Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Terry David Mulligan to the rescue

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

gordmit wrote:I heard once it was the unions that shut down the provincial borders. I was at the beer store last night sniffin' around for a cheap hot weather beer---nearly broke my back picking up a chest of 28 Brava for $34. I suspected it was made in Canada - but the box said something like the "Brava brewing company". Looking closer around the neck label it listed the cities and provinces it was brewed, and 'Union Made'n. Unless I've been remiss in taking the Brava brewery tour in London Ontario, I suspect it was brewed just down the street from my house. Anyway, it made me recall what someone said about the unions protecting their turf. Not slagging unions, just making a possible connection. As for the Brava beer, it was cold and fresh - 8 down, 20 more to go...OL-EH!
Brava...former Lakeport brand now owned by Labatt and made where they brew "The Good Stuff" :D

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Belgian wrote:I really think the sprawling web of rules - as these pertain to individuals traveling with a case of wine or beer - is more just to 'have something over us' than to rigorously enforce penalties. As Canadians we are just made to FEEL that it's somehow "wrong" without any real criminality to the act, see?

We fear being caught out, so 'they' still have all the power.
Do you think there a lot of folks that actually fear being caught? There is almost no way you'd get caught.
Maybe no way to get caught crossing from Gatineau to Ottawa with a trunk load from Costco, but here in Newfoundland Labrador the NLC is making noises about a crackdown on people going to Fermont Quebec.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... l-513.html

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

At one point (I don't think they still do this...) the New Brunswick Liquor Commission was selling beer under their own name (brewed by Moosehead if I'm not mistaken), and one of the stated reasons IIRC was lost sales to cheap beer in PQ.

Not saying the reason was true or not.

Maybe the NL LC should brew their own!!

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

rejtable wrote:
Maybe the NL LC should brew their own!!
I'll only agree to that if we can get Greg Nash to do the brewing :D

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Save $16 on a case - Maybe the NL government should lower the tax burden on its beer drinkers instead.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Cagiva650 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Belgian wrote:I really think the sprawling web of rules - as these pertain to individuals traveling with a case of wine or beer - is more just to 'have something over us' than to rigorously enforce penalties. As Canadians we are just made to FEEL that it's somehow "wrong" without any real criminality to the act, see?

We fear being caught out, so 'they' still have all the power.
Do you think there a lot of folks that actually fear being caught? There is almost no way you'd get caught.
Maybe no way to get caught crossing from Gatineau to Ottawa with a trunk load from Costco, but here in Newfoundland Labrador the NLC is making noises about a crackdown on people going to Fermont Quebec.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... l-513.html
Wow that story is crazy. When reading this thread my big question was who was inforcing these interprovincial importation laws, because I couldn't imagine the local police anywhere actually caring enough to chace down cars crossing unchecked provincial borders with booze in their trunk, and I couldn't see the AGCO or their counterparts in other provinces handing out badges and setting up enforcement officers for this kind of thing .

But that is crazy that in labrador that the cops actually care about this and actually have the time and resources to go after people. I think if you tried that in Ottawa, the chief of police would tell the province that they have more than enough real crimes to investigate and prevent, and any lost tax revenue they might recover wouldn't really make up for the extra costs involved with doing this work (at least I hope he would).

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Kel Varnsen wrote: Wow that story is crazy. When reading this thread my big question was who was inforcing these interprovincial importation laws, because I couldn't imagine the local police anywhere actually caring enough to chace down cars crossing unchecked provincial borders with booze in their trunk, and I couldn't see the AGCO or their counterparts in other provinces handing out badges and setting up enforcement officers for this kind of thing .

But that is crazy that in labrador that the cops actually care about this and actually have the time and resources to go after people. I think if you tried that in Ottawa, the chief of police would tell the province that they have more than enough real crimes to investigate and prevent, and any lost tax revenue they might recover wouldn't really make up for the extra costs involved with doing this work (at least I hope he would).
I would think that doing an actual crack-down would be the best way to get the law abolished because of the backlash from an obviously farcical law. I think few people actually even know there are trade restrictions between provinces that aren't restrictions between COUNTRIES. However, I would not want to be one of the people who would have to suffer being prosecuted for this offence to make that change.

As for cops just stopping cars travelling back from QC; unless they have a report the car came out of a SAQ store or someone saw them load the trunk, it would be a pretty obvious violation of the person's Section 8 Charter Right against unreasonable search IMO.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

One thing I noticed about that story is that it says it's legal to take a case across the border. Does anyone know if that's just QC/ND or is that everywhere?