Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Baseball'n'Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Malcolm

Baseball'n'Beer

Post by Malcolm »

For those who like to enjoy baseball with a pint or five of your favourite, C'est What now has Sportsnet 1, thereby ensuring all 162 Jays games will be watchable. And if the season is anything like the scene there last Friday, it'll be one for the ages.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Malcolm wrote: thereby ensuring all 162 Jays games will be watchable.
I think you meant to say "available for viewing". Watchable may be overselling it ;)

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Meanwhile, some of us fondly remember the days when C'est What had no televisions at all...

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

It's not like the sound is on and there's TVs all over the place, there's only two and they're pretty easy to avoid. :roll:
lister

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Malcolm wrote:For those who like to enjoy baseball with a pint or five of your favourite, C'est What now has Sportsnet 1, thereby ensuring all 162 Jays games will be watchable. And if the season is anything like the scene there last Friday, it'll be one for the ages.
And they've also replaced their two old units above the bar with sleek new larger flat screens. A nice option on a rainy night, or for road games. I know I'll be going to C'est even more often during the season with this new development. A positive maneuver. Go Jays.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

I was at the Opening Night game, in the 500 Level.
The beer selection is dreadful, don't get me wrong, but I was a bit shocked at what wasn't for sale.

On draft; Bud & Bud Light
In Tall Cans; Bud, Bud Light, Bud Light w Lime, Keiths, & Stella Artois
Perhaps the selection is larger on the lower levels??

Yes, they're all from AB-InBev, but where were the Labatt brands? or even Lakeport?
I can't stand Blue, 50 would be fine, but I feel that local products ( even if they are macros ) should be on sale in a Toronto stadium.
I think it's really poor that no local brands are on sale, despite the fact that Bud and BL are brewed here.
Last edited by hopdevil on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It's unfortunate how poor the selection of beer is at the Rogers Centre. I realize that we're always comparing to the U.S. but many ballparks down there regularly see macrobrew alongside micro. Wish it could be like that here.

Take a look at this:
http://beerinbaltimore.com/?p=5622

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Steamwhistle has tweeted that it is available at Skydome. I'm not sure where.
lister

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

lister wrote:Steamwhistle has tweeted that it is available at Skydome. I'm not sure where.
Probably in the restaurant or the Hard Rock Cafe.

First year I went to Skydome (2004) I was able to get bottles of Sam Adams. Come the 2005 season, it was what is on offer now. I still can't believe people pay the prices for a tall boy, and get lashed at the game. More money than sense!!

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

lister wrote:Steamwhistle has tweeted that it is available at Skydome. I'm not sure where.
Steamwhistle is available but only in a couple of locations and not up on the 500 level. The Gibson's lounge in the 200 section had cans last year and I'm pretty sure there's a stand down on the 100 level that only sells Steamwhistle.

The beer selection is embarrassing especially at the prices - $10.50 for a can of 'premium' (Stella or Keith's).

If the concessions were even slightly better in the Rogers Center I would guess they could see a slight increase in attendance, overpriced shit will keep people away from paying to see a team that aren't in the habit of competing for a playoff spot. I would still make my 10-12 games a year regardless but I'd buy a lot more beer that's for sure.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

I recall staying at the Renaissance some years back and they had good beer. In fact I may have had my first ever Tankhouse there.

There is the Arriba Lounge that looks out on the field.
I just called to check and they have what might be the best beer in the dome?
Example: on tap = Chuck Noris IPA 8.50 pint, tax in. Tankhouse in a bottle and some common Wellington stuff. I didn't write fast enough. Not the greatest but better than what is being described in this thread. Have no idea how tickets are handled but I assume similar to the Hard Rock

http://www.facebook.com/ArribaRestaurant

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hmm, not bad seats. I'll keep those in mind so I don't have to deal with the idiots on opening day next year. As well, I'd rather spend $8.50 on a real pint than $10 + on a can of crap.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

electroluminescent wrote:

The beer selection is embarrassing especially at the prices - $10.50 for a can of 'premium' (Stella or Keith's).

Wow, unreal. Ouch.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

A 2009 report showed that the San Francisco Giants stadium had the most expensive beer at $8.75 US for 20-ounce beer. But look at the selection they've got: http://www.brewlounge.com/2006/07/beer- ... iants.html

If it's true that you now pay $10.50 at the Rogers Centre then that could well be the most expensive in the entire MLB.