Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Making a trip to Premier Gourmet

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

Hey guys first post, long time lurker. I'm headed down tonight and I've always wondered how much I can bring back over the border legally.. we'll be down for about 30 hours..

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I think it's a case after 24 hours. They don't seem to specify size of the bottles in that case. Course, last time I made the trip it was in a car with a coroner's sticker on the windshield, so they may just not have cared for that reason.
saintjohnswort.ca

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

electroluminescent wrote:Hey guys first post, long time lurker. I'm headed down tonight and I've always wondered how much I can bring back over the border legally.. we'll be down for about 30 hours..
There is no amount you can bring back to Canada under 48 hours in the US. It isn't "illegal" to bring beer though, you may just have to pay duty on it. There is some amount that is a maxium that you can bring (ie. you can't bring 50 cases), but I don't know what that is.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'm pretty sure the rule is if you spend 2 nights across the border it counts as 48 hours, although I may be mistaken on that
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

icemachine wrote:I'm pretty sure the rule is if you spend 2 nights across the border it counts as 48 hours, although I may be mistaken on that
You are correct and 7 nights counts as a week.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

electroluminescent wrote:Hey guys first post, long time lurker. I'm headed down tonight and I've always wondered how much I can bring back over the border legally.. we'll be down for about 30 hours..
1 case equivalent (8.5L) duty-free after 48 hours.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts- ... 0-eng.html

Less time spent in the US than that and you might get nicked with taxes.

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

Thanks everybody, looks like I'm paying duty or telling lies, so paying duty it is.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Ukie wrote:
icemachine wrote:I'm pretty sure the rule is if you spend 2 nights across the border it counts as 48 hours, although I may be mistaken on that
I disagree on this. IMO, the "48 hours" means 48 actual hours.

The "7 days" doesn't need to actually be 7*24 hours - partial days can count toward the 7 days.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Here is what I would suggest (based on what was there about a week ago):

IPAs/DIPAs:
Avery Maharaja
Ithaca Flower Power
Bear Republic Racer 5
Smuttynose Finest Kind
Great Divide Titan IPA
Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian IPA

Stouts:
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
Goose Island Night Stalker
Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Stout
Great Divide Yeti Stout (also Oak Aged Yeti)
Troegs Java Head Stout

Other:
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter (best porter around)
Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Barleywine
Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Bock
Bear Republic Red Rocket
Great Divide Denver Pale Ale
Troeg's Flying Mouflan Barleywine

If you like Pumpkin beers there are some great ones that are allo relatively fresh: Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale, DFH Punkin, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin.

In general, Great Lakes is an awesome brewery and all of their styles are worth trying. But I would take a look at the dates before buying any ad I have noticed recently that Premier has some major freshness issues with their Great Lakes beers. The freshness dates are printed on the label - very easy to find.

Unfortunately, Bell's & Founders don't distribute to NY.

Hope that helps.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

sstackho wrote:
Ukie wrote:

The "7 days" doesn't need to actually be 7*24 hours - partial days can count toward the 7 days.
If you look at an actual customs form (the ones they give you during air travel) they say that you could the day you come back but not the day you arrive towards your 7 days. So it basically is 7x24 hours... not that that matters as your alcohol exepmption never increases from the 1 case you are allowed after 48 hours.

El Torpedo

Post by El Torpedo »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Hope that helps.
You went above and beyond with that reply! Great post - thanks very much.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

El Torpedo wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Hope that helps.
Premier just updated their inventory on line. You can see the list here: https://premiergourmet.com/store/pages/Beer-List.html

Let us know what you end up getting...

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

sstackho wrote:
Ukie wrote:

Every time I've crossed the Borders, they just ask what day we first crossed, not the time of crossing. So, you could cross at 10pm Friday, come back 11am Sunday, they will count that as 48 hours. That is my experience anyway.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Planning your beer haul is great, whether it’s from word of mouth on this forum or through outlets like Rate Beer and Beer Advocate, but don't over plan. Leave a certain percentage for beers you've never heard of, breweries you know next to nothing about and styles you are unfamiliar with. Yeah, you'll inevitably pick up some duds, but you'll discover some mind blowing beers that you might remember far longer than the ones you planned on purchasing because you will feel that you "discovered" a hidden gem.

That said, if it was me, I wouldn't leave without a bottle of 3 Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek or Oude Geuze.

Edit: Oops. Those 3 Fonteinen are out of stock.....substitute the plain Kriek, which is in stock.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
El Torpedo wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Hope that helps.
Premier just updated their inventory on line. You can see the list here: https://premiergourmet.com/store/pages/Beer-List.html
is that list legit stock or is just a bunch of beers that they sometimes do carry?

i know consumer beverages has a list like that as well but it's not exactly representative of what you'll find at a typical location.