Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Terry David Mulligan to the rescue

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Uncle Bobby

Terry David Mulligan to the rescue

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Article from today's G&Mon TDM's one man protest against archaic federal laws which prevent the "importation" of alcohol products from one province to another.

No doubt any changes would impact many of the members of this community (the brewers), although how practical it would be to develop markets in the far-flung provinces of the confederation is a different question.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I really think the sprawling web of rules - as these pertain to individuals traveling with a case of wine or beer - is more just to 'have something over us' than to rigorously enforce penalties. As Canadians we are just made to FEEL that it's somehow "wrong" without any real criminality to the act, see?

We fear being caught out, so 'they' still have all the power.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This reminds me of an event I'd like to stage using my 'rise against' personality.

Called "A Drink in the Park", I want to have an event on the Queen's Park lawn whereby we all bring a can (no bottles) of beer and ceremonially drink it in protest of open-container rules. Always thought it would be fun, but not sure about having an arrest on my record just yet :-)

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Belgian wrote:I really think the sprawling web of rules - as these pertain to individuals traveling with a case of wine or beer - is more just to 'have something over us' than to rigorously enforce penalties. As Canadians we are just made to FEEL that it's somehow "wrong" without any real criminality to the act, see?

Fascinating..
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I've never even heard of this. Did I read this wrong, or have I broken a federal law when I bought from BC and AB home to ON with me? Not to mention the East Coast and Quebec.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

ErkLR wrote:I've never even heard of this. Did I read this wrong, or have I broken a federal law when I bought from BC and AB home to ON with me? Not to mention the East Coast and Quebec.
Yes, you broke the law. It is legal from the US to Canada if you declare at the border, but illegal from one province to the next.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Some links:
http://winecountrybc.wordpress.com/2011 ... my-grapes/
http://freemygrapes.ca/take-action.shtml

Ron Cannan's motion 601 was turned down, but he has said he'll raise it again if he's re-elected (though I'm not sure I can vote on only one issue).

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Won't somebody please think of the children?

Actually, I've gotten sooo tired of the b.s. that all I can really say is fuck 'em, brew your own.

Our poor, poor entrepreneurs (and economy in general) are subject to the kind of regulation that almost killed the industrial revolution in Europe. Oh my, they can weave with water power, they must be witches - burn them!!!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

No doubt many will already have seen this one, but it adds a few points to this string.

Here is a link to an article by Josh Rubin in today's Star once again addressing the issue of the inter-provincial "importation" of alcohol. I found it in the Business section of my paper edition -- I think Rubin usually is published in the Life section.

My only observation -- and it is largely conjecture -- is that provincial regimes will continue to defend this system, offering incremental changes at best. The liquor control system in Canada offers provincial governments a big, fat, singular pipeline of tax revenues, and of profits for those provinces which keep a hand in sales. No voter in Canada appears to be dumb enough to give up socialized health, and yet the political parties are driven to reduce tax rates for corporate taxpayers. The money has to come from somewhere. That means liquor, ciggies and gambling.

Here are Ontario's revenue assumptions for the coming fiscal year. Note revenue from personal income tax ($25B), sales tax ($20B) and corporate income tax (almost $9B).

Any further on the topic and my statements are probably going to begin sounding ideological. But that in my view is why it will be hard to wean them off this money, even if it is an out-and-out restriction on trade.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote:This reminds me of an event I'd like to stage using my 'rise against' personality.

Called "A Drink in the Park", I want to have an event on the Queen's Park lawn whereby we all bring a can (no bottles) of beer and ceremonially drink it in protest of open-container rules. Always thought it would be fun, but not sure about having an arrest on my record just yet :-)
At the 1983 Vanier Cup, there were many of us consuming beer on the sidewalk outside of Varsity Stadium. The police - including several mounted on horseback - simple took a contain and control approach.

I am also not too willing to get an arrest on my record, but if this protest was large enough and done peacefully, I doubt any arrests would occur.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

kwjd wrote:
ErkLR wrote:I've never even heard of this. Did I read this wrong, or have I broken a federal law when I bought from BC and AB home to ON with me? Not to mention the East Coast and Quebec.
Yes, you broke the law. It is legal from the US to Canada if you declare at the border, but illegal from one province to the next.
The summer I was 18, I remember bringing some beer back from Quebec. I knew I was breaking the law because while the drinking age in Quebec was 18, it was 19 in Ontario.

I think these inter-provincial laws are in place to prevent larger scale businesses from moving liquour around and somehow avoiding all the taxes due. I would be very surprised if an individual were ever charged for transporting personal liquour across provincial borders. Like many of you, I have done so several times including air travel.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:I really think the sprawling web of rules - as these pertain to individuals traveling with a case of wine or beer - is more just to 'have something over us' than to rigorously enforce penalties. As Canadians we are just made to FEEL that it's somehow "wrong" without any real criminality to the act, see?

Do you think there a lot of folks that actually fear being caught? There is almost no way you'd get caught.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

We should all build a list of our favourite obscure out of province beers and start private ordering a few bottles at a time and see if we can drive the LCBO bonkers.

Wear 'em down one small transaction at a time.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Tapsucker wrote:We should all build a list of our favourite obscure out of province beers and start private ordering a few bottles at a time and see if we can drive the LCBO bonkers.

Wear 'em down one small transaction at a time.
I know it's not the point, but I think that private orders are a minimum of one case.

gordmit

Post by gordmit »

I heard once it was the unions that shut down the provincial borders. I was at the beer store last night sniffin' around for a cheap hot weather beer---nearly broke my back picking up a chest of 28 Brava for $34. I suspected it was made in Canada - but the box said something like the "Brava brewing company". Looking closer around the neck label it listed the cities and provinces it was brewed, and 'Union Made'n. Unless I've been remiss in taking the Brava brewery tour in London Ontario, I suspect it was brewed just down the street from my house. Anyway, it made me recall what someone said about the unions protecting their turf. Not slagging unions, just making a possible connection. As for the Brava beer, it was cold and fresh - 8 down, 20 more to go...OL-EH!
Gord