Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Making a trip to Premier Gourmet

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Torpedo

Making a trip to Premier Gourmet

Post by El Torpedo »

I'll be passing through Buffalo in October, and plan to make a stop at Premiere. I'd love to get some inspiration from the members here on what to pick up - your "must have" brew that you can't get at the LCBO. Style doesn't really matter - open to any and all suggestions.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

what styles do you like?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Whenever I'm shopping in Buffalo I tend to stick with US micros as they are a significant better value than imports and you can get some awesome beers. That being said, you might want to pick up a Belgian lambic since those are rare/nonexistent in LCBO and not replicated in the US.

Dogfish, Victory, Stone, Avery, Great Divide, Ommegang, Allagash, Green Flash, Southern Tier, Sierra Nevada - all breweries worth a look.

heebes

Post by heebes »

has anybody seen Pliney the Elder at Premier?
planning on making the trek in Oct too, great thread.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

heebes wrote:has anybody seen Pliney the Elder at Premier?
planning on making the trek in Oct too, great thread.
no, pliny rarely leave CA

El Torpedo

Post by El Torpedo »

matt7215 wrote:what styles do you like?
I don't want to limit myself to style. My regular "go to" beer would be an American Pale Ale, usually Tankhouse, Hoptical Illusion, etc., but I love a good pilsner, stout, belgian ale, etc.

Last time I was there I picked up a some Delerium Tremens, Delerium Nocturnum, Dogfish Head Midas Touch (loved it), a bottle of Brooklyn's Black Ops. The thing was I went in completely unprepared, and was more than a little overwhelmed by the selection.

heebes

Post by heebes »

Cass wrote:Dogfish, Victory, Stone, Avery, Great Divide, Ommegang, Allagash, Green Flash, Southern Tier, Sierra Nevada - all breweries worth a look.
yeah, all of which i was planning on stock piling. i guess Bell's doesnt make it to NY eh? Maybe add a few Rogue beers to that list.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I was there recently and got a bottle of Pliny the illegitimate son.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Troegs Troegenator
Pretty Things Jack D'Or
Ommegang Hennepin
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Southern Tier Iniquity, Heavy Weizen
Coney Island Albino Python
Middle Ages Dragonslayer, Tripel Crown
Victory Wild Devil

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

PG has a terrific selection of various styles to try, a couple I would reccomend for someone like yourself are:

Smuttynose (Saison, porter, RIS)
Victory (Storm King, Hop Devil)
Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence
De Ranke
Great Lakes (Anything)

They might even have some Goose Island Nightstalker left which is a top notch Imperial Stout.

El Torpedo

Post by El Torpedo »

mintjellie, ritzkiss - this is great. Thanks! Anyone else, feel free to keep 'em coming!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I typically grab something from Great Lakes or DFH (will likely grab the Great Lakes Octoberfest tomorrow) and something new. the great thing about Premier (and buffalo in general) is the opportunity to try something new. My last few trips have yielded:

Flying dog Raging Bitch IPA
DFH 90 Minute
Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale
Sly Fox Pilsner
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere
DFH Raison d' Etre
Stone Ruination
Victory Storm King Stout
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
Great Lakes Eliot Ness

And even if there's nothing at Premier you want there's still Consumers and Village Beer Merchant to check out.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Beer Here Dark Hops, Beer Here Morke
In Beerum Veritas

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Imperial Stouts:

It has been mentioned above, but if you like imperial stouts, Victory Storm King is the best value. I'd be picking up a case if you have room. It is a total bargin, as others with the same quality start at 1 1/2 or double the price.

Having said that Great Divide Yeti (or Oak aged Yeti) is my favourite beer you can get in Buffalo but much pricier.

Double IPAs:

Great Divide Hercules, or Southern Tier Unearthy. The latter you can buy on consigment through the distributor here R&R.

IPAs:

Victory Hop Devil
Stone IPA

Cheers,
Tom

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

StevenThrasher wrote:Imperial Stouts:

It has been mentioned above, but if you like imperial stouts, Victory Storm King is the best value. I'd be picking up a case if you have room.
Although I'd try one first, since everybody's idea of an 'ideal' imperial stout can be different. Great price, yes.
StevenThrasher wrote: IPAs:

Victory Hop Devil
Stone IPA
Totally agree on Stone, Hop Devil, maybe I'd opt for others. I know Troeg's Nugget Nectar (like many others) is very seasonal, but that's my #1 pick for superior IPA. Bear Republic Racer 5 too. Wasn't blown away by Green Flash, and it's popular and very expensive.
Speaking of Seasonal, PG have Boskeun from De Dolle, and it's totally delicious for buying and drinking right now.
In Beerum Veritas