Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka's next seasonal announced on twitter ...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JerCraigs wrote:
Belgian wrote: It is official ratebeer fact that NO brewery in Ontario can make two versions of one style of beer. They will be merged immediately.
Or you know, the admins may have done some due diligence into it then decided.
No I agree and fully support them Jer. I was more taking the piss on the billions of versions of stouts that clog up the Top 50 (please don't look to hard at the math of that statement.)

Things are all good. 8)
JerCraigs wrote: The question of what is a "new recipe" vs. a "tweak", or "Dry hopped" vs. "enough extra hops that these are entirely different" are another story and open to a lot more debate.
Right, because every brewing of Devil's Pale would need its own rating! ;) No I'm kidding (a bit) and love the beer's ever-changing ways (especially changing gooder ways.)
In Beerum Veritas

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

mintjellie wrote:
bartle wrote:Give me a Denison's any day. I like the clove and sulphur far more when it comes to a good weiss.
I gave up on canned Denisons a long time ago and wont be going back. Had a bunch of cans with an unpleasant sour lemon flavour. I don't mean tangy, I mean sour. Not a good beer in that format.

A shame too, I used to drink it on tap when I used to go down to Toronto more often.
After recently buying a few different batches of the canned Denison's, it pains me to say it, but I agree. This is a shadow of the draught version. It's sad too because this is exactly why Micheal put off canning/bottling it for so long: concerns over quality control. This particular sample (from late February) I'm drinking right now, alongside a few classic German brands and the Muskoka Summer Weiss, is shamefully flat, both in terms of carbonation and flavour. The yeast profile is null and the usual cast of flavours are either vague or absent. And I'm noting the same sourness you were talking about. I've been meaning to re-review Denison's for awhile now but I refuse to do so from can, I'll wait until I'm out and order a pint off-tap. It wouldn't be fair reviewing this.

On another note, the Muskoka impressed me a lot. Lots of banana and vanilla character, a little bit of spice, great effervescence and the idyllic hefe appearance (millions of furious little bubbles and an ultra-lush creamy head). It's definitely holding its own against the Schneider, the Hacker-Pschorr and even the Weihenstephaner. I'd buy it again for sure.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

i had no intention of buying another bottle of the Muskoka, but we're having a BBQ tonight and one of our guests has brought over 6 of these. If it saves me money I will not complain.

Agreed re: the canned Dennisons vs. Dennisons on tap. The canned version is a poor representative of what this stuff tastes like on draught. Seems to go downhill quickly.

FWIW and I am likely in the minority here, but I found the canned Muskoka superior to the Dennisons last year.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

From the Muskoka Facebook page:
Muskoka Summer Weiss sales are up 1035% YTD over last years Hefe Weissbier numbers. Appears people are diggin the re-branding and new package! Thanks for the support everyone! You keep drinking and we'll keep brewing...
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Blankboy wrote:From the Muskoka Facebook page:
Muskoka Summer Weiss sales are up 1035% YTD over last years Hefe Weissbier numbers. Appears people are diggin the re-branding and new package! Thanks for the support everyone! You keep drinking and we'll keep brewing...
Maybe its the extra distribution, could hardly find the weiss cans in my area last year
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote: FWIW and I am likely in the minority here, but I found the canned Muskoka superior to the Dennisons last year.
Denisons. And both to me have flaws in the canned versions (Denisons can be lemony) yet both are still pretty darn good. I like the Summer Weisse better than either most of the time, though sometimes canned Denisons, well served is great.

I've been a picky Weissbier drinker for about 18 years, and would give up most of them for bottled Franziskaner! That pup really delivers.
In Beerum Veritas