Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Province Updating Liquor Laws - Festivals

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
icemachine wrote:plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... ntoNewHome

TORONTO — Hang on to your beer tents.

Police chiefs in Ontario are raising new concerns about Premier Dalton McGuinty's pre-election plans to relax the province's liquor laws.

Ottawa Police Chief Vernon White said the move could encourage underage drinking, create a logistical nightmare for officers and unsafe environments for families.

The premier should have talked to the cops before putting the wheels in motion to revamp the rules, said Opposition Leader Tim Hudak.

"It's very odd that the premier would leave out the chiefs of police, who would have a very keen eye on what happens on the ground," he said.
I'm surprised this Hudak guy would say something like this. Actually........no I'm not. He's already proven he is as wishy washy as all the others.

What the hell does it have to do with the chiefs of police?
"Create a logistical nightmare" says the Ottawa Police Chief. What a load of flapdoodle.

Are there logisitcal nightmares all over Europe and in other countries where we don't have to drink in our homes, with the lights off, while hidden under a blanket?
I imagine Ontario cops would love the change. they could practice their kettling, beating and strip searching on 'drunks' at any public gathering rather than have to wait for a federally funded event.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

ErkLR wrote: The thing I'm interested in them changing is allowing smaller breweries to get together to share shipping costs to farther parts of Ontario.
Is this something that is currently on the table? I didn't even realize there was regulations against this. Although I did wonder why no breweries ever thought of this. I mean if Beau's is sending a guy in a truck down to Toronto every few weeks to supply Toronto area LCBO's and bars with lug tread, rather than driving an empty truck back to Vankleek hill, why not stop at somewhere like Black Oak and fill the truck up with Black Oak beer for delivery to Ottawa, and split the shipping costs.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Kel Varnsen wrote: Plus in the last two years I have been to Oktoberfest in Vankleek Hill, I don't remember seeing anyone either being thrown out by security or detained because they were out of control. And that was an event based around beer!
Sadly there is a difference between an event based around beer (Beau's Oktoberfest) and an even based around drinking (TFOB). Drunken idiots ruin it for the rest of us really.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Tapsucker wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
icemachine wrote:plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... ntoNewHome

TORONTO — Hang on to your beer tents.

Police chiefs in Ontario are raising new concerns about Premier Dalton McGuinty's pre-election plans to relax the province's liquor laws.

Ottawa Police Chief Vernon White said the move could encourage underage drinking, create a logistical nightmare for officers and unsafe environments for families.

The premier should have talked to the cops before putting the wheels in motion to revamp the rules, said Opposition Leader Tim Hudak.

"It's very odd that the premier would leave out the chiefs of police, who would have a very keen eye on what happens on the ground," he said.
I'm surprised this Hudak guy would say something like this. Actually........no I'm not. He's already proven he is as wishy washy as all the others.

What the hell does it have to do with the chiefs of police?
"Create a logistical nightmare" says the Ottawa Police Chief. What a load of flapdoodle.

Are there logisitcal nightmares all over Europe and in other countries where we don't have to drink in our homes, with the lights off, while hidden under a blanket?
I imagine Ontario cops would love the change. they could practice their kettling, beating and strip searching on 'drunks' at any public gathering rather than have to wait for a federally funded event.

Hey they only do that in Ottawa! :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
ErkLR wrote: The thing I'm interested in them changing is allowing smaller breweries to get together to share shipping costs to farther parts of Ontario.
Is this something that is currently on the table? I didn't even realize there was regulations against this. Although I did wonder why no breweries ever thought of this. I mean if Beau's is sending a guy in a truck down to Toronto every few weeks to supply Toronto area LCBO's and bars with lug tread, rather than driving an empty truck back to Vankleek hill, why not stop at somewhere like Black Oak and fill the truck up with Black Oak beer for delivery to Ottawa, and split the shipping costs.
As I understand it from someone at Scotch Irish, yes there is a regulation against this. I emailed them to ask why their regular products never got farther south than K/W. The reply was something to the effect that their beer isn't pasteurized and needs cold storage/shipping. The LCBO warehouses don't have cold storage (don't need it for liquor and wine), and they figured it would have a very short shelf life by the time it go to the shelves, so they ship it directly to the stores. She also mentioned that they were not allowed to combine shipping with other breweries because of regulations and so it gets very expensive to ship. I assume TO is worth the shipping because it's a huge market.

I don't see how this regulation benefits anyone except the macro breweries. I don't know how long a shipment of beer from ON would sit in the warehouse, but I think that would depend on the demand. Maybe someone like Len has a better idea.

I haven't heard it being on the table, but if they're taking input, it can be suggested.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I wonder if the shipping thing is something the OCB could be getting changed? I would think that it would be an easy sell from both an economic stimulus and environmental perspective!

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

For what it's worth there was a phone-in about this today on CBC Radio One, Ontario Today with a minister from the McGuinty government (can't remember his name). The phone calls were overwhelmingly positive for these changes and most people said they didn't go far enough. Only one person said things should stay the same, everyone else was for it.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

Inkling wrote:For what it's worth there was a phone-in about this today on CBC Radio One, Ontario Today with a minister from the McGuinty government (can't remember his name). The phone calls were overwhelmingly positive for these changes and most people said they didn't go far enough. Only one person said things should stay the same, everyone else was for it.
You can listen to a recording of the CBC show here:

http://www.cbc.ca/ontariotoday/

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

An article in The Review (a Vankleek Hill weekly publication):
"I would never consider just letting the public wander the grounds, walking around with drinks in their hands. There'd just be absolute chaos."
http://www.thereview.ca/story/changing- ... ome-change

I enjoy imagining Vankleek Hill in absolute chaos.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the self-righteous!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

sstackho wrote:An article in The Review (a Vankleek Hill weekly publication):
"I would never consider just letting the public wander the grounds, walking around with drinks in their hands. There'd just be absolute chaos."

Agreed! I've never considered attending the Glengarry Highland Games before, but the idea of CHAOS ensuing if a plastic cup full of coors lite made it past a snowfence sounds like the kind of anarchy I am looking for!! Where is my caber?!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

sstackho wrote:An article in The Review (a Vankleek Hill weekly publication):

Pretty much every quote out of that Highland Games guy seemed like something you would read in The Onion. Does he really think the Vankleek Hill Highland Games is going to turn into Lord of the Flies if someone were to walk out of the fenced in beer tent holding a half full glass of beer. Not to mention it kind of says something about what this guy thinks of the people who come to the highland games. I mean if I was someone who went to those games year after year I would be kind of pissed to find out that the organizer thought that all the ticket-buyers were a bunch of no-good drunks who can't be trusted.