Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

value beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

gordmit

value beer

Post by gordmit »

Upper Canada Lager?!?!? When I go into the Beer Store I simply can't justify paying more...although it may not be the original product that came out of the brewery on Atlantic Ave many years ago when craft beers in Ontario were a wiggle in daddies pants, I have yet to find a better value beer. Trust me, I'm not a novice beer drinker and buy most of my pints at the LCBO or best at my pub...just let me know if you think there is a better value beer available in Ontario. Don't waste our time telling me that Tankhouse is available at the beer store...my fridge is full at any time with awesome beer...but Upper Canada...it ain't Carling, it ain't Red Bull...it ain't home brew, its not bad for the price is all...up yours, I'm grabbing another...I could grab a Devils Pale, or a Netherworld, or Bruichladdie...the Leafs lost again and I'm glad I didn't waste too much good beer tonight. Time and place my friends. Does anyone think Upper Canada Lager is a complete waste of time? Whatever, I like it anyway...give me something else at the same price and I'll lick it up.
Cheers!
Gord

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

post of the year!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

gordmit wrote:Upper Canada Lager?!?!? When I go into the Beer Store I simply can't justify paying more...although it may not be the original product that came out of the brewery on Atlantic Ave many years ago when craft beers in Ontario were a wiggle in daddies pants, I have yet to find a better value beer. Trust me, I'm not a novice beer drinker and buy most of my pints at the LCBO or best at my pub...just let me know if you think there is a better value beer available in Ontario. Don't waste our time telling me that Tankhouse is available at the beer store...my fridge is full at any time with awesome beer...but Upper Canada...it ain't Carling, it ain't Red Bull...it ain't home brew, its not bad for the price is all...up yours, I'm grabbing another...I could grab a Devils Pale, or a Netherworld, or Bruichladdie...the Leafs lost again and I'm glad I didn't waste too much good beer tonight. Time and place my friends. Does anyone think Upper Canada Lager is a complete waste of time? Whatever, I like it anyway...give me something else at the same price and I'll lick it up.
Cheers!
Gord, I haven't had it recently but I will give it another shot soon. Thanks for posting.

As for the Leafs losing again..... well, its never too late to make a smart decesion. Other teams are accepting fans.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

Just picked up some Upper Canada Lager yesterday. It's a good beer to have when friends come by that only drink Coors Light (or equivalents).

Another option is Wellington Trailhead.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

matt7215 wrote:post of the year!!
Somehow I get the feeling that post should have been all in caps. :P
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is 13$ a 12-pack.

45 minute hike makes it worth the trip, and not having to settle for crap beers.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

And the worst of my homebrew can kick the ass of any beer you can find at minimum price.

Dont know why youd mention homebrew in there, unless you tried and failed.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

SteelbackGuy wrote:smart decesion
Interesting juxtaposition.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Could be the best thing that comes out of the Guelph Sleeman brewing facility, and seems to be more natural tasting without residual effects of preservatives.

Now Sleeman-branded stuff, it may have stabilizers and preservatives. It's NOT beer I like to drink.
In Beerum Veritas

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

I like true north ipa but it is out of your price range at 19.95 a 12, but at least it has taste.

scagooch

Post by scagooch »

I prefer Muskoka Premium lager to Upper Canada lager.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I prefer Muskoka Cream Ale to Muskoka Lager.

Hell, what do I know - my budget beer is PBR.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I also like High Life, but haven't actually bought it in years since I almost never buy my beer at the Brewers Retail.

gordmit

Post by gordmit »

"And the worst of my homebrew can kick the ass of any beer you can find at minimum price. Dont know why youd mention homebrew in there, unless you tried and failed."

Humble appologies Ian. I understand that real home brewers can and do produce outstanding product. My "homebrew" referenced the generic beer made from malt extracts at U-Brew shops. Even that can be decent, I've had them brew custom-modified batches to boost the hop content. Yet on a cost/convenience/taste ratio I still find that the "homebrew" I'm referring to is a bit below the value of Upper Canada lager. I wish that I had the time, patience and skill to brew my own real beer, and I am very respectful of the men and women, well...men mostly...who dedicate themselves to the pursuit...ALL HAIL ST. GAMBRINUS!
Gord

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

gordmit wrote:Upper Canada Lager?!?!? When I go into the Beer Store I simply can't justify paying more...<snipperoo> ...Whatever, I like it anyway...give me something else at the same price and I'll lick it up.
Cheers!
Good for you ...you found a commercial quaff beer.... find no shame in liking a Sleeman "good enough" brew...decently made, cost effective, easy drinking, flavorful and quenching....and you avoided feeding the evil empire of corporate LME brewers.

I ain't ashamed to be seen (often) at the Huether's Gold Crown brewery snagging a 12 of their Lion Dortmunder for a piffling $14.10. Its an all grain brew, fresh, tasty, decent noble hop bite and "it's good enough".

Remember all ye who imbibe those easy drinking quantities of brew that is "good enough": You may have had an excellent experience... or you may have wanted to end your miserable existence... just remember that it was 'Good enough'.
Aventinus rules!