Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo IPA Challenge Smashbomb vs. My Bitter Wife

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Volo IPA Challenge Smashbomb vs. My Bitter Wife

Post by PeenSteen »

Hey now that its over who do you think won. Yes, I know voting was done at the bar in a blind tasting but what do you guys think.

Smashbomb is my vote!

Soods

Post by Soods »

I was under the impression that it was going on all week long.

In all the other rounds, Great Lakes My Bitter Wife has always had the highest score with Smashbomb very close behind. Will be hard to tell. Sometimes you just get a bad cask and it can cost you the whole challenge.

Either way, both brews have been very enjoyable. I just wish someone would get it to market so we can enjoy it on a more regular basis.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I've tasted both but I think it is like comparing apples to oranges....both brewers pursued different directions in constructing a big IPA with 2 distinctly different results.

From what I have tasted, nothing in this market comes close to Smash Bomb for balance, finished rounded character, depth and layering of both hops and malts....but that's what I prefer in an ale, others have different evaluation priorities.
Aventinus rules!

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

pootz wrote: From what I have tasted, nothing in this market comes close to Smash Bomb for balance, finished rounded character, depth and layering of both hops and malts....but that's what I prefer in an ale, others have different evaluation priorities.
I totally agree with you there its very well balanced and those citra hops dont hurt either

Soods

Post by Soods »

Well the voting is over and it looks like My Bitter Wife reigned supreme! I thought that Smashbomb would take it, so well done to Mike at Great Lakes for pulling out what seems to be somewhat of a upset.

Now can we expect a few bottles of My Bitter Wife showing up at Great Lakes in Project X bottles? :D

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

its great to see these 2 breweries in the finals because IMO they are doing more to push the craft beer movement in this province then their competition. its doesnt matter which beer came out on top because really Ontario beer drinkers won.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Soods wrote: Now can we expect a few bottles of My Bitter Wife showing up at Great Lakes in Project X bottles?
Or how about the LCBO? Duggan managed to get his #9 into the 'BO within a year of winning the 2009 IPA Challenge.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

I thought Smashbomb had it for sure. I'm quite shocked actually, though it might have something to do with me not really liking My Bitter Wife and not understanding why people like it so much. Oh well, good for Great Lakes I don't want to take away from what they accomplished.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Based on the best samples I have had of the Smashbomb, I would say it won hands down. Based on the "worst" samples of Smashbomb, its a much closer competition. I just find that the Smashbomb has delivered a pretty varied amount of citrus presentation on tap. I don't know if that reflects different batches, the venue serving it (I've had it at Volo, Beer Bistro, CW, and Bryden's now, with mixed results a the same venues even), days since the keg was tapped etc.

Both are rather good beers, and frankly I think its awesome that we have enough decent IPAs in Ontario finally to bother having a competition!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Does Great Lakes bottle My Bitter Wife at all? Is it available for growler fill at the brewery? How can I get my hands on this one to try?

Same goes for Smash Bomb ...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Does Great Lakes bottle My Bitter Wife at all? Is it available for growler fill at the brewery? How can I get my hands on this one to try?

you can find both on tap in TO

great lakes bottles my bitter wife occasionally a few bombers at a time. call the brewery before you go.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

matt7215 wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Does Great Lakes bottle My Bitter Wife at all? Is it available for growler fill at the brewery? How can I get my hands on this one to try?

great lakes bottles my bitter wife occasionally a few bombers at a time. call the brewery before you go.
Thanks. I guess I will have to call the brewery.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
matt7215 wrote:

Thanks. I guess I will have to call the brewery.
Peter will usually hook up those interested with pre-release bottles for sampling/ gospel spreading purposes as well.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Peter is the man...Probably the nicest guy I have met in my time as an uber beer nerd

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:

Or just come down to London. We're a friendly bunch and we don't bite. And we won't charge you $20 for parking. :)

Smashbomb is on at Chancey's right now.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!