Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Falling asleep with a beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

What do you do with beer from "the night before"?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 pm

I drink it right away! "Breakfast club" style.
23%
I re-cover it and drink it later.
23%
I just drain pour it.
54%

Total votes: 26

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

If I really want another beer and it is getting late then I will switch to cheap stuff rather than risk dozing off with a bottle of something special. If I wake up with a half bottle of Cool sitting on the table I won't feel too broken up about it but I'd rather enjoy my bottles of Hop Circle at their best.

I can handle pouring out a bit of cheap stuff but I am way too much of a tightwad to throw out anything that cost $2 per bottle or more. If it has really gone downhill overnight then it will be made into gravy or be added to the soup pot.

I had stomach surgery a few years back and couldn't handle anything carbonated for months afterwards. I would often open a bottle or two and leave them in the fridge to enjoy the next day. I will still put a half bottle in the fridge and finish it after work.

Years ago I might have downed it in the morning but I rarely want to start my day with something alcoholic anymore.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

If this happens to you, upon awakening take the vessel of neglected beer and add an ounce of Habanero sauce, a pickled herring and a pinch of Steelback Tango. Now chug it.

You will never make the same mistake again.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Ahh grasshopper, the question is as complex as the swirling wind.

If I fall asleep with a can of Pilsner Urquell, it gets dumped, unless I feel great when I wake up, in which case I'll cool it down and finish it off.

If I fall asleep with a bottle of Peche Mortel, I'll finish it, unless there is only an ounce or so left and I feel not so good, in which case I might drain pour.

All depends on the beer and the state.

For the record, wheat beers taste like complete shit the morning after.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Where's the option for "Don't realize you're still holding a beer, and pour it on yourself in a sleepy haze, followed by excessive cursing."?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I find it disturbing that so many of you have had this happen on a regular basis...

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

I find it disturbing that so many of you have had this happen on a regular basis...

Why would you be disturbed by this? Are you mother/father to any of the posters on this thread? If not, perhaps your disturbedness could be better directed.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:I find it disturbing that so many of you have had this happen on a regular basis...

Thanks Mom!!!

Seriously Jer, it is a fun thread with fun anecdotes. Don't like it? Don't participate. No need for the matronly belittling.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mooner

Post by mooner »

Surely it depends on the caliber of brew. I made the mistake of saving a DogFishHead World Wide Stout for the swan song of our annual Post-Christmas/Pre-Newyear tasting (image below). I came to with a quarter snifter of clearly the best Imperial Stout in Lambton County at the moment and a semi-clear head. A perfect nightcap... hehe.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Episode 7F18, 'Brush with Greatness'

Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

I've had to do a drain pour multiple times after snoring myself awake and finding a half finished glass of beer at 3am. However, being the smart guy that I am I usually cap off a night of drinking with a ST IPA, Duggan #9, or something else accesible so I won't feel that bad about pouring it.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The only qualm I have about falling asleep with a beer is having to wash my pillowcase the next morning.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

devonsleigh wrote:I've had to do a drain pour multiple times after snoring myself awake and finding a half finished glass of beer at 3am.
Yeah, and why the 3am? And why did snuggling into the sofa chair at 11pm to close my eyes 'just for a second' seem like such a great idea?

Won't get fooled again! :evil: (Not anytime soon at least.)
In Beerum Veritas

Milos

Post by Milos »

Len, when I think I heard it all......... :o
So many beers and so little time!!

carguy

Post by carguy »

I can say I've never had that happen. If it's the end of the evening and I still feel like a night cap, I'll forgo a beer and go for a sip of brandy or short glass of Oporto.

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

[quote="Belgian"]Yeah, and why the 3am? And why did snuggling into the sofa chair at 11pm to close my eyes 'just for a second' seem like such a great idea?
[/quote]

I do my best drinking after 10pm. Although it is a bit awkward when we have company over and that happens.