Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dalton McGuinty and Ontario Craft Brewing

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lecocq

Dalton McGuinty and Ontario Craft Brewing

Post by Lecocq »

I absolutely despise Dalton McGuinty and can't wait until the end of this year when he will be voted out but I see know he has done at least ONE thing right in his time as premeir...mention and endorse Ontario craft beers.

http://www.youtube.com/premierofontario ... ZSR6kQUDGQ

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lecocq wrote:I absolutely despise Dalton McGuinty and can't wait until the end of this year when he will be voted out

You're right. And what is even scarier is who will likely be replacing him. *shudder*

Cool video. Thanks for posting it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Squinty says "Craft Beer" in quotation marks the way Dr. Evil would say "Time Machine".

This is cutting-edge shit! ;)
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'd be more impressed if Premier Dad would allow private stores to exist alongside the LCBO. If the variety stores of rural Ontario can be trusted to act as LCBO/Beer Store agencies, why couldn't approved variety stores in the rest of province do the same
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Lecocq wrote:I absolutely despise Dalton McGuinty and can't wait until the end of this year when he will be voted out

You're right. And what is even scarier is who will likely be replacing him. *shudder*

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

icemachine wrote:I'd be more impressed if Premier Dad would allow private stores to exist alongside the LCBO. If the variety stores of rural Ontario can be trusted to act as LCBO/Beer Store agencies, why couldn't approved variety stores in the rest of province do the same
As a quote I once read so eloquently put it: "Ontario, the province where fun came to die."
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Well, it's probably a bad idea to discuss politics on this board, but "who will be replacing him" is likely to be quite a bit better, especially from a craft beer/deregulation/privatization point of view. At least from early indications. Pretty hard to be worse to beer lovers, these latest small efforts to be beer friendly notwithstanding.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

midlife crisis wrote:
Well, it's probably a bad idea to discuss politics on this board, but "who will be replacing him" is likely to be quite a bit better, especially from a craft beer/deregulation/privatization point of view. At least from early indications. Pretty hard to be worse to beer lovers, these latest small efforts to be beer friendly notwithstanding.

You're right. From a beer perspective, absolutely.
Just not from pretty much any other stand point I can think of. Actually it is quite scary. But I shouldn't really get into that here. What will be will be. Its only beer!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

midlife crisis wrote:...Pretty hard to be worse to beer lovers, these latest small efforts to be beer friendly notwithstanding.
How about all of the previous governments; whoever put us un this spot to start with? Who thought it would be a good idea for two companies to control the beer store? That's who I'd like to talk to.

But I don't suppose that beer is going to become an election issue, buck-a-beer notwithstanding. (Most of the people I know who drink that shit don't vote anyways.)
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

The_Jester wrote:Who thought it would be a good idea for two companies to control the beer store? That's who I'd like to talk to.
No-one thought that - at least not at first.

When Brewer's Retail was created in 1927, it was run by a consortium of all of the breweries that existed in the province at the time. Over the years, all of those breweries except for Labatt and Molson were either shut down or bought out/merged, leading to their 50/50 ownership.

The big question is why none of the new breweries that have come along in the last three decades except for Sleeman has been allowed to take partial ownership. If the original intention was for BRI to be a consortium of ALL Ontario breweries, then shouldn't the government that was in power at the time each of these new breweries started have ensured that they were given a slice?

Yes, I know it's not that simple. Just making the point that it's not just the current Liberal gov't that's to blame for the mess - there's a long line of Liberal, Conservative and NDP governments who are all equally responsible. And I'm not expecting to see anything change when the next government comes to power, regardless of which party they represent.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Excellent post Greg.

Dalton did make a nice plug for craft beer in that video, but he also deferred the issues raised with TBS to the private entity 'TBS'.

And that's the crux of the problem. They ignore the issues with this outdated business, which has indeed evolved into something that was never intended (ie. no longer a Brewers Retail, but a foreign-owned monopoly), and they continue to refuse to allow a free market.

Or maybe they just hope TBS will devolve into recycling depots and more cash will flow into the LCBO outlets?

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Derek wrote: And that's the crux of the problem. They ignore the issues with this outdated business, which has indeed evolved into something that was never intended (ie. no longer a Brewers Retail, but a foreign-owned monopoly), and they continue to refuse to allow a free market.

Or maybe they just hope TBS will devolve into recycling depots and more cash will flow into the LCBO outlets?
Thinking about the beer store I am surprised that the two major players that own it, are able to place nice with each other long enough to keep the beer store running as well as it does. I mean how do they agree on the prices of Canadian vs. the prices of Blue, and how do they decide who gets the prime store space? It would be like if the government told Toyota and GM that all new dealership locations had to be shared, and expecting them to come to an agreement.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Kel Varnsen wrote: Thinking about the beer store I am surprised that the two major players that own it, are able to place nice with each other long enough to keep the beer store running as well as it does. I mean how do they agree on the prices of Canadian vs. the prices of Blue, and how do they decide who gets the prime store space? It would be like if the government told Toyota and GM that all new dealership locations had to be shared, and expecting them to come to an agreement.
I believe the breweries that submit the beer get to pick their price. So Molson, acting as the supplier (not the owner), gets to pick the price of Canadian.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:Excellent post Greg.

Dalton did make a nice plug for craft beer in that video, but he also deferred the issues raised with TBS to the private entity 'TBS'.

And that's the crux of the problem. They ignore the issues with this outdated business, which has indeed evolved into something that was never intended (ie. no longer a Brewers Retail, but a foreign-owned monopoly), and they continue to refuse to allow a free market.
Absurdly so. I too would hope the long-known obsolescence of TBS catches up with it.

I wonder if they ignore TBS out of convenience, this tax-collection lap dog which can after all have sharp teeth - business clout and a powerful worker's union. Does Ontario have the political will to upset such a big apple cart, and one the public so blandly puts up with?
In Beerum Veritas

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Belgian wrote:...I too would hope the long-known obsolescence of TBS catches up with it...
Unfortunately, there are only 93 people in the province who are aware of this fact.

Our only hope is that the huge Coors Light lobby starts pushing for beer at Costco in Ontario.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman