mustard with a Quebecois twist. I think they said its going to be called Stéphane Dijon.
hahahahaha

well, we are brewing together in a few weeks, and eric has made mustard with our beer before... perhaps not as crazy an idea as you'd think!

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Col. Mustard in the Library with the candlestick. Hopefully that will end this thread.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:I heard that Volo/biergotter/Dieu du Ciel are working on a mustard with a Quebecois twist. I think they said its going to be called Stéphane Dijon.
--- I think you mean Celine Dijon. An irritating French mustard with a high nose and grating overtones.
In Beerum Veritas

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

I think I can pull this all together, try this
A ska band called "Mustard Plug" with a song called "Beer (Song)" from Grand Rapids MI and they'll be in Toronto in October!!

Now if only we can get them to London again!! :o

http://www.mustardplug.com/videos/beerstreetfair.php

_sloth

Post by _sloth »

I would be surprised if London doesn't have a few specialty food stores. Strangely, I find different mustards at an Italian Bakery yet not so much at a European run gourmet food store.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Hey guys, I just went to a mustard festival in Buffalo and then threw a thesaurus at a wall and put the results on my blog along with some closeup money shots of a bunch of different wholegrain mustards from Pennsylvania that you've never tried. Link in sig!
saintjohnswort.ca

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Anyone else think weisswurst, weissbier, Bavarian sweet mustard, and a pretzel is truly a great meal?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:Anyone else think weisswurst, weissbier, Bavarian sweet mustard, and a pretzel is truly a great meal?
I've never has a weisswurst. Like to try it though.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
mintjellie wrote:Anyone else think weisswurst, weissbier, Bavarian sweet mustard, and a pretzel is truly a great meal?
I've never has a weisswurst. Like to try it though.
Thats what she said. :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah. Especially in Weissenburg. For breakfast. (Not kidding about either.)

Sausage making is a European art form, mostly non-existent here, so I really reccomend you enjoy this calf brains sausage in Bavaria. The ones they sell here are probably mainly pigs fat, fillers and preservatives, but the real German ones barely last for one day because of of the authentic preparation using the calfs brains.
In Beerum Veritas

Queef

Post by Queef »

Mrs. McGarrigle's

http://www.mustard.ca/
it's beer o'clock.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Belgian wrote:
Yeah. Especially in Weissenburg. For breakfast. (Not kidding about either.)

Sausage making is a European art form, mostly non-existent here, so I really reccomend you enjoy this calf brains sausage in Bavaria. The ones they sell here are probably mainly pigs fat, fillers and preservatives, but the real German ones barely last for one day because of of the authentic preparation using the calfs brains.
I thought they ate it for second breakfast, or is that more of a Munich thing?

TBH, I've never had the real thing in Bavaria, though I'd like to someday. With that said, my stepmoms parents, who came from Bavaria, always used to buy Brandt weisswurst. Even if its not the same as what they would eat in the old country, it was good enough for them here. I think it tastes pretty good at least.

Especially with weissbier, mustard, and a pretzel.

He was a guy who never really lost his appreciation for quality. He was a baker by trade, owned a little place in Scarborough called Cafe Bavaria, and right up until he sold the place and retired he always did everything from scratch without cutting corners. And he loved his Hacker-Pschorr. God bless and keep him.