Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Brewing

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mh007

Grand River Brewing

Post by mh007 »

What do you think of this brewery?

I have had Galt Knife (less than 3 weeks old), Curmudgeon (less than a month old) and Russian Gun. I was not impressed with any of the beers.

Also, they have the worst labels I have ever seen!

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

mh007 wrote:What do you think of this brewery?

I have had Galt Knife (less than 3 weeks old), Curmudgeon (less than a month old) and Russian Gun. I was not impressed with any of the beers.

Also, they have the worst labels I have ever seen!
I think their mild is really good. Also, the Plowman's is nice in its regular version, but last year they did an Anniversary version and it was awesome.

The Russian Gun seems to change a little from year to year.

Try the 1913. It's hugely drinkable.
saintjohnswort.ca

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I've liked everything I've tried of theirs. I really liked the bumbleberry wheat (no longer available, booo!) and really, really like the kolsch. I hope it's on tap again somewhere and available in bottles too.

I do agree that their labels suck. Given a choice between a good beer and a good label, I'll take the good beer. However if you want to attract the more mainstream beer drinker, having decent to flashy packaging can help.

Did I mention how much I liked the kolsch? :D
Last edited by lister on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Honestly love them huge. Though not a fan of the Russian Gun, a stout that is not roasty. Curmudgeon I could sometimes take or leave, the hops can be brassy. Galt Knife is pretty impressive-tasting, IMO.

The Mill Race Mild is great, as is the Hannenberg Pils and Raspberry Pils. Beers with character, so maybe you will just like them or you won't!
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Grand River brews hugely flavourful session beers (Mill Race, Plowman's, Galt Knife) and unlike most Ontario crafters they get many of their products into stores so that local consumers can actually enjoy them. All of their seasonals have impressed me, particularly the Dog Stalker, Curmudgeon, and Anniversary Ale. They have a solid, convincing identity - full flavoured brews under 5% ABV - that they stick to quite well, and they're very good to regional bars that like to carry their beers. Apparently their Beer Club events are an absolute blast. If you ask me they're one of the best brewers in the province.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

They are definitely in my personal top three of Ontario breweries (that I've had). I love the Curmudgeon and like the Galt well enough. I wish they had better availability in Ottawa.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I have enjoyed every GR beer I have tried, but I have yet to be blown away by one. That said, I would say that overall they are a solid brewery.

I do, however, agree with the comment about the labels. They are awful. And, sadly, I think they are new (within the last 12 months or so).

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i think their ok :lol:

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

matt7215 wrote:i think their ok :lol:
That sounds a little forced Matt. :wink:
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Consistency of quality- check
Wide range of styles- check
Flavourful beers- check
Talented and passionate brewmaster/owners- check
Continual flow of new and interesting things- check
Willing to take a risk- check
Great brewery and building- check
Fantastic hosts of brewery events- check
Has a sales guy that knows his beer, is passionate, and also loves Back Street Boys- check

Overall, I'd say that is hard to find in a lot of breweries. great brewery if you ask me.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I really just don't get how people can care so much about the labels. No offense, but holy shit, are we really so superficial? Frankly if it turns off some people, more beer for me (and the stuff sells well from what I've experienced at my local LCBO's). I wouldn't want them to get too big and risk compromising quality to fill demand anyways.

GRB makes some of the best stuff in the province. Some of their seasonal offerings are kind of love-it-or-hate-it. Plowman's is IMHO the single best session ale in the OCB. They're intentionally inconsistent year-to-year. The first two years of Russian Gunn I loved but this past year's version didn't do much for me. I wasn't crazy about the Curmudgeon when it was new, but the past two versions have been much more to my liking. They use different ingredients for different batches and I appreciate the truly artisanal element that adds to their beers.

I never know what I'm going to get from a GRB brew flavour wise, but it's extremely rare I don't get something good. I'm very thankful they're my local craft brewery.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Consistency of quality- check
Wide range of styles- check
Flavourful beers- check
Talented and passionate brewmaster/owners- check
Continual flow of new and interesting things- check
Willing to take a risk- check
Great brewery and building- check
Fantastic hosts of brewery events- check
Has a sales guy that knows his beer, is passionate, and also loves Back Street Boys- check

Overall, I'd say that is hard to find in a lot of breweries. great brewery if you ask me.
^^^this ^^^
Plus
Local to me - check

Re: Labels? carry it in a bag and/or pour it in a glass.
Reminds me of classic Monks tune from Bad Habits - Nice Legs....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfEsmXbjcyg

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JesseM wrote:I really just don't get how people can care so much about the labels. No offense, but holy shit, are we really so superficial? Frankly if it turns off some people, more beer for me (and the stuff sells well from what I've experienced at my local LCBO's). I wouldn't want them to get too big and risk compromising quality to fill demand anyways.

GRB makes some of the best stuff in the province. Some of their seasonal offerings are kind of love-it-or-hate-it. Plowman's is IMHO the single best session ale in the OCB. They're intentionally inconsistent year-to-year. The first two years of Russian Gunn I loved but this past year's version didn't do much for me. I wasn't crazy about the Curmudgeon when it was new, but the past two versions have been much more to my liking. They use different ingredients for different batches and I appreciate the truly artisanal element that adds to their beers.

I never know what I'm going to get from a GRB brew flavour wise, but it's extremely rare I don't get something good. I'm very thankful they're my local craft brewery.
I don't get the label issue either, besides, labels just seem to get Social Responsibility up in your grill. The beer is great, and the people who run it are constantly tweaking the recipies, year to year they change. Some of my favourite brews have come out of there.
-Ploegers Vlaam Rood
-Russian Gun
-Anniversary Ale
-Curmudgeon
Not only do they know a lot about beer, but they are passionate about what they make, and the events I've been to have been great.

I think "Artisinal" is a great descriptor. Plus, who doesn't like Back Street Boys.
Last edited by phirleh on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

mh007 - fair enough. Who has impressed you?
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Oh yeah, the Ploeger's Vlaams Rood IS about the most interesting, complex beer from Ontario I have ever tasted.

So with all the great British/German stuff they excel at, off they go and make a Flemish Sour that you think might fail, and no, it's brilliant. I think I had the last half-pint of some cask at Volo that was incredible.
In Beerum Veritas