Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A-B to buy Goose Island for $38.8M

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

A-B to buy Goose Island for $38.8M

Post by GregClow »

Wow - pretty big news for the US craft beer scene! (It might take a while for the beernews links to load as the site looks like it's getting slammed at the moment):

http://beernews.org/2011/03/anheuser-bu ... 8-million/

http://beernews.org/2011/03/chicago-sma ... y-planned/

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2011 ... sland.html

Wonder who will be next to fall...?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Brewmaster stepping down. That scares me a lot.

Hopefully the beers do not go to shit. I haven't had enough of them.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

This is terrible news on many fronts.

Yesterday I was tryign to figure out how to get my hands on their new imperial stout. Today I am wondering if I even care...

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

Glad I drank me a bunch while I was down in the US on the weekend, could be my last $ spent on their beer.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

I heard that the next batch of BCS will come in clear 12oz bottles and will be brewed with lime :)

Seriously this sucks though, I really did like their brews

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

I find this interesting, I mean people (not just here) are alredy complaining and the deal is barely done. My thinking is really who cares who owns the company as long as they make good products. And if this pushes A-B to make better beer across the line isn't that a good thing? I mean brewers in Europe have shown that huge companies can make really good beer.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Kel Varnsen wrote:I find this interesting, I mean people (not just here) are alredy complaining and the deal is barely done. My thinking is really who cares who owns the company as long as they make good products. And if this pushes A-B to make better beer across the line isn't that a good thing? I mean brewers in Europe have shown that huge companies can make really good beer.
The same happened in the UK when Young's & Well's joined forces. A week after the merger people were complaining the beers tasted different; it was a couple of months before the 'merger' ales were actually released!!!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Apparently new brewmaster will be from Deschutes. That's sounds good.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

cfrancis wrote:Apparently new brewmaster will be from Deschutes. That's sounds good.
That certainly changes my negative opinion on the fact that the current brewmaster is stepping down.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I seem to remember InBev recently opening up some capacity in the Keiths plant, maybe they will transfer some production over there. :o
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Like many others, my first reaction to this is "ah shit" and I will have second thoughts before drinking another Goose Island beer, but if I put myself in 68 year old John Hall's place, after 23 years of busting his hump in the craft beer business (I'll assume he was busting his hump because if making craft beer successfully was easy, we'd all be doing it) AB shows up with a cheque for $22M of which I have to assume he gets a significant chunk, I'd do the same thing i.e. SELL!!

who wouldn't?
Last edited by NRman on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

NRman wrote:Like many others, my first reaction to this is "ah shit" and I will have second thoughts before drinking another Goose Island beer, but if I put myself in 68 year old Jim Halls place, after 23 years of busting his hump in the craft beer business (I'll assume he was busting his hump because if making craft beer successfully was easy, we'd all be doing it) AB shows up with a cheque for $22M of which I have to assume he gets a significant chunk, I'd do the same thing i.e. SELL!!

who wouldn't?
That's the other reason why this kind of thing never bothers me. I mean from what you hear about brewers working their asses off for little profits, and this guy was basically given a truck full of money for his company. I mean people can talk about greed and selling out and that sort of thing, but how many of us could really turn down that much money.

Plus look at it this way, at least for right now, A-B now has a line of award winning Imperial Stouts. To me that alone is kind of cool.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

If these beers don't change and find their way to Ontario somehow, I'm all for it.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

(Chicago, IL) – Goose Island Beer Company is excited to announce the appointment of Brett Porter as Brewmaster of the company’s Fulton Street brewery, effective May 1, 2011. Taking over the reins from long-term Brewmaster Greg Hall, Porter will oversee the creative and technical development of Goose Island’s award-winning portfolio of beers.

Before joining Goose Island as Head Brewer in May 2010, Porter worked from 2005 to 2010 as Head Brewer at Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Ore., where his beers earned more than 150 awards. Previously, Porter was Head Brewer of Portland Brewing, a position he held from 1993 to 2005. His resume also includes brewing apprenticeships in England at Bunces Brewery and Holden’s Brewery.

Porter graduated with a B.A. from University of Oregon in 1988, continuing on to do graduate work in biology, chemistry and English. A lifelong student of beer, Porter studied brewing at University of California at Davis and has served as Secretary/Treasurer of District Northwest Master Brewers Association of America from 2008 to 2010.

Renowned in beer circles for his technical mastery, Porter’s experience at Goose Island has allowed him to focus on creativity and innovation. He says, “Goose Island has somehow retained an approach to beer that you often only find at brewpubs, an ultimate respect for the craft of brewing. John Hall is always encouraging brewers to first do what is best for the beer. It is the kind of environment where a brewer can focus on the craft and be creative to explore.”

In taking over the reins from Greg Hall, Porter says he intends to carry on Hall’s open-mindedness and innovative spirit. “When it comes to creative ideas, I have not heard Greg say ‘no’ even once. It is a philosophy that inspires a brewing team to think anything is possible, and I can tell you from experience that it makes for some pretty exciting discoveries.” Porter also admires Hall’s culinary connections in the Chicago community. “Greg is an integral and respected member of the great food town that is Chicago. The best way to tell you my desire to carry on this tradition is: I am hungry.”

Greg Hall is excited that Brett Porter will continue Goose Island’s legacy of innovation and growth. “Brett is a fantastic brewer,” Hall says. “His years brewing in the Northwest made him a perfect choice for Head Brewer last year and a natural choice for the next Goose Island Brewmaster. I’m certain under Brett’s watch, Goose Island will continue to brew outstanding, innovative beers.” Hall will serve as Consultant to the company, advising Goose Island on strategic direction, beer styles, marketing and brand positioning.

Founded by John Hall in 1988, Goose Island Beer Company is one of the Midwest’s first craft breweries. Goose Island is acclaimed for creating world-class ales including 312 Urban Wheat Ale, Honker’s Ale, India Pale Ale, Matilda, Pere Jacques, Sofie, and a wide variety of seasonal, draft-only and barrel-aged releases including Bourbon County Brand Stout, the original bourbon barrel-aged beer. Located at 1800 W. Fulton St., Chicago, Ill., 312-226-1119, www.gooseisland.com.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Just coming out of the craft brewers conference this is certainly interesting timing as that's a big love-in for small brewers.

But really, any of the brewers there (I would guess) would love to be Sam Calagione or Greg Koch and do really well business-wise. The founder is in his 60s and his decades of work has now paid off in spades.

They've obviously gotten in a legit new brewer so if the beers stay good I don't see a problem here. Anyone that doesn't agree with giving money to big companies can obviously pick from lots of other independent beers out there.

The craft beer scene in the U.S. is hot right now and one of the trends (as mentioned at the CBC) is the presence of more private equity and external money coming into craft beer. I wouldn't be surprised to see more deals like this one go down in the coming months.