Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cheeses

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
BooBoo wrote:I absolutely love cheese with beer and there is always four or five different cheeses on the go whenever I host a tasting.

Cantenaar is one of my all time favs.

Pray tell about the Cantenaar.........
Cantenaar is a sharp, tart, hard cheese that has the added benefit of about 40% less fat than a lot of cheeses. This cheese has a lot of flavor! I have a tough time finding it in my city, but buy several pieces when I am back in Toronto. If you have them vacuum sealed it will keep for months. IMO this cheese is perfect with a really hoppy IPA. I'm eating some as we speak with a Tree Hophead Double IPA. Superb!
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Was able to get the French Muenster this morning, as well as some raw cow milk cave aged gruyere. Gonna see how these taste with a couple of schwarzbiers (Paddock Wood Black Cat and Kloster Badebier) as an appetizer, and then move onto a main course of grilled salmon marinated in a maple soy sauce.

Try Muenster for grilled cheese. Awesome stuff.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Caerphilly from Wales
and a really nice merlot Ubriaco
Wishing I had some art-is-in bread from home.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

markaberrant wrote:

Did you prepare this using rind or no rind?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

In addition to the cheeses, olives, summer sausage, smoked fish, even pickled herrings, anchovies, etc. all add up to a great beer session for me!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ok so I have a massive slab of Parmigiano-Reggiano (which is made with RAW COW'S MILK BTW) that I am working through tonight. One sliver at a time. Absolutely divine!

Sid, this also works with the Hophead.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Yeah, parm is pretty good with IPAs. Enjoy.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
markaberrant wrote:

Did you prepare this using rind or no rind?
I told you I wasn't good with names and types of cheeses. I meant American style Muenster makes an awesome grilled cheese.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Ohh they are legal. You can get raw milk goat cheddar, raw milk mozerella, raw milk anything really....all at SMith's Cheeses in the market here in London.
Yeah, that was really GREAT place. I sampled a lot of stuff from there!

Here's my new local:
http://www.carmelisgoatcheese.com/order.php

I gotta find someone with cows now... ;D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Parmigiano Reggiano (thin wedges as a snack)

Cheddar (3 YO bulk from St Lawrence or sometimes Irish Cheddar.)

Maybe some Asiago.

Sometimes Isle of Mull (thought too freaking costly now.)
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:Parmigiano Reggiano (thin wedges as a snack)

Cheddar (3 YO bulk from St Lawrence or sometimes Irish Cheddar.)

Maybe some Asiago.

Sometimes Isle of Mull (thought too freaking costly now.)

<---- Interested in Isle of Mull!!!

I tell ya, that Reggiano is like crack!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
<---- Interested in Isle of Mull!!!
It is a cloth-wrapped 'farmhouse' cheese with dark pungent seams running through it. So depending who made it, the ripeness and the cut it is always a little different.

There's also some rare breed of cow they use for part of the milk.
In Beerum Veritas

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

mintjellie wrote:Where do you guys get the raw milk cheeses? That stuff is illegal here.
Not if it's been aged long enough. (think it's at least 60 days, unless i'm mistaken).

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Y'all talkin' 'bout cheese?

Well let me tell you.... a real good, real nice, real good cheese shop in the middle of no-where is "Local Dairy Products" out of Ingersol, that guy knows his fine cheeses! Real artisnal stuff. Here is an article on his company.

http://www.ontariocheese.org/press/ont_ ... -05-30.php

I can find a few of his products, like the paneer, at the Covent Garden in London.

Additionally, whenever I find myself in Toronto, you go down to Cheese Magic, and Global Cheese at Baldwin St. & Kensington Ave. Those guys will take care of all your cheese needs! Huge free samples of any cheese you point at, and all the info and background on anything they sell in the store. I once asked them for a cheese that tasted like butter, they had two! I forget the names but I'll be damned if I couldn't tell i was eating cheese or butter that's how good it was.

Check 'em out!

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Had a delicious Triple-Crème from Quebec tonight so creamy it was almost like butter. Can't remember the name though. I also had a nice Blue from Quebec called Ciel De Charlevoix it is very well made middle of the pack Blue in terms of bite and pungency.
We can get drunker than this!!