Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A-B to buy Goose Island for $38.8M

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

JerCraigs wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:
mintjellie wrote:How many of you folks who are thinking twice about buying GI products in the future still drink Unibroue?
Just for the record I haven't bought a Unibroue product since Sleeman took over... still plenty of independent brewers who deserve my money.
Which ones are producing Unibroue like beers? With the possible exception of DDC, and maybe one or two from out west I haven't had anything produced in Canada that really rivals Unibroue in those styles.

As much as I like to support the little guy, if Molson comes out with a Rochefort 10 clone you better believe I'm buying some.
totally agree with you jerc

i really dont care who owns the brewery, i care a lot more about how good the beer is

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:
mintjellie wrote:How many of you folks who are thinking twice about buying GI products in the future still drink Unibroue?
Just for the record I haven't bought a Unibroue product since Sleeman took over... still plenty of independent brewers who deserve my money.
Which ones are producing Unibroue like beers? With the possible exception of DDC, and maybe one or two from out west I haven't had anything produced in Canada that really rivals Unibroue in those styles.

As much as I like to support the little guy, if Molson comes out with a Rochefort 10 clone you better believe I'm buying some.

Chin Chin!
Agree with that, Jer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

JerCraigs wrote:

I haven't had anything else produced by a Canadian brewery either that rivals Unibroue in Belgian style ales. Not a big loss though as Allagash and Ommegang still do the trick, and the LCBO still comes through with good authentic Belgians.

Molson could produce the greatest beer ever made and I still wouldn't buy it.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

DragonOfBlood wrote: Molson could produce the greatest beer ever made and I still wouldn't buy it.
I never really understood this kind of premise. To me this is the equivalent of drinking Trafalgar just on principal because they are an Ontario microbrewery.

jayB

Post by jayB »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
I haven't had anything else produced by a Canadian brewery either that rivals Unibroue in Belgian style ales. Not a big loss though as Allagash and Ommegang still do the trick, and the LCBO still comes through with good authentic Belgians.

Molson could produce the greatest beer ever made and I still wouldn't buy it.
Does it bother you that Ommegang is owned by Duvel Moortgat, a European company with (according to Google Finance) almost a half billion dollar market capitalization?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I hate banks. I will not drink beer from any brewery with a line of credit. :wink:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

I would say the difference between this purchase and the others mentioned is that AB/Inbev is pretty much the biggest shit pile of all the major brew companies (no actual scientific evidence available). After their dismantling of Lakeport and diss to the people of Halifax by moving the Keith's production out of their city I have little faith that they won't make this into some sort of mess and even if they don't they're still pretty low on my list of companies that I want to give money to regardless of the quality of product they're offering.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote: Molson could produce the greatest beer ever made and I still wouldn't buy it.
I never really understood this kind of premise. To me this is the equivalent of drinking Trafalgar just on principal because they are an Ontario microbrewery.
Perhaps DragonOfBlood has that salmon mentality, always swimming upstream without necessarily understanding why. Perhaps he's Don Quixote. Perhaps he's twenty, not that there is anything wrong with that. Still, a blanket statement such as he made calls maturity-not conviction-into question.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

matt7215 wrote: i really dont care who owns the brewery, i care a lot more about how good the beer is
I do care... its just that the quality/flavour of the beer is the first step in my decision tree, not the size of the brewery.

If Beer X and Beer Y are equally good, I will generally try and support the small brewery over the big guys.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
I think some people just don't like supporting big corporate breweries that are seen as hostile to the craft beer world.

Personally I don't like supporting any brewery that has a cost-cutting, quantity-over-quality approach.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'm not m,uch of an activist - As long as the Beer is still good, I'll still drink them. If they change, then I won't.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
Don't be silly, no one (in their right mind) drinks Trafalgar. Seriously though if you don't understand why then it's a waste of my time to explain.
jayB wrote:
Does it bother you that Ommegang is owned by Duvel Moortgat, a European company with (according to Google Finance) almost a half billion dollar market capitalization?
No, it doesn't.
JesseM wrote:
I think some people just don't like supporting big corporate breweries that are seen as hostile to the craft beer world.

Personally I don't like supporting any brewery that has a cost-cutting, quantity-over-quality approach.
Bingo on both sentiments.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

People should support, or not, a brewery for whatever reason they want.

My reasons relate to taste and inherent quality. Trafalgar has made some excellent beers in the last year - I will buy again. SAB Miller ships Urquell here within 3 months and it tastes great (I know the beer since the early 70's): I will buy it again. Durham makes a great English-style ale, and also an APA-style, that deliver on handpump to the max - I will buy again.

I don't like Labatt Blue, I don't like Coors Light, I don't like this craft brewery or that - I won't buy them.

That's how I approach it.

Gary
Gary Gillman