Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Taps buys Niagara's Best

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

This is bad news. I was really hoping that both Eric and Ian would stay on. Alas, I hope Taps gets creative with their general list beers.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

The owners get craft beer, but let's show our support and comment as they do read this forum

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I have given plenty of support to the reopening of Niagara's Best as The Syndicate and have had nothing but great things to say regarding Taps' seasonal beers. However, as long they are limited to one offs and nothing more exciting than their Red Cream Ale, Charleston Lager, and Premium Lager are available I am going to voice my complaint that they should be more adventurous. For example, I have gone there several times to be informed nothing beyond their regular beers were available...so I order water.

I praise when praise is deserved, but scold when they accept mediocrity.

If they "get" craft beer like you say, then perhaps they should drop a generic bland tasting lager and brew something worth drinking.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

dutchcanuck wrote:I have given plenty of support to the reopening of Niagara's Best as The Syndicate and have had nothing but great things to say regarding Taps' seasonal beers. However, as long they are limited to one offs and nothing more exciting than their Red Cream Ale, Charleston Lager, and Premium Lager are available I am going to voice my complaint that they should be more adventurous. For example, I have gone there several times to be informed nothing beyond their regular beers were available...so I order water.

If they "get" craft beer like you say, then perhaps they should drop a generic bland tasting lager and brew something worth drinking.
I will agree with everything you have said there dutch. I cant tell you how many times i have gone to taps after a month of not going, just hoping to get the rye knot. Yet it is never on tap, but they keep it on there chalk board and menu at all times. They are even cutting back what niagaras best did have that was adventurous. Why cant they keep the stout? it was a fall back when I went there and non of the seasonals were appealing. Instead they keep it to the lager, blonde, dark ale, and maybe the pale ale if i am not mistaken. Seems like they're are turning it into taps 2.0. I will continue to support them based on what I have had from ian in past, and really do hope they put out some more quality products.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Does anyone know what is currently on tap and if they'll be open much this weekend (or immediately after)? I'll be in St Catharines from Friday-Tuesday and could make the trip. I'll probably end up calling before going, but wanted to know what I should look forward to.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I am not sure of the hours over the holidays, but I can give a little insight to what will be offered. In another thread they mentioned a RIS going on tap starting monday. They should also have a dubble on tap which is really nice.

hopheadbrewer

Post by hopheadbrewer »

dutchcanuck wrote:I have given plenty of support to the reopening of Niagara's Best as The Syndicate and have had nothing but great things to say regarding Taps' seasonal beers. However, as long they are limited to one offs and nothing more exciting than their Red Cream Ale, Charleston Lager, and Premium Lager are available I am going to voice my complaint that they should be more adventurous. For example, I have gone there several times to be informed nothing beyond their regular beers were available...so I order water.

Hi Dutch

Right now we have lots of exciting beers on tap at Taps: Rye Knot (I think it's an Rye Pale Ale), Abbey Dubbel and Baltic Shipwreck Russian Imperial Stout. Chuck Noris IPA will be back next week. Plus there are are a few of the NBB beers on too.

Cheers,

Ian
People who put political comments in their signatures, especially when such comments are false and insulting, are morons...

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I was at Taps last night to get my growler fill of the RIS and I have to say that its pretty damn fantastic. I actually plan on going back to Taps next week to get another growler of the RIS to braise some lamb shanks in. I also asked the waitress if Chuck was on deck and was informed that it would be tapped today. I've had the Rye knot before and its a solid quaff.

In terms of availability I'm the kind of beer drinker when I go out to the pub I want flavorful beers. I'm the guy who thinks Southern Tier IPA is very sessionable, that Black Oak's Ten Bitter Years should be available in the LCBO and beer store so I can buy it weekly. With that in mind, I'm going to pass on the NB Blonde, logger lager, the red cream ale and the Taps lagers. I'm sure they are great for the molson drinking customer, but they are not for me.

It is just my opinion that if you are going to run a brew pub...your main offerings should be a bit more adventurous. Why not have Chuck on tap every day instead of the "premium" lager?

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

My mom told me yesterday that they are heading to Taps today and asked what I wanted. I'll have growlers of RIS and dubbel for when I get there later today. (yes, my parents are awesome)

If the Chuck Norris is back on Monday or Tuesday of next week, I may get a growler of that too. I'm with dutchcanuck that an IPA should be on tap at all times.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

kwjd wrote:I'm with dutchcanuck that an IPA should be on tap at all times.
I'll be there over Christmas and plan to make that point as well. In that I'm saying it, he'll probably not do it but I go to the Syndicate so having nine bland beers on is not going to cut it. The dark is good but I want more. The Chuck will do just fine. 8)

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

They actually had the Chuck Norris today. Had a growler of that with dinner. Tomorrow night having the dubbel. May be back for growler fills if they are open on Sunday.

hopheadbrewer

Post by hopheadbrewer »

Rob Creighton wrote:
kwjd wrote:I'm with dutchcanuck that an IPA should be on tap at all times.
I'll be there over Christmas and plan to make that point as well. In that I'm saying it, he'll probably not do it but I go to the Syndicate so having nine bland beers on is not going to cut it. The dark is good but I want more. The Chuck will do just fine. 8)
I believe Chuck Norris IPA is going to be on permanently, but I will confirm this. I take issue with "9 bland beers", Rob;) We have one of your favourites, the White Ale, as well as our Pilsner, Pale Ale and the Red Ale. And we have from Taps the Abbey Dubbel and Rye Knot Pale Ale.
People who put political comments in their signatures, especially when such comments are false and insulting, are morons...

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

hopheadbrewer wrote: I take issue with "9 bland beers", Rob;) We have one of your favourites, the White Ale, as well as our Pilsner, Pale Ale and the Red Ale. And we have from Taps the Abbey Dubbel and Rye Knot Pale Ale.
Seasons greetings Ian. Yes, I do tend to exaggerate.

I was in for dinner a few weeks before Christmas and I believe the beers I was offered were; the blond ale, Niagara's Best Lager, the light lager, the Charleston, the Vanilla Wheat, the red and the Dark Ale. I wasn't offered the Dubbel or the Rye Knot. The first 5 I wouldn't normally go for because it just isn't my personal style. The red I won't ask for because I object to anything named "Red" that are in line to grab the Rickards Red set (which I consider to be one of the vilest beers on earth). Yes, I know it probably is a big seller and is a great entry beer for the NF tourist but this is about me :D

I definitely would have ordered the Rye Knot if available as the Dubbel would probably not fit my driving plans. On a huge upside, the Dark was excellent and the big thing that impressed me was the service and the food. Both great. A college friend I was with called the place a hidden gem and said she would definitely bring friends in.

I have friends who live close to the Syndicate and I can't always get downtown to Taps so a more regular supply of Chuck uptown will be appreciated. Cheers!

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

Went to taps for supper on saturday and the food and beer was excellent. Chuck was on tap so I had that, nice and hoppy, could drink it all day. My wife doesn't drink beer so she had wine. I think they were all niagara region which was nice.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I was there the other day. Apparently they are gonna start bottling soon. Chuck Norris in bottles will be awesome.