Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo IPA Challenge Smashbomb vs. My Bitter Wife

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Does Great Lakes bottle My Bitter Wife at all? Is it available for growler fill at the brewery? How can I get my hands on this one to try?

Same goes for Smash Bomb ...
I've picked up My Bitter Wife in Project X bottles at the brewery a few times. Either call the brewery or drop in and take your chances. I do the latter and haven't been disappointed yet.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Smashbomb today was excellent, a previous try it had some cat pee-sulfuric thing from the hops (not in a bad way, just different.) Today's version was like Canuck but more rounded and citrus peel, less dry.

Q:
In general - do brewers trying their hand at American IPA styles have a hard time with 'repeat-ability' of their best efforts? Is it a fragile beast with hops always being a bit different, etc.
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Belgian wrote:Smashbomb today was excellent, a previous try it had some cat pee-sulfuric thing from the hops (not in a bad way, just different.) Today's version was like Canuck but more rounded and citrus peel, less dry.

Q:
In general - do brewers trying their hand at American IPA styles have a hard time with 'repeat-ability' of their best efforts? Is it a fragile beast with hops always being a bit different, etc.
Flying Monkeys have been tweaking Smashbomb. It's been through, I think, three different batches so far, each slightly different. v1.0 was the one that smell catty.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

kinguy wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Does Great Lakes bottle My Bitter Wife at all? Is it available for growler fill at the brewery? How can I get my hands on this one to try?

Same goes for Smash Bomb ...
I've picked up My Bitter Wife in Project X bottles at the brewery a few times. Either call the brewery or drop in and take your chances. I do the latter and haven't been disappointed yet.
I've tried calling a couple of times and they have never been available when I call. I hope the victory in this IPA challenge gives Great Lakes some incentive to step up production of this beer. There is such a HUGE demand for great IPAs in the Ontario market and it seems like no one really wants to step up and brew/bottle any. I applaud Black Oak for the second run of 10BY given their limited capacity.

Soods

Post by Soods »

At last night's Project X they were selling bottles of My Bitter Wife.