Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2010 Canadian Brewing Awards

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Do you think it is right/good for real all natural micro beer to be incompetitions with corporate brewers or adjunct/extract beer?

Yes
73%
no
13%
neutral
15%

Total votes: 40

pootz
Beer Superstar

2010 Canadian Brewing Awards

Post by pootz »

Is there a reason the comments were closed? Will I be outlawed for going near this taboo?

Would the taboo on critical feedback of the CBAs have anything to do with 2 mega brewers and over a half dozen LME/DME/adjunct beers winning awards? Marketeers with thin skins?

Reading the results the word 'farce' entered my thoughts as I wrote but I choked it back under the slightest hope perhaps by offering no critical feed to this annual event micro brewers will get a break.

Maybe my hopes are unrealistic for our commercial micros becoming inspired and encouraged to as experimental, innovative, and as radical as our home brewers are....perhaps some day....when that day comes there will be an end to the mega brewers riding into these events to blur the distinction between small batch all grain, quality made naturally brewed micro beer and the over-processed beer-like adjunct beverages macros manufacture. The distinction in the public eye should be as clear day and night but it isn't....not yet....let's hope it gets there.

WE should segregate the junk beer industry out of our national micro (real beer) awards by running national comps based on the German purity law (allowing only gristed rye/barley/wheat malt, yeast, hops and water) for all traditional categories then allowing only natural (un processed) adjuncts for specialty beers using real coffee, tea, fruit or pumpkin or spice. No sugar, food chemistry, DME/LME, corn/glucose syrups, stabilizers or clarifying agents. Just real beer! CBAs associate real crafted micro beer with corporate high volume adjunct/processed beer ceverages leaving no distinction in the mind of the consumer (IMHO on purpose)....that is a death knell to micro real beer brewing.

BTW: Anyone think Molson beer can even begin to compare with the quality and freshness of the local micro lager you quaff....or your favorite home brewed lager?

Rant mode off...said my peace....I'm ready to be banned from another beer site for speaking ugly truths.

BTW 2: if you're going to vote "yes" in the poll have the courtesy and intellect to offer your reasoning in a post.
Last edited by pootz on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I think they should be free to enter the comps. Let the chips fall where they may.

Although you could question the need to have 4-6 categories dedicated to such beers...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

pootz wrote:Is there a reason the comments were closed? Will I be outlawed for going near this taboo?
Comments are always closed on the posts on the home page, so we can keep discussions in the forum rather than here and there.

Feel free to discuss this topic, it's certainly not outlawed.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

The CBA judging is done blind, so the results should be accepted as they are. Sometimes the big macros make good examples of certain styles. They aren't styles I like to drink, but I take that for what it is. Knowing the people who run and judge these awards I think its integrity is beyond doubt.

Results aren't cast in stone - I usually disagree with the oscars, but that doesn't mean they don't have value.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Cass wrote:
pootz wrote:Is there a reason the comments were closed? Will I be outlawed for going near this taboo?
Comments are always closed on the posts on the home page, so we can keep discussions in the forum rather than here and there.

Feel free to discuss this topic, it's certainly not outlawed.
Sorry for the confusion Cass...I just saw "comments closed" in the lead page article and I ASS U ME ed.... :-)

Maybe I'm getting paranoid from another threat of being banned at BA for speaking the truth as I perceive it.
Aventinus rules!

Queef

Post by Queef »

I didn't vote cause I'm not sure where I stand on this.
That said, they were touted as The Canadian Brewing Awards, no? Maybe I missed something, but they were not listed as the Candian Microbrewery Awards I don't think?
The GBAFs, or the world cup of beer also don't specify micros only which is why Miller can walk away with a Gold. Does that diminish the value of them or their merits? Maybe, maybe not. The fact that the microbreweries can be held up against the giant corporation breweries and walk away with a gold silver or bronze is testament to the great work they are doing. So in a way it's a good thing for the industry to be able to pit its best against the mainstream crap.
it's beer o'clock.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

pootz wrote:BTW 2: if you're going to vote "yes" in the poll have the courtesy and intellect to offer your reasoning in a post.
No particular comment on the issue at hand, other than to say that if the judging is blind I'm not sure this is an issue, but:

Why an admonition only to "yes" voters to respond with reasons? I would think that in the spirit of good discussion, you'd want everybody to respond with reasoning for their votes?

-Josh

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

pootz wrote:BTW 2: if you're going to vote "yes" in the poll have the courtesy and intellect to offer your reasoning in a post.
i voted yes but did not respond right away, sorry

i dont care if the macro brewers win awards in catagories i dont care about and if macro brewers brew beer i like then ill buy it.

ISO: Molson Virgin American Oak Barrel Aged Weasel Poop Imperial Stout

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

detritus wrote:
No particular comment on the issue at hand, other than to say that if the judging is blind I'm not sure this is an issue, but:

Why an admonition only to "yes" voters to respond with reasons? I would think that in the spirit of good discussion, you'd want everybody to respond with reasoning for their votes?

-Josh
Over sight... nay sayers should respond too. Perhaps I framed the issue and poll too loosely. I'm a little insensed that the macro brewers make cheep adjunct slop they pimp as 'pemium or craft' quality...always intentionally sapping off public perceptions their beer is the same product hat comes from small batch micros. I think that is diengenous and detrimental to the craft beer industry.

Awards that blur the distinction between the two in public perception, are similarly badfor the craft beer industry/culture....how can craft beer culture expand if joe sixpack is curious enough to try a craft lager or pale ale and he perceives (through industry awards blurring) no difference between Molson M and Galt Knife or Rickards and Black Oak PA?

Frankly I don't think GRB or BOB are even in the same industry with the same end user demands as Molsons...why not make the distinction in industry awards?
Last edited by pootz on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

matt7215 wrote:
i voted yes but did not respond right away, sorry

i dont care if the macro brewers win awards in catagories i dont care about and if macro brewers brew beer i like then ill buy it.

ISO: Molson Virgin American Oak Barrel Aged Weasel Poop Imperial Stout
You and I know that a corporation which has set high margin profit levels to turn in to its investors is highly unlikely to brew a beer we can accept as comparable to a good micro....too much time and expense. They need 100% profit per unit and would not settle for the margins small brewers using specialty grains and hop have to. :wink:
Aventinus rules!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

matt7215 wrote:ISO: Molson Virgin American Oak Barrel Aged Weasel Poop Imperial Stout
I would like to have seen how this beer would fare in the stout category:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1950s-LABATTS-CREAM- ... 2ea43f06e2

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

markaberrant wrote:
matt7215 wrote:ISO: Molson Virgin American Oak Barrel Aged Weasel Poop Imperial Stout
I would like to have seen how this beer would fare in the stout category:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1950s-LABATTS-CREAM- ... 2ea43f06e2
Not well IMHO. We used to steal bottles of this from my uncle and it made us sick :lol: According to corporate lore the recent releases copy the original Labatt recipe. I had samples of it when Labatt brewed it from time to time and it's pretty watery and sweet... color and sweetness achieved with brewers caramel....like sleemans but sweeter.
Aventinus rules!

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

I can't help myself in wading in on this topic. It is a reflection of the state of the human condition and of course, all of our human weaknesses.

One cannot help but wonder why a long series of categories are listed as "North American" and seem to be dominated by bland or innocuous beers (short of the bitter category). Why create them? What are we celebrating? Mediocrity? You can just see a BJCP judge sitting there questioning, "Is this corny or bland enough for the style"

The suspicious and paranoid (me) might think that the big breweries have contributed to the cause or have a position in the game and demand something for their contributions or maybe it is simply it is important to show our 'Canadian-ness' and try to acknowledge why we are a fence riding, bland, liberal nation.

It is probably just a marker in our beer evolution. Remember that Taps magazine started as a raunchy, big brewery rag that we affectionately dubbed "sluts" magazine for their incredibly bad taste in women shown matched up to Mollbatt bars. Now it is an interesting mag that reflects an actual growing beer culture.

As long as it doesn't say North American in front of it, I loved the results! I have tried 2 of the Kellerbier winners and think both are spectacular. The choice of Central City is more than well deserved and it is nice to see some smaller breweries/pubs joining in. The evolution continues.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Rob Creighton wrote:The suspicious and paranoid (me) might think that the big breweries have contributed to the cause or have a position in the game and demand something for their contributions or maybe it is simply it is important to show our 'Canadian-ness' and try to acknowledge why we are a fence riding, bland, liberal nation.
I mentioned this same topic on a different website. As long as these awards are run by a company that relies on advertising revenue from the entrants, there will always be this suspicion. I'm not accusing TAPS of any wrong doing, but clearly there is the inherent potential for it.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

markaberrant wrote:
Rob Creighton wrote:The suspicious and paranoid (me) might think that the big breweries have contributed to the cause or have a position in the game and demand something for their contributions or maybe it is simply it is important to show our 'Canadian-ness' and try to acknowledge why we are a fence riding, bland, liberal nation.
I mentioned this same topic on a different website. As long as these awards are run by a company that relies on advertising revenue from the entrants, there will always be this suspicion. I'm not accusing TAPS of any wrong doing, but clearly there is the inherent potential for it.
I think the problem is actually with the number of BJCP categories, which is bordering on the ridiculous. Or frankly with most large awards these days -- look at the GABF categories. I mean come on -- North American wheat ale split into two categories? I'm holding out for a "Smoked Brown Ale made by a left-handed brewer on a Tuesday" category.
/rant