Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

If you had one city in Eastern Europe...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BooBoo

If you had one city in Eastern Europe...

Post by BooBoo »

to choose for beer, which one would you recommend?

My intuition says Prague, but I'm open to other ideas.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

What are you including in Eastern Europe? Prague would probably be up there.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Prague doesn't brew a lot of beers, so my answer would be the penguin.
In Beerum Veritas

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

For the purposes of my trip, Eastern Europe would include: Czech Republic, Turkey, Hungary, Bulgaria, Croatia, and Slovakia.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

notdan

Post by notdan »

Of the places mentioned, I've only been to Prague and Budapest. While I definitely preferred Budapest as a city, Prague was better for beer. Fresh Pilsner Urquell was common in both cities (and trust me, I had plenty), but Prague was better for bottle shops and beer bars. The one good beer bar I found in Budapest was all Belgian beers (which wasn't necessary for me since I was visiting Belgium later in the trip).

So yeah, my vote goes to Prague.

Milos

Post by Milos »

Prague has an a decent amount of great beer places and brew pubs.
You have to try unpasteurized version of Pilsner Urquell and Budvar which is not exported outside of country.

Good help is this book:
So many beers and so little time!!

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

The only place that I've been on that list is Prague/Czech Republic and I loved it. I've been there twice and I hope to return many times.
As Milos recommends, Evan Rail's book Good Beer Guide Prague and the Czech Republic is a great resource. But it is just a guide not a must see or must not see list. He gave a mediocre rating to Zamecky Pivovar in Chyse but when I visited they had their 'Anton' special on tap. Beautiful stuff! :)
I suggest NOT going to the Pilsner Urquell brewery in Pilsen. Because once you have tasted the Urquell fresh from the wooden barrells in the old lagering tunnels a can of Pilsner Urquell will never taste the same again! :wink:

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Are you kidding? Prague, Prague or Prague.