Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2010 Canadian Brewing Awards

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Do you think it is right/good for real all natural micro beer to be incompetitions with corporate brewers or adjunct/extract beer?

Yes
73%
no
13%
neutral
15%

Total votes: 40

abbeyphile

Post by abbeyphile »

cratez wrote:
Whether or not the awards were blind-judged by experts doesn't matter to me if a beer like Molson Export is crowned as Canada's best blonde ale. It's simply inaccurate, and it risks confusing beer drinkers into thinking that, within certain styles, the big boys are "just as good" as the crafters. They're not.
It's true that in our world of elevated beer knowledge (geekery) that this may seem to be the case. But as with many of the negative and pessimistic posts on this site, your not seeing this from the right angle. Our network of afficionados is SMALL, and although it is growing every day, still doesn't represent a fraction of the general beer drinking population. If anyone other than those who's lives depend on beer see the results of the CBA's, they'll actually notice that craft beer is just as good as the big guys. In fact, they'll see that it is 88% better than the good guys (or whatever the percentage is), and will therefore give it more credibility when they go to a bar where they can't get their Stella, Coors, Canadian, whatever. This is in fact good in the long term for the craft brewing community. We surely shouldn't be threatened by the big boys as over time people's educated palates will help them to make the decision of what beer to drink. In all major beer festivals and competitions throughout the world, big breweries are always entered and always win medals. It's because they are good at what they do, whether you choose to like it or not.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I know which results to take with a grain of salt. I figure if the company is canadian, then they have every right to participate. Maybe one year we can have Canadian Macro Awards.

Glad to see LTM's excellent Porter and Keller get some recognition. They have become my favorite Quebec brewery.

abbeyphile

Post by abbeyphile »

In fact, they'll see that it is 88% better than the good guys (or whatever the percentage is)
Oops! what I meant was 88% better than the BIG guys (or bad guys, or whatever).

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

saints_gambit wrote: It's a blind tasting. There's no collusion and no real possibility for it. The scores came in the way they came in. To suggest that the BJCP qualified judges are wrong sort of negates the necessity of the entire process.
I don't think anyone's suggesting collusion so much as questioning why some of the style categories - Lager, Premium Lager, Light Lager, Blonde Ale - are ostensibly designed to favour the macro brewers (see Rob's post). It makes me wonder whether the judges are actually looking for "the best Premium Lager in Canada" or simply trying to encourage more brewers, macro or micro, to enter the competition since even the shittiest beers have a good chance of winning. If the latter is the case then the award doesn't have any meaning in my eyes.
saints_gambit wrote: You could try to beat them, but it's unlikely you'll be able to do so in the categories that they win. There is a reason, whether you like it or not, that 90% of the population drinks that stuff. They like it.
Right. Because mass marketing, a conservative beer culture, and social pressures to drink whatever your friends or family drink don't have anything to do with "90 percent" of the population buying slop. You're confusing sales numbers with quality. I agree that many of the people who drink macro beers genuinely enjoy them and have no interest in trying something different.

But the argument that craft brewers can't make a better pale lager, light lager, or blonde ale than the macros is pure BS. Grand River, Niagara's Best, Cameron's, Walkerville, Muskoka, McAuslan, and Railway City all make beers that obliterate the macro winners in these categories. And that's just the breweries from Ontario and Quebec. I'm sure there's many more micros throughout the country that make 'award-winning' lagers and blondes.
saints_gambit wrote: I know you don't like Molson products. I know you don't like people who drink Molson products. I know you would rather eat only cabbage for a week than drink a 50.
Actually, none of this true. I don't mind Molson beers if they're the only thing available to me. Most of my friends drink Molson/Sleeman/Keith's, so your assumption that I'm some elitist who can't associate with macro drinkers is dead wrong. And IMHO 50 is one of the best macros out there (along with PBR). But there's a big difference between 'not minding' a beer and dubbing it an award winner. Just because it's drinkable and popular among the masses doesn't mean it deserves a gold medal at a national beer competition.

If I were to revise my position I would say let the macros enter for the purpose of being fair, open, and representative. But any time they take home an award it will be questioned by those - like myself - who imbibe in the good stuff and who want to take the awards seriously.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Don't drink with your eyes.

and.

Relax. Have a home-brew.
enjoi

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

abbeyphile wrote: We surely shouldn't be threatened by the big boys as over time people's educated palates will help them to make the decision of what beer to drink.

I don't see how crowning Molson M as the country's best Premium Lager, Molson Dry as one of the top lagers, and Molson Export as a gold medal blonde serves to educate beer drinkers and refine their palates. If anything it obfuscates the difference between truly premium, flavourful, and unique all grain craft beer and generic swill brands derived from the same wort.

I'm not expressing a "pessimistic" view for the purpose of being negative and contrary, as you seem to infer. I'm just questioning what I see as bullshit, and I know others feel the same way (even if we're in the minority here).

In terms of educating beer drinkers, I think it's great that a brewery like Garrison can slap the "Canadian Beer of the Year" sticker on their IPA. It can probably entice the beer curious, discerning enophiles, and middle aged dads to buy a craft beer that they would otherwise ignore. Same goes for all the crafters that win in specific categories and use it to their advantage.

But I'm not sure how the awards benefit the macros aside from shutting out more worthy craft brewers from winning medals. From what I can tell the Big Three don't use the awards for marketing since they're in the business of keeping beer drinkers ignorant (on the one hand) and fiercely loyal to certain brands (on the other).
abbeyphile wrote: In all major beer festivals and competitions throughout the world, big breweries are always entered and always win medals. It's because they are good at what they do.
And what is it that they do so well in Canada? Take Labatt Blue and literally water it down to create Blue Light? Brew beers that are as tasteless and inoffensive as possible? Make "fizzy yellow stuff" that doesn't suffer from the quality control issues of the very worst craft breweries? None of these things should make you an award winner in a national beer competition.

Beyond all of this, I don't think people in the craft beer community should be thanking the very breweries that happily shut out micros from festivals and bars, and require them to pay fees to sell their beers (The Beer Store), by giving them awards for their shit products. The macros will dominate with or without this competition.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

cratez wrote:Beyond all of this, I don't think people in the craft beer community should be thanking the very breweries that happily shut out micros from festivals and bars, and require them to pay fees to sell their beers (The Beer Store), by giving them awards for their shit products. The macros will dominate with or without this competition.
I think you're taking this a little too seriously. Firstly, the Canadian Brewing Awards do not just recognise craft beer brewers, but all brewers in Canada, so the submission process is opent. The aim is to give a good overview of the whole canadian beer scene and not just a segment, and if the judges pick molslon as a winner under blind conditions, so be it.

Secondly, this is a judged competition and has all the inherent flaws that the process implies. After doing several blind tastings myself, I can tell we've picked a Molson product as the best of 8 wheat beers sampled - its not so easy to judge 'quality' when you can't see the label. Also, the medal is the determination of a very small group of people who may have differing views to yourself - they disagree with me I don't care - I don't need three guys to tell me what the best beers in a catefory are. This just presents a good marketing opportunity to the brewers who want to use it (see Mill Street for a good example). The CBAs are a great tool for beer in Canada and raising awareness, but to take the pronouncements as gospel is not the correct approach.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Bobsy wrote: I think you're taking this a little too seriously.
LOL. I stated in my post that, given some of the results, I can't take the awards seriously (even though I'd like to). They will not influence any of my purchasing decisions. Some of my comments were questioned, and I responded to those posts. Just because I've expressed a critical opinion, and disagree with the dominant view here, doesn't mean I take the competition 'too seriously.'
Bobsy wrote: The Canadian Brewing Awards do not just recognise craft beer brewers, but all brewers in Canada, so the submission process is open. The aim is to give a good overview of the whole canadian beer scene and not just a segment.
Not sure why you felt the need to restate the obvious. The 'openness' is what's being questioned by this thread. Most people are fine with the macros entering, some of us aren't (for the reasons already mentioned).
Bobsy wrote: If the judges pick Molslon as a winner under blind conditions, so be it.
Yes, but the criteria for some of the categories has been criticized. Molson was picked according to style requirements that would seemingly prevent hoppy craft lagers from winning. Perhaps the guidelines should be broadened to allow for more and better competition?
Bobsy wrote: The medal is the determination of a very small group of people who may have differing views to yourself. I don't need three guys to tell me what the best beers in a catefory are...to take the pronouncements as gospel is not the correct approach.
Agreed. But it's difficult to say how less educated consumers interpret the awards. Again, I don't see how any further recognition of macro beers as "the best" - a message that is already marketed to and perpetuated among Canadians on a daily basis - will serve to educate consumers and push them toward craft beer.
Bobsy wrote: This just presents a good marketing opportunity to the brewers who want to use it (see Mill Street for a good example). The CBAs are a great tool for beer in Canada and raising awareness.
Yep. Like I said in my last post, I'm all for breweries like Garrison and Mill Street and Black Oak using the awards to their advantage. They've earned their medals by making good quality beer. I haven't seen any of the macros use the awards as marketing tools, though, so it's unfortunate when they crowd out micros that most likely make a better beer and would actually capitalize on a win.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

After reading all of this thread, the most important question hasn't been answered. I'm still wondering how Denison's Dunkel won gold for best Kellerbier?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote:After reading all of this thread, the most important question hasn't been answered. I'm still wondering how Denison's Dunkel won gold for best Kellerbier?
Hey, at least they broke down the '23. Specialty' category!

(Aside: the Andechser Dunkel Naturtrüb Jubiläumsbier was one of my all-time favourites).

Maybe someday they'll have keller, zwickel, landbier and ungespundet hefetrüb sub-categories? :wink:

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

markaberrant wrote:
matt7215 wrote:ISO: Molson Virgin American Oak Barrel Aged Weasel Poop Imperial Stout
I would like to have seen how this beer would fare in the stout category:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1950s-LABATTS-CREAM- ... 2ea43f06e2
I've got a few full stubbies from the late 60's/early 70's if anyone wants to do a comparison. :lol:

Saison

Post by Saison »

Does anybody do any accounting of the money that gets paid by entrants. $39,000 by my math.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

I'm just not there any more on the awards thing. They are about as authentic as the finest and freshest ingredients junk on every micro label. It is exhausting.

Peace
P-

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

Just a quick comment about my Dunkel and the category it was entered in the Canadian Brewing Awards. I'm not sure if you were looking for a reply, Len.
I looked for a European Dark Lager category and there wasn't one; only North American Dark Lager. If I had entered the Dunkel in that category it would have got penalised for having too much flavour. This has happened in the past, believe me. To my surprise I found a new category, Kellerbier/Zwickelbier, which allows light or dark Munich style beers. See the guidelines pasted below:

8. Kellerbier/Zwickelbier

Traditional Kellerbier examples are typically unfiltered and often young, not fully lagered versions of Germanic lager styles

of beer such as Münchner-Style Helles and Dunkel, Dortmunder/European-Style Export, Bohemianstyle Pilsener and

German-style Pilsener. Kellerbier is noticeably less carbonated. Subtle or low levels of esters may be apparent. This is an

unfiltered beer but it may be naturally clear due to settling of yeast during aging. They may or may not be clear. Exhibiting a

small amount of yeast haze in the appearance is acceptable. Low to moderately low levels of yeast-generated sulfur compounds

in aroma and flavor should be apparent, and low levels of acetaldehyde or other volatiles normally scrubbed during

fermentation may or may not be apparent. The sulfur and acetaldehyde characters should contribute positively to the beer

drinking experience. Dry hopping is acceptable. Head retention may not be optimal.

Original Gravity (°Plato): Varies with style

Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato): Varies with style

Alcohol by Weight (Volume): Varies with style

Bitterness (IBU): Varies with style

Colour SRM (EBC): Varies with style

Perfect!...........and I'm very happy to have got the Gold. The only thing that the beer wasn't is young (see above) but then neither am I and I still like to hang out with people of all ages.
Pros't
Michael

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

the.brewer wrote:Just a quick comment about my Dunkel and the category it was entered in the Canadian Brewing Awards. I'm not sure if you were looking for a reply, Len.
I looked for a European Dark Lager category and there wasn't one; only North American Dark Lager. If I had entered the Dunkel in that category it would have got penalised for having too much flavour. This has happened in the past, believe me. To my surprise I found a new category, Kellerbier/Zwickelbier, which allows light or dark Munich style beers. See the guidelines pasted below:

8. Kellerbier/Zwickelbier

Traditional Kellerbier examples are typically unfiltered and often young, not fully lagered versions of Germanic lager styles

of beer such as Münchner-Style Helles and Dunkel, Dortmunder/European-Style Export, Bohemianstyle Pilsener and

German-style Pilsener. Kellerbier is noticeably less carbonated. Subtle or low levels of esters may be apparent. This is an

unfiltered beer but it may be naturally clear due to settling of yeast during aging. They may or may not be clear. Exhibiting a

small amount of yeast haze in the appearance is acceptable. Low to moderately low levels of yeast-generated sulfur compounds

in aroma and flavor should be apparent, and low levels of acetaldehyde or other volatiles normally scrubbed during

fermentation may or may not be apparent. The sulfur and acetaldehyde characters should contribute positively to the beer

drinking experience. Dry hopping is acceptable. Head retention may not be optimal.

Original Gravity (°Plato): Varies with style

Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato): Varies with style

Alcohol by Weight (Volume): Varies with style

Bitterness (IBU): Varies with style

Colour SRM (EBC): Varies with style

Perfect!...........and I'm very happy to have got the Gold. The only thing that the beer wasn't is young (see above) but then neither am I and I still like to hang out with people of all ages.
Pros't
Michael

Thanks Michael.

Its a great beer and certainly deserves all of its accolades. I was just curious how it ended up in that category. Now I know! :) Thanks and congrats!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!