Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spearhead Brewing

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Spearhead Brewing

Post by GregClow »

Apparently we're getting a new brewery in Toronto - at least it seems that way, based on this Twitter account that just started following my accounts a few minutes ago: http://twitter.com/SpearheadBeer

Not much on their website yet: http://www.spearheadbeer.com/

A bit of Googling uncovered the item bwlow on the website of Seventh Horizon, which seems to be an business investment/capital/consulting company - perhaps the money behind the brewery?
Seventh Horizon Announces Appointment of Brewmaster for Spearhead Brewing Company
Mar 19, 2009

Seventh Horizon and Spearhead Brewing Company are pleased to announce that Tomas (Tom) Schmidt has joined Spearhead's pending operations as Brewmaster and Technical Advisor. Originally from the Czech Republic, Tom is an award winning brewmaster with over 30 years of brewing experience with one of Canada’s largest brewing companies. Said Seventh Horizon Managing Director and Spearhead Co-Founder Michael Vanderkaden, “The Spearhead team is extremely excited to have someone of Tom’s calibre join our ranks. We are overwhelmed by the support and excitement this endeavour is generating in the community and being able to draw on Tom’s decades of brewing experience will be essential as we shift our focus from planning to execution.”

The Spearhead Brewing Company’s mandate to brew exciting new styles of craft beers is reflected in its motto, “Beer without BoundariesTM.” The brewery is expected to commence operations in 2011. For updates and more information, please visit www.spearheadbeer.com
I'll do some digging and see what else I can find out...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Interesting that it's taking over a year and a half to get the doors open. I wonder if that's due to raising funds or will it be a pretty big endeavour that needs bigger logistics.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

Tapsucker wrote:Interesting that it's taking over a year and a half to get the doors open. I wonder if that's due to raising funds or will it be a pretty big endeavour that needs bigger logistics.
Strange, on the main news page of Seventh Horizon, it says the announcement was in March 2010. But then when you click through, it says 2009.

http://seventhhorizon.com/News.html

You can read more info on the founder here: http://seventhhorizon.com/Leadership.html

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yeah, one of the guys came on Troy & my OCB pub crawl last year. I have a bottle opener with their branding on it. Not sure what the status of the brewery is right now though.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I dropped them a line and got a bit more info:
We are not yet ready to release much detail at all about Spearhead or our intentions. We are wrapping up some financing right now, and will soon have a clearer and more accurate idea of our strategy and timeline for the near future.

Stephen Rich
Assistant Brewmaster and Beer Sommelier
Spearhead Brewing Company
(I'm guessing this is the same Stephen Rich who is behind Definition Ale.)

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

GregClow wrote:(I'm guessing this is the same Stephen Rich who is behind Definition Ale.)
He certainly seems enthusiastic.

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

GregClow wrote:I dropped them a line and got a bit more info:
We are not yet ready to release much detail at all about Spearhead or our intentions. We are wrapping up some financing right now, and will soon have a clearer and more accurate idea of our strategy and timeline for the near future.

Stephen Rich
Assistant Brewmaster and Beer Sommelier
Spearhead Brewing Company
(I'm guessing this is the same Stephen Rich who is behind Definition Ale.)
Most certainly would be the same guy, since earlier today he was 1 of 3 people who "liked" the spearhead facebook page.

The facebook page also offers up a lot on their philosophy:

This is the second Toronto brewery that i've heard is in the planning phase (Parkdale brewery being the other). Does anyone know of others?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

mistermurphy wrote:The facebook page also offers up a lot on their philosophy:
I think they forgot to mention that they really, really, really, really, really, really, really like real beer, and that Spearhead is going to make really, really, really, really, really, really, really good real beer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I look forward to seeing Stephen at Chancey's and picking his brain about this.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It's a bit odd to have that Facebook writeup but then at the same time not wanting to disclose any details. Say or don't say.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I've met a couple of these guys, and they're nice folks. They entered quite a few beers in the TBW homebrew contest, and I was impressed. They actually won the specialty category, and they're interested in making the sort of stuff that the average bartowel reader would love. I'm not sure if the financing is there yet, but when it is I think they'll do well.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I wonder if this is the brewery that is apparently setting up shop in the Junction area?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I wonder if this is the brewery that is apparently setting up shop in the Junction area?
Definite no - that's a brewpub op; this will be straight brewery.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Bobsy wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I wonder if this is the brewery that is apparently setting up shop in the Junction area?
Definite no - that's a brewpub op; this will be straight brewery.
Gives us even more to look forward to!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Bobsy wrote:I've met a couple of these guys, and they're nice folks. They entered quite a few beers in the TBW homebrew contest, and I was impressed. They actually won the specialty category, and they're interested in making the sort of stuff that the average bartowel reader would love. I'm not sure if the financing is there yet, but when it is I think they'll do well.
This is good to hear.