Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Milos Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Weissebier

Milos Beer

Post by Weissebier »

Forgive me if I missed a post with regards to this. But do any of you know where this is being brewed? I find this very interesting indeed.

http://www.milosbeer.com/

W.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Hey good catch, I don't recall hearing about this.

It sounds very interesting, I might try some later today.

Gary
Gary Gillman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Looks like our friend here in London is finally getting the recognition he deserves!! :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Weissebier wrote:Forgive me if I missed a post with regards to this. But do any of you know where this is being brewed? I find this very interesting indeed.

http://www.milosbeer.com/

W.
This article somewhat hints its brewed at Great Lakes

Although I'm suspicious about his true identity...
ImageImage
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I went to a media tasting for Milos Beer at the Duke of Westminster the other night, and I can confirm that being brewed at Great Lakes.

Or rather, it's being partly brewed there, as the beer is made using a unique process where it's started in Prague, converted to some sort of dry concentrate, and then shipped out to different breweries around the world to be re-hydrated and fermented.

It's still in the pilot phase, with tests being run at breweries in New Jersey, Russia, China and Brazil in addition to Great Lakes. The current GL test batch will be available at all of the Duke pubs for the next few weeks, before an official launch sometime in 2011.

The beer itself is quite decent. I'd say it sits somewhere between Pilsner Urquell and Creemore Springs - not quite hoppy enough to be a spot-on Pilsner, but with a good flavour balance, and showing no evidence of being brewed using the strange concentrate process. Worth a taste.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I've tried this now at Duke of Somerset (nice pub). It's good, fresh-tasting, and I'd agree with your description Greg. There is no way I could tell it is made from a concentrate of some kind (malt extract maybe?). In my view, it's not in the same class as Urquel or Czechvar, but is enjoyable and will appeal to those who find the latter too hoppy.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Milos

Post by Milos »

I can confirm it has nothing to do with me.
But I would really appreciate some Royalties, PLEASE!!!
So many beers and so little time!!

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

"started in Prague"? Where in Prague? I'm curious about this. I've been to Prague twice (so far) , some excellent beer made there.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

G.M. Gillman wrote:I've tried this now at Duke of Somerset (nice pub). It's good, fresh-tasting, and I'd agree with your description Greg. There is no way I could tell it is made from a concentrate of some kind (malt extract maybe?). In my view, it's not in the same class as Urquel or Czechvar, but is enjoyable and will appeal to those who find the latter too hoppy.

Gary
People find Czechvar hoppy? I typically buy the Urquell because the Czechvar lacks the hop aroma/flavour of the Urquell.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Well, it's all relative.

Gary
Gary Gillman

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

mintjellie wrote:
G.M. Gillman wrote:I've tried this now at Duke of Somerset (nice pub). It's good, fresh-tasting, and I'd agree with your description Greg. There is no way I could tell it is made from a concentrate of some kind (malt extract maybe?). In my view, it's not in the same class as Urquel or Czechvar, but is enjoyable and will appeal to those who find the latter too hoppy.

Gary
People find Czechvar hoppy? I typically buy the Urquell because the Czechvar lacks the hop aroma/flavour of the Urquell.
the Czechvar cans are maltier then the bottles were, but the bottles were often skunked. Urquell is the way to go.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Well, my view is that the Czechvar flavour is unique - it is quite different from Urquell, with a winy-like taste. I find the flavour pronounced albeit the IBUs apparently are not that high.

I agree the cans are superior to the bottled, as is the draft (same with Urquell though).

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

My last experience of Urquell on draught was unexpectedly miserable. It was like Okanagan Pale on a very bad day.

Hey, Urquell's one beer I KNOW used to be good in the '80's and mid '90's!! Even if the botle was not totally fresh it still had this really great complexity going on, floral and herbal, a bit wine-like.

Czech Pilsner Beer's lost its magic.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I know that some people feel Urquell is not as good as it was. I think it may have lost some colour in recent years, but its flavour seems essentially the same to me as from the early 1970's, when I first started drinking it. I had it on draft in Western Europe as well from the 1980's on, and it always tasted again like it does now. It is possible the move to stainless fermenters and lagering vessels affected some of the taste, but those vessels were lined with brewers' pitch. Maybe the pitch imparted a flavour that is now missed, but all in all it is the same beer to me. The can is still the best and richest taste when very fresh, although I've had some good draft too.

Here is an excellent 1997 article on the technics of producing Urquell. It was written after the move to stainless was adopted, but not too long after, so is a good snapshot of the old and newer ways of making the beer.

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/ba ... quell.html

Gary
Gary Gillman

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Belgian wrote:Czech Pilsner Beer's lost its magic.
A friend of mine lived in Ireland for a few years, where she married an Irishman, and the two just recently moved back here. The first thing she noticed was how different (read: inferior) their go-to brands (Urquell, Czechvar) tasted here. When her in-laws came over to visit them recently she asked that they bring some of Czechvar from Ireland to do a side-by-side comparison to see if it was just their imaginations but, sure enough, she assured me the difference was like night and day.