Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The REturn of Frank D'Angelo

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rosko

The REturn of Frank D'Angelo

Post by Rosko »

This guy just fascinates the hell out of me.

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

It kills me to say this but the program might be worth a look...maybe Frank has found his "niche"...provided we don't have to endure him "singing" too often.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Hilarious. I went to middle school/high school with the girl at about 1 min 26 sec. It's good to know she took that whole "vapid slut" thing and ran with it!

This saddens me even more about losing my free CHCH after moving closer downtown. Steve Paikin just doesn't bring the ho's like Frank... or the rape-uh I mean rapini.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The guy lacks charisma and thanks to this the show has all the hipness & style of a Holiday Inn lounge singer act.

But it's great that a delusional sociopath can find work! And some good guests... Héléne Joy... still hot!
In Beerum Veritas

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Don't really disagree Belgian but that Holiday Inn lounge act quality may make it entertaining...our regular night talk shows have become so blase IMHO and Saturday Night Live last week was full of absolute humorless "jokes" and skits...I'm just saying it may be a bit of fresh air if only to watch the possible self-destruction :lol:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It's true, mongering one!! Variety & Talk shows have gotten painfully slick and careful over the years...

Maybe we need some more real crap AND some real new brilliance thrown into the equation to spark some fire under the ass of TV again. (Forgive the mixed metaphor.)
In Beerum Veritas

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I found it painful to watch that as I don't think the "lounge act" thing is a shtick, I just think he's that bad. The middle-part "comb-over" shows it to be true, I think.

I'm hoping that this means he won't be making any more commercials. I've read news reports saying he ran Steelback into the ground by using it as his personal ego vehicle, I'm guessing if it's true that's all this show is.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

I thought Neil Hamburger had this market cornered.

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

It looks like a return to the classic Canadian TV of my youth.

Take the wit of Ralph Benmurgi combine it with the star power of Elwood Glover, add the celebrity guests and production values of "Party Game" and voila!

What other ego-driven ventures can this guy fail at?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I predict self-help seminars, homeopathic medecine, a Toronto stage talent agency, a series of good BBQ sauce, franchise Fry joints, another shot at a brewery, an online social network of some sort, a sitcom, an animal shelter and a smoked meat parlour.

Imagine what a guy like that, with that drive, could accomplish if associated with an industry leader.

Gotta respect the motivation, entrepreneurial spirit and tenacity.

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

it's just like slowing down to look at an accident...you feel sorry for those involved, but you are also curious to see how bad it is.

Anyone want to meet him? :o

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I want the all expenses paid trip to Toronto! I hear it's lovely this time of year.

Also nice that you have to buy one of Frank's CDs to enter. I can't decide which one to get.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Gave Frank's show a whirl last night. I made it through about 20 minutes before I lost interest, though I might watch it again for a "so bad it's good" chuckle.

Clearly, this is not just a vehicle for Frank, it's also a promotional tool for his products. His sidekicks - one of whom is Jim Tatti (!) - are sat at a desk where Cheetah and Arizona drink cans are clearly visible in every shot. The kicker - all of the commercial spots are for D'Angelo products like Cheetah, his cooking oil and the legendary rapini. There was an ad for a motorcycle place, but they too are somehow aligned with Frank as they have decorated a bike with Cheetah branding for Frank to raffle of via the show. I'm going to guess that the airtime for the entire program has been purchased by D'Angelo.

The monologue and skits aren't as painful as I'd hoped, just flat, cliched and poorly written material (one skit featured Frank as a narcissistic male model). The monologue mainly consists of Frank hurling insults at Tatti and his other sidekick. Don Rickles this guy ain't.

The guests were pretty b-list. Someone who used to be on Road to Avonlea, an ex-Olympic figure skater (didn't recognize the name) and a third guest who I can't recall.

I have a suggestion for a promotional tagline: "Being Frank, the best Canadian late-night comedy hour since The Mike Bullard Show".

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Had no idea D'Angelo Brands has been contracted to make Arizona Iced Tea. I refuse to put a dime in Frank's pocket so I won't be buying this anymore.

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

simply amazing.