Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Okay - being EMBARRASED in Toronto

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Very brave of biegaman, kudos to you my friend.

I'll just add all of those stories were told to me by the persons who were wronged as well, along with many others, which is why, like I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I decided a while ago I would not talk to Sammy any more.
Last edited by Blankboy on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M NOT ON THE LIST?"

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

sprague11 wrote:
IPA_Lover wrote:Does everyone walk into an establishment and loudly announce they are a bartoweler or something?
Next time I'm at Blue Monk, I'm gonna shout "Ladies and Gentleman.... my name is sprague11 from bartowel and I'm here to DRINK!"
I'm going with "A BEER CELEBRITY IS IN DA HOUSE!!!"

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

First off, I'm glad this thread made 5 pages. Secondly, Jan - that's a very eloquent post that I think puts things out there as they should be. Thirdly, I've met your old man and he's in better shape than me.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

It was my story that triggered the original post.

So, I'm in Burger Bar for a cheeky couple of pints on Sunday afternoon. Sitting enjoying my pint, the place is full although I'm the only person at the bar. Next thing I know, Sammy appears on my right shoulder, he's intent in speaking to the bar girl (mainly tattoo) ... before I start I should mention that Augusta Ale is on cask and I had the last pint....

BG = Bar Girl

Sammy (urgently, standing, not sitting at the bar) "a sample of Augusta Ale from the cask"

BG: "I think the cask is empty"

Sammy "can you check?"

BG: "yes but I'm sure it's finished"

Sammy "Check if you can"

Bargirl checks, there's just air coming out, no beer.

Bargirl "no, sorry, there's none"

Sammy: "Is there any out back?"

BG : "what do you mean?"

Sammy (urgently, keeps looking over shoulder towards the door <car parked perhaps?>) ....... " is there any kept aside in a bottle or in a fridge or does the owner have a keg out the back?"

BG: "No, no there's not, we don't do that..... but I do have Augusta Ale on tap, would you like a sample of that?"

Sammy: "NO, no.. I've had that before"

BG: "Huh??"

Sammy: "Maybe next time...." storms out.

In my opinion
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

I'm glad someone came out and named who we all knew it was, and well put at that.

I've been invited to these 'tastings', been asked for lopsided trades, and seen Sammy at work and can gladly say that what these gentlemen say is only the tip of the iceberg, as biegaman mentioned. He was restrained and gracious as can possibly be with a beer cretin such as Sammy. You can add me to the list of people who goes out of the way to avoid him. I try to be as gracious as possible with all sorts of people and am normally hesitant to join internet debates but felt I should add to the chorus.

While I'm not sure it color us all in a bad light (I don't feel discriminated at bars because of Sammy), he is certainly not the type of beer lover who furthers the craft scene - more of a leech. But undoubtedly every scene has these and it's just up to the rest of us to show how great a bunch beer lovers tend to be - generous, friendly, sociable, etc... That's how I've always found the majority of beer lovers to be and I won't let the like of Sammy ruin that.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I know Sammy is often rushed (between work & family), but he was always a generous host at the quarterly tastings that I attended.

I've got nothing against him, or Harry.

I suspect Harry probably had a few drinks before that post, but it's really no excuse for the web bullying and grade-school slandering. Ironically, that's not a good reflection on our community either.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

In all fairness, Al's tale reminds me why I actually like Sammy being around. It is a good story...

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Absolutely - it's a gem!!!!
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Derek, the following says it best:
ritzkiss wrote:...and seen Sammy at work and can gladly say that what these gentlemen say is only the tip of the iceberg, as biegaman mentioned.
It is indeed, the tip of the iceberg. We are just too polite to repeat the offenses done to others without bringing their names into it, it's not our place. And not just Toronto people. It's amazing how people visit from the States or we go to establishments in the States and they all talk about "that fucking Sammy Guy". After 6 years (for me), we've had enough. If that makes this "grade-school slandering" so be it.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

sprague11 wrote:
IPA_Lover wrote:Does everyone walk into an establishment and loudly announce they are a bartoweler or something?
Next time I'm at Blue Monk, I'm gonna shout "Ladies and Gentleman.... my name is sprague11 from bartowel and I'm here to DRINK!"
And we will have recognized you upon arrival, and awkwardly ask for an autograph. On our boobs too.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Everyone else in this scene is pretty fucking awesome though :)

Except that Gren guy, he's the worst :wink:

(inside joke to some)

mabel

Post by mabel »

Bobsy wrote:First off, I'm glad this thread made 5 pages. Secondly, Jan - that's a very eloquent post that I think puts things out there as they should be. Thirdly, I've met your old man and he's in better shape than me.
Hey Bobsy... maybe you should go to a gym... :wink:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Blankboy wrote:Everyone else in this scene is pretty fucking awesome though :)

Except that Gren guy, he's the worst :wink:

(inside joke to some)

Yeah, what is with that Gren guy? He's always beering it up and doing beery things. We should introduce him to our friend Grag! They'd get along! :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Blankboy wrote:Derek, the following says it best:
ritzkiss wrote:...and seen Sammy at work and can gladly say that what these gentlemen say is only the tip of the iceberg, as biegaman mentioned.
It is indeed, the tip of the iceberg. We are just too polite to repeat the offenses done to others without bringing their names into it, it's not our place. And not just Toronto people. It's amazing how people visit from the States or we go to establishments in the States and they all talk about "that fucking Sammy Guy". After 6 years (for me), we've had enough. If that makes this "grade-school slandering" so be it.
Sammy is a character for sure, but I've never witnessed any of these 'offenses'. If you want to ignore him, that's your perogative (I know a number of people that already do)... but why call him out on a public forum? If you think he reflects badly on this community, don't you think this does as well?