Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

I want to open a Quebec-Themed Pub in Toronto.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pmajor

I want to open a Quebec-Themed Pub in Toronto.

Post by pmajor »

Hello there! I am a transplanted Torontonian living in Montreal. I'm two blocks from Dieu du Ciel, and a short walk to Vices&Versa. The quality of Quebec beers has inspired me to open a Quebec-Themed Pub in Toronto.

I'm only just beginning to research this idea, which is why I hope that someone on here can provide me with a starting point for the logistics involved. I want to have taps from Quebec only, with simple regional cuisine to go with.

On the Ontario side of things - do I have to go through the LCBO to arrange for the importation? If so, are they responsible for approving the products I bring in, or do I actually have to purchase through the LCBO? Or do I purchase through importers such as HMH?

On the Quebec side, who would I approach to discuss importing beers into Ontario? Do I approach independent brewers, or is there a collective voice that I can speak with? Is the SAQ involved in the export of beers to other provinces?

Many thanks,

Paul

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Serve tourtière. :D

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Good luck with this logistical nightmare.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I don't think this will be easy at all. Given the fact that Quebec beers on tap at Toronto-area craft beer bars (such as Volo, Beerbistro, etc.) are few and far between, I am guessing that logistical nightmare of doing so makes it not worthwhile...

I would suggest touching base with the folks at Volo in Toronto. They are great people and I am sure that they would have all of the info that you would need and would be happy to help you out.

Here's to hoping that this works out for you though.

pmajor

Post by pmajor »

I`ll be in Toronto in a couple of weeks - I`ll definitely stop by Volo for a chat. Who should I ask to talk with?

I hope there is a way to make this happen.

Paul

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Volo/HMH is the official importers for a number of Quebec beers such as DDC, Charlevoix, Hopfenstark and Trois Mousquetaires.

Talk to Ralph or Tomas but, as mentioned, I imagine you are chasing something that better connected, more informed people have thought of and discarded due to the logistics.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Why the hell are you people discouraging this ???
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Start with Unibroue (Sleeman/Sapporo) and McAuslan who would likely be very enthusiastic about getting all the current beers available. I can't think of a place that has everything both of them offer at the same time which would be unique as it is.

Then you can get more specialized through DDC and others - DDC is pretty regularly stocked now at LCBO. As mentioned HMH does have a number of Quebec brewery clients and you should definitely reach out to them and see what can be done on that front.

There's a "Taste of Quebec" store in the Distillery District that focuses on cheese. Drop by and ask them about stuff, they might be able to hook you up wth some contacts.

That's probably some good starting points!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Cass' idea of Unibroue and Mcauslan is a good one and much more feasible, put those together with a solid Quebecois food lineup and you might have a winner. As for the rest of Quebec's fine micros, things have changed rapidly here in the past year or two and who knows what's possible in the next year or two.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

The province of Quebec seems to heavily promote its own products. This desire to promote QC products makes me wonder if there isn't some provincial funding lying around somewhere for someone interested in, say, opeing a QC themed gastropub. This site might be a start:

http://www.alimentsduquebec.com/?action=presentation

There are a few breweries on the list of producers, BTW.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

I'm glad to hear you're getting some good pointers. My wife and I would definitely make the trip in to Toronto for some Quebec beer and food. Keep us up to date on how things progress.