Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What's In Your Fridge?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote: The regular 'food fridge' has some overflow too.
You mean I need food other than beer in my fridge? That explains the puzzled looks.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Ukie wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
Ukie wrote:All these great pics, I dont feel so bad anymore.

This brings up a question I have always wanted to ask:

"How do you manage to stay fresh"?

I mean sooner or later if you keep adding you must run into some problems regarding drinkability.
I'll always buy 2 or 3 of the same beer; drink one fresh (or as fresh as it is) and depending on the style and alc % lay the others down for a few months and drink them then. Or if the beer is brewed to cellar for a few years or more, Fullers Vintage, Thomas Hardy's etc etc, they just lay there until I feel like drinking, or until I have a nice flight of years.

But dont you find you get a backlog sometimes, not a bad thing but....

If you bought 2 or 3 of each of the 14 new Winter Welcome there is 28-52 beer plus a micro brewery feature like DDC another 16-24 bottles plus any US trip could add 24-48 bottles more plus Christmas gift sets.

I just see sometimes the beer coming in is greater than the empties going back, not a bad thing but...

then you think "Can I possibly even make a dent in this before the next release?"
I'm just selective in what I buy, and what gets 'kept'. Plus I have an understanding wife so I can take over the food fridge with overflow.

I never used to buy much of the seasonal releases from the LCBO, and what I would get I'd either had before or they weren't for Keeping/cellaring.

Since moving to Alberta and the excellent supply of beer here I've found that I don't actually keep that much in the fridge, and I certainly don't have to hoard like an Ontarian :wink: Plus I have no beer friends here, so that's another reason I don't need to keep much.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Torontoblue wrote:
Ukie wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: I'll always buy 2 or 3 of the same beer; drink one fresh (or as fresh as it is) and depending on the style and alc % lay the others down for a few months and drink them then. Or if the beer is brewed to cellar for a few years or more, Fullers Vintage, Thomas Hardy's etc etc, they just lay there until I feel like drinking, or until I have a nice flight of years.

But dont you find you get a backlog sometimes, not a bad thing but....

If you bought 2 or 3 of each of the 14 new Winter Welcome there is 28-52 beer plus a micro brewery feature like DDC another 16-24 bottles plus any US trip could add 24-48 bottles more plus Christmas gift sets.

I just see sometimes the beer coming in is greater than the empties going back, not a bad thing but...

then you think "Can I possibly even make a dent in this before the next release?"
I'm just selective in what I buy, and what gets 'kept'. Plus I have an understanding wife so I can take over the food fridge with overflow.

I never used to buy much of the seasonal releases from the LCBO, and what I would get I'd either had before or they weren't for Keeping/cellaring.

Since moving to Alberta and the excellent supply of beer here I've found that I don't actually keep that much in the fridge, and I certainly don't have to hoard like an Ontarian :wink: Plus I have no beer friends here, so that's another reason I don't need to keep much.
I can totally relate to backlog. I'm at critical capacity right now. I'm of the old Ontario mindset that I buy every new bear that comes out, but that definitely results in some overload in Alberta. I figure I've got about 30 beers sitting in my fridge or in boxes that came out in the last 6 months that I bought and haven't tried yet. That's on top of old favorites, trip purchases, the multiples of the really good stuff and all of the beer I did indeed hoard in Ontario and then move to Alberta. My fridge is full, by closet is full and bottles spill out onto shelves and countertops where they really shouldn't be kept. Still not complaining though, it's one hell of a good problem to have.

Yello to Mello

Post by Yello to Mello »

Torontoblue wrote:Since moving to Alberta and the excellent supply of beer here I've found that I don't actually keep that much in the fridge, and I certainly don't have to hoard like an Ontarian :wink:
Dammit now I need to rant. :lol:

Yes I hate hoarding in Ontario. Its not just beer either, its wine and spirits for me too! Not just with crappy availability windows either its about price. You need to take advantage of every price opportunity you can get while traveling from other provinces, states, duty free etc. its always about picking bottles up wherever you go. :x You also need to take advantage of the very rare good sales at the LC and even hoard the 'reasonably priced' things because sometimes the price will just increase overnight by like 20%.

:D
The Maple Leaf Lounge (Canadian whisky forum): http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com/forum ... .php?f=204

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Here's some updated shots of the cellar... have added a few gems... and drank some others. Anyone else have anything new?

"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Looking good - building the cellar sometime after the wedding.