Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cheeses

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

irishkyle21 wrote:Had a delicious Triple-Crème from Quebec tonight so creamy it was almost like butter. Can't remember the name though. I also had a nice Blue from Quebec called Ciel De Charlevoix it is very well made middle of the pack Blue in terms of bite and pungency.

See, those are really good ones, and when they are like butter, I often spread some on some breads. Mmmmmmmmmmm.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Okay so I'm a bit of a cheese-n00b, but I'm enjoying some baby parmesan at the moment with my GR Curmudgeon. Not sure if the styles are particularly supposed to work well together, but both beer and cheese are delicious. I think I'll be getting into cheese more seriously in the near future...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseM wrote:Okay so I'm a bit of a cheese-n00b, but I'm enjoying some baby parmesan at the moment with my GR Curmudgeon. Not sure if the styles are particularly supposed to work well together, but both beer and cheese are delicious. I think I'll be getting into cheese more seriously in the near future...

The IPA and parmesan pairing works well. Try getting parmesan reggiano as a next step and watch the magic with a bitter IPA. Pecorino works too as does aged asiago.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Enjoyed some soft goats cheese from Carmelis... a bit like brie, with some mushroom flavour. Went well with my 1.5yr old wet-hopped imperial stout, followed by a Rasputin (which was a little fresh, I prefer it aged).

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Just getting into some of the different cheeses. Tonight a great mix in:

Mouton Rouge
Chipotle Pepper Chevre
Cambozola
Tomato and Olive gouda

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Grana Padano Parmesan with a Yukon "Discovery" Honey ESB - gives the Parmesan a slight smoke flavour. The Parmesan is fantastic on its own though!!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Is anyone making their own? I thought about trying a soft cheese at one point... but life got busy and now that book is either packed away in some box or lost forever!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ritzkiss wrote:Just getting into some of the different cheeses. Tonight a great mix in:

Mouton Rouge
Chipotle Pepper Chevre
Cambozola
Tomato and Olive gouda
Try that cambozola sprinkled over steak with roasted walnuts. Really tasty.

The Chipotle pepper chevre is great if you heat it up just a bit using the oven broiler.......it gets a slight crust and maintains the soft and creamy inside, and is delicious spread that way on breads.

The T& O Gouda is a good option for sandwiches, crowd pleasing, and sliced thin on garden salad.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Derek wrote:Is anyone making their own? I thought about trying a soft cheese at one point... but life got busy and now that book is either packed away in some box or lost forever!
We were thinking about trying that but like you, life got busy. We'll revisit that at some point.

One of our favourite cheeses is Beemster XO.
lister

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Definitely try some Fifth Town cheeses if you get a chance. Pricey but delicious. I've only tried the washed-rind Cape Vessey but it was awesome!

http://www.fifthtown.ca/artisan_cheese
^^^Hop-head ^^^

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

IPA_Lover wrote:Definitely try some Fifth Town cheeses if you get a chance. Pricey but delicious. I've only tried the washed-rind Cape Vessey but it was awesome!

I've had the Cave-Aged Goat and the Raw Cow's Milk Smoked Cheddar, both superb. Picked them up at Olympic in St. Lawrence. Like you say, pricey but worth it, IMO.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

beer bistro used to do a beer school of 4 classes--and 1 of them was beer and cheese...anyone know if Brian is still offering these?

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

IPA_Lover wrote:Definitely try some Fifth Town cheeses if you get a chance. Pricey but delicious. I've only tried the washed-rind Cape Vessey but it was awesome!

They are located up in my neck of the woods and are truly outstanding. Most of the better restaurants in Prince Edward County are incorporating their cheeses into the menu. This is a great area for food in the summer. Also, Barley Days Brewery are improving their products as well.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Thanks to the suggestions in this thread, picked up some Beemster XO, Munster and some Buffalo parm at St. Lawrence this past weekend. Fantastic cheeses! My wife normally can't stomach stronger IPAs or a IIPA like Tree's Hophead but the parm really takes the edge off it and she actually enjoyed it. :)

Also had did a tasting of Panil with the parm and some 24 month Prosciutto di Parma. Star article on Panil mentioned it was good with rich fatty foods and it definitely was.

Keep the cheese suggestions coming!
^^^Hop-head ^^^

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:Is anyone making their own? I thought about trying a soft cheese at one point... but life got busy and now that book is either packed away in some box or lost forever!
I would love to, but I have enough damn hobbies. Same with one of my buddies, who says, "I am one more hobby away from a divorce!"