Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka's next seasonal announced on twitter ...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jonah Hex

Muskoka's next seasonal announced on twitter ...

Post by Jonah Hex »

From http://twitter.com/MuskokaBrewery
First look at our next seasonal brew - Muskoka Summer Weiss (will be available April - Sept)
And have a look at the labeled bottle at http://twitpic.com/3yq7eg

I wonder how it'll differ from their Hefe-Weissbier?

The Harvest and especially the Stout have been impressive, so I guess I'll find out first-hand. :)
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

TJ

Post by TJ »

Jonah Hex wrote:From http://twitter.com/MuskokaBrewery
First look at our next seasonal brew - Muskoka Summer Weiss (will be available April - Sept)

The Harvest and especially the Stout have been impressive, so I guess I'll find out first-hand. :)
According to Troy's blog:

http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... witterfeed

"We used our popular Hefe-Weissbier as the base for this beer and have made a couple tweaks to brighten it up and make it a touch more sessionable for the summer season."

I like their hefe well enough, don't get me wrong, but I don't find it in any way unsessionable or in need of brightening up and it was just fine for summer drinking as is, minus the disappointing head. If they're making it lighter than it already is...I'd view this as a step back for their seasonal releases after the last two. We shall see.
Last edited by TJ on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Not a style that I typically like but I have to applaud Muskoka for continuing to be creative and brew some interesting stuff that the Ontario market is not used to seeing.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Sounds great, but I really prefer my weisse in smaller doses. 250 mL of that is gonna get warm or flat before I finish.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

TJ wrote:
Jonah Hex wrote:From http://twitter.com/MuskokaBrewery

According to Troy's blog:

http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... witterfeed

"We used our popular Hefe-Weissbier as the base for this beer and have made a couple tweaks to brighten it up and make it a touch more sessionable for the summer season."

I like their hefe well enough, don't get me wrong, but I don't find it in any way unsessionable or in need of brightening up and it was just fine for summer drinking as is, minus the disappointing head. If they're making it lighter than it already is and if this sells at the same price point as their previous seasonals I'd view this as a step back for their seasonal releases after the last two. We shall see.

Agreed.

Muskoks Hefe is one of the best hefes I've had. It is my favourite style, and one that I am picky about. It has the perfect amount of clove, banana, spice, sulphur, purfume, and so on and so forth. I prefer it to Dennison's (heresey I know, but I can only go by what I taste in my glass on a regular basis)and it is only matched my Weihenstephaner Hefe Weisse. Nothing needs to be improved unless they are trying to make some sort of American styled krisatal for the masses.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I hope Edel Weisse or Hopfen Weisse makes a return, because a slightly tweaked Muskoka Weissbier, sure OK I'll try it but still. They could have gone and make a slightly more minty-hoppy Hefe like Schneider has been doing, maybe that would sell OK here!

But whatever - let Muskoka have their fun, they brew pretty decent beer and the flip-tops are not prohibitive to us, at least (they can't be cheap to source.)

* edited for internets fail *
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Belgian wrote: But whatever - let Muskoka have their fun, they brew pretty decent beer and somebody will buy their flippy tops. I wish them well.
As a homebrewer, I must say Muskoka is an excellent source of beer for a bottle supplier. 8)

These guys are on a roll. I can't wait to try this one. I'm also pleasantly surprised by some of the unexpected places I'm seeing their seasonals show up on tap.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

I'm not gonna lie, I've been so impressed with Muskoka's last two seasonal offerings, they could brew pretty much anything and I'd buy it.

That being said, this will definitely have to be at a lower price point for it to be a repeat purchase (and I have to enjoy it, obviously)

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Guess people don't read anymore these days. TJ (who even linked to Troy's article with the pricing info contained within :roll: ) and Belgian: it's going to retail for $5.95. A pretty decent price for 750 ml, I think.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Why the hell are they vintage dating the bottles as 2011 when they have a best before date of Oct.31st 2011? Call me crazy but you only vintage date beers that are ageable. The only justification for this is if they plan on changing the recipe every time they make the beer which would at least give some justification...but still, if you can't age a beer there's no real need to vintage date the bottles. I guess it's a marketing gimmick.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

TJ

Post by TJ »

velovampire wrote:Guess people don't read anymore these days. TJ (who even linked to Troy's article with the pricing info contained within :roll: )
Well that's embarrassing. :oops:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Jon Walker wrote:Why the hell are they vintage dating the bottles as 2011 when they have a best before date of Oct.31st 2011? Call me crazy but you only vintage date beers that are ageable. The only justification for this is if they plan on changing the recipe every time they make the beer which would at least give some justification...but still, if you can't age a beer there's no real need to vintage date the bottles. I guess it's a marketing gimmick.
It is odd, but it's not new. Infinium is vintage dated, with a drink by summer recommendation. I also have some of the Sierra Nevada special edition IPAs that do the same thing.

As a marketer, my money is on it being a marketing ploy. It will confer an air of 'class' to some folks, and if it gets them to buy a good craft beer, I don't mind.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Definitely marketing-driven, but smart. Innis & Gunn is one of the best-sellers at the LCBO thanks in part to their marketing savvy - limited edition, beer-in-a-box and cask-aged sells.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

not much of a hefe fan, but Muskoka's was surprisingly good. after their double chocolate cranberry stout im gonna have to try this.

its funny, i used to hate most of the beers from this brewery, but lately im loving them.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Word on the street is that the Summer Weiss is hitting shelves.

And by word on the street I mean that I came across this today while googling it:

Can't find any sign of it on the LCBO site or drinkvine, however.