Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2011 Predictions

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

-greater distobution of Grand River product

-more OCB seasonals in the LCBO

-jessem finally hits 800 ratings on ratebeer

-an ontario brewer starts barrel aging sours

-belgian passes me in ratings on ratebeer

-the London beer scene continues to develope and becomes the legitimate second best beer city in Ontario

-Len Manning takes a management position at a LCBO in a town you've never heard of

-TBW 2011 kicks ass!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote: My Predictions for 2011:
- A new brewpub will open in London, at the former site of Great West Beef House
- Chancey Smith's will see their first of two cask engines very soon
I'll second both of those predictions, and add the following:

- A London beer bar will undergo renovations, a menu overhaul, and name change in an effort to solidify its status as one of the top beer bars in the province
- The Morrissey House will continue to refine its beer menu – as evidenced by the recent addition of a third OCB tap - and bring in draughts and bottles that aren’t available elsewhere in the city.
- The King Edward will convert one of its macro taps to a rotating micro line, bringing the total number of craft draughts up to five (plus the cask).
matt7215 wrote: The London beer scene continues to develop and becomes the legitimate second best beer city in Ontario
If all of the predictions above come to fruition, then you might be right!
Guybrush wrote: I go to a bar that claims to sell "OCB" on tap, and find that they only have Steam Whistle, and Barking Squirrel?
By the sounds of it you’re referring to The Church Key. I’ve never seen them claim to sell OCB beers on tap, only “craft beer” in general. And they do, but it’s all about the bottles there. I went a few weeks ago and they had Meantime, Southern Tier, Duvel, Mill Street, Chimay, Maudite, Cameron’s, and very limited quantities of Peche Mortel. So if you’re looking for craft taps, it’s the wrong place to go, but if you want some excellent bottles to pair with your meal, it’s a great spot for dinner and drinks.
northyorksammy wrote: Several newbies will begin posting, with the most common subject/question on "cross border shopping"
Not all of us who are "new" to grabbing U.S. hauls are craft beer newbies as well. I've been at it for six years now but haven't bothered with cross border beer shopping until the last year or so. Having met you before, Sammy, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not referring to my Port Huron post. :wink:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Guybrush wrote: - BarVolo realizes there is a greater demand for beer in London, ON, than Toronto; pack up their bags and open up shop in a brand new facility in London's bustling north-west region.
Amusing thought. The part about London having more demand may be true.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Guybrush wrote: - BarVolo realizes there is a greater demand for beer in London, ON, than Toronto; pack up their bags and open up shop in a brand new facility in London's bustling north-west region.
Amusing thought. The part about London having more demand may be true.
I figure I got a 50/50 shot at it... either it does happen, or it doesn't!
cratez wrote: By the sounds of it you’re referring to The Church Key.
I was not referring to the Church Key, never been. It was another bar in a barren wasteland called, "Windsor" that proudly displayed the OCB logo, I thought for a brief-brief second I found a hidden gem in a cesspool of filth, I was wrong.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

matt7215 wrote: -jessem finally hits 800 ratings on ratebeer
This is iffy, but thanks for the encouragment. 4 more seems like a lot more than it should.
-the London beer scene continues to develope and becomes the legitimate second best beer city in Ontario
Interesting how London has featured prominently in this thread. Reminds me that Railway City exists, and is hopefully growing as a business.
-Len Manning takes a management position at a LCBO in a town you've never heard of
Beautiful Butt F*** No Where.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JesseM wrote: Interesting how London has featured prominently in this thread. Reminds me that Railway City exists, and is hopefully growing as a business.
LOL. RCB is probably the least interesting thing going on around here, even though I respect what they do with their seasonals and still enjoy bottles of the DEA from time to time. I think half of what's been said is just facetious smack talk (London having more demand than T.O.), wishful thinking (Volo coming here), and shameless self-promotion due to holiday boredom. :lol:

On a serious note, I believe awareness-raising events like the Toronto and Ontario Craft Beer Weeks, vastly improved seasonal releases at the LCBO, the upcoming R&R/Nørrebro Bryghus "Prøjekt N" release with the Ontario honey beer, further experimentation among breweries like Flying Monkeys and Great Lakes (and hopefully others), and brewery features and dinners at more Ontario restaurants will be the key things to look out for, since they'll offer interesting/new brews and will likely turn thousands of new people onto craft beer. Sounds cliche but these types of things need to keep happening in order to push our beer scene forward. Lord knows we have a long way to go!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

On a serious note, we have a few things to look forward to in 2011:

- Smash Bomb hitting the LCBO
- Great Lakes Miami Weisse becoming part of their regular lineup in the spring
- More LCBO brewery feature releases.

I hope I am not sitting here a year from now complaining that Smash Bomb remains the only above average bottled and distributed Ontario IPA/DIPA. Will we even see 10BY again?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: Will we even see 10BY again?
I bet 11 Bitter Years will cheer us all up. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

matt7215 wrote:an ontario brewer starts barrel aging sours
ISO BA Trafalgar

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A solid prediction: BarTowel will figure out a way to switch off Daylight Savings Time!

(Posted at 11:54 AM in case anyone's wondering the actual time...)
In Beerum Veritas

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I predict that if you head down to Black Oak you will see some 10BY in the cooler.

Although it has been widely acclaimed, it seems unlikely Black Oak would brew another batch of this if they don't sell out the last one.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

toweringpine wrote:
I predict that if you head down to Black Oak you will see some 10BY in the cooler.

Although it has been widely acclaimed, it seems unlikely Black Oak would brew another batch of this if they don't sell out the last one.
Sadly, you are probably right. Again, the distribution problem that always kills Ontario craft brewers, rears its ugly head. No mater how good the beer, if your only option to sell a one-off like this is brewery only (and kegs at a few local bars), you are going to have trouble moving the product. Period.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

toweringpine wrote:

it seems to be a beer that everyone likes but nobody buys. it'll be interesting to see if other ontario ipa's will sell when distobution exists beyond etobicoke.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

matt7215 wrote:
toweringpine wrote:

it seems to be a beer that everyone likes but nobody buys. it'll be interesting to see if other ontario ipa's will sell when distobution exists beyond etobicoke.
It's a great beer, but so difficult to get. There's been times when I'm in Toronto and swing by, only to find a notice on the door saying they are out for delivery's. I know the draft accounts are far more important than a casual 905'er, but instead of buying a couple cases of this I've only gotten one.

This is why something like the OCB store concept is so vital, where the brewery's could launch beers collaboratively without being forced into more LCBO locations than they can supply, and ensure a fresh product reaches the customer.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

heebes

Post by heebes »

i really hope the rumors of DFH Indian Brown or a seasonal 90 min AND Southern Tier 2xIPA happen

if Smashbomb bottles at the lc actually happens i'll finally have a go to ipa available locally.