Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Irish Plain Porter at LCBO store # 200, London

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:so basically, if the customer buys a single bottle of something and it's infected, they are supposed to drive back to the store with a single open container of beers.

isn't that kind of ridiculous?

No. I shouldn't even dignify this with a response, but I will. By the way, did you even read what the hell I wrote? You know what.........
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
mintjellie wrote:so basically, if the customer buys a single bottle of something and it's infected, they are supposed to drive back to the store with a single open container of beer.

No. I shouldn't even dignify this with a response, but I will. By the way, did you even read what the hell I wrote? You know what.........
Even if they save it for the next time they're driving to the LCBO, they're still having to save that one bottle until the next time they go to the LCBO.

I think its unreasonable to keep an open bottle of beer for two weeks, just for the sake of returning it. It really doesn't help that most of the time I do a beer run, I take transit and carry beer home in my backpack. Sometimes I stop at the LCBO on my way home from classes at the college. When the weather is nice, I'll even ride my bike.

Even if I drove, I wouldn't bother. As I've said already, I can't be bothered to hold on to a bottle of open beer for two weeks. After that length of time, I'd probably forget to bring it with me.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
mintjellie wrote:so basically, if the customer buys a single bottle of something and it's infected, they are supposed to drive back to the store with a single open container of beer.

Even if they save it for the next time they're driving to the LCBO, they're still having to save that one bottle until the next time they go to the LCBO.

I think its unreasonable to keep an open bottle of beer for two weeks, just for the sake of returning it. It really doesn't help that most of the time I do a beer run, I take transit and carry beer home in my backpack. Sometimes I stop at the LCBO on my way home from classes at the college. When the weather is nice, I'll even ride my bike.

Even if I drove, I wouldn't bother. As I've said already, I can't be bothered to hold on to a bottle of open beer for two weeks. After that length of time, I'd probably forget to bring it with me.

I take transit too. Everyday to and from work and everywhere else I go. I don't drive. I've got no problem putting a of bottle of beer in a closet, or in a cupboard with fo8il over the lid, and returning it when I go back to an LCBO. And I think it is important.

I'm not suggesting that the moment you notice a bad bottle, you rush on back to the LCBO. But keeping it until next time takes so very little effort, I'd have to wonder if anyone wasn't willing to do it. And I do.

Just my opinion. I refuse to pay for a bottle I'm pouring down the drain, and I'm more than happy to return them.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Wait, you actually still need half the beer in bottle to return a product? So I pour a beer into a glass, then find it infected, am I supposed to pour it back in, try to re-seal, then store it somewhere until I return it? Ya, I'm never going to do that... though it sound like a good way to try the Utopias risk free!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

kwjd wrote:Wait, you actually still need half the beer in bottle to return a product? So I pour a beer into a glass, then find it infected, am I supposed to pour it back in, try to re-seal, then store it somewhere until I return it? Ya, I'm never going to do that... though it sound like a good way to try the Utopias risk free!
you dont need any product in the bottle, just an empty + the reciept

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote: Even if they save it for the next time they're driving to the LCBO, they're still having to save that one bottle until the next time they go to the LCBO.
You don't have to do it. Not everyone has a car, and not every person is even near an LCBO. Maybe not everyone should 'campaign' for improvement if it's too much of a pain in the rear for them - much like the bottle returns that end up in the blue box. There IS a breaking point where it makes less sense to do everything 'the right way.'

I think Len what is suggesting is that if you want to be part of the solution, you have a certain power to effect that by personal choice. It's exactly like voting in a democracy. You don't have to even show up and vote. I share the sentiment that we should not have spoiled LCBO product in the first place - that is just ridiculous. But all 'fairness' aside - it is a fact. Still. If enough of us do something, the situation may change. Please do your part if you possibly can, any of you, with respect to your situation.

(Great suggestion BTW Matt, way easier to return a clean dry empty bottle.)
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

kwjd wrote:Wait, you actually still need half the beer in bottle to return a product? So I pour a beer into a glass, then find it infected, am I supposed to pour it back in, try to re-seal, then store it somewhere until I return it? Ya, I'm never going to do that... though it sound like a good way to try the Utopias risk free!

That's not what I said. I said I put foil over it, I don't repour the bad stuff back into the bottle. You guys are mixing my words and trying to make me look like a complete fool.

And Matt is correct, you don't need the liquid in the bottle.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

SteelbackGuy wrote:

That's not what I said. I said I put foil over it, I don't repour the bad stuff back into the bottle. You guys are mixing my words and trying to make me look like a complete fool.

I really wasn't trying to mix your words. I thought you were saying you needed to actually have some beer in the bottle to return it. If you are allowed to return an empty bottle, why would you bother with the foil? Even if I didn't pour it all into a glass, I'd still empty and rinse it out first if I was allowed to.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

New sh-t has come to light!
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

kwjd wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

I really wasn't trying to mix your words. I thought you were saying you needed to actually have some beer in the bottle to return it. If you are allowed to return an empty bottle, why would you bother with the foil? Even if I didn't pour it all into a glass, I'd still empty and rinse it out first if I was allowed to.

I bother with the foil to further my case that I tried the beer, didn't like it, and stopped the consumption. I should do that since I work there. But you don't have to. Provided you aren't in every day with a 'bad" bottle.