Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Okay - being EMBARRASED in Toronto

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

HogTownHarry

Okay - being EMBARRASED in Toronto

Post by HogTownHarry »

Bear with me for a bit, folks. I don't propose to name names, but I am willing to bet most of you will get the drift here.

For the past six or so years I have been going to the better beer places in Toronto, and apparently certain self-proclaimed beer celebrities in this city have made it VERY difficult for me, and others, to get a fair reception: evidently, thanks to "certain people" we --- beer fans and "geeks" are, thanks to CERTAIN PEOPLE, all tarred with the same "cheap, annoying, demanding, walk-out-on-bills" brush; and this pisses me off.

I have had to explain, and apologize, for certain "Toronto beer celebritites" as if they are actualy goddamn relatives of mine, for their obnoxious, entitled behaviour in bars I have only been two once - like it's my non-existent brother we're talking about.

When I go to a new place for the first (or second, third or fourth time) I make sure to:

- buy actual PINTS (not free samples, not thimbles, not sniffing the friggin' tap)
- tip well
- buy food
- try to talk to the owner, and NOT insist on free shit because I'm self-deluded enough to think I deserve it (hello????? are you LISTENING HERE unnamed "celebrity"?)
- NOT walk out on my bill (this sickens the fuck out of me, frankly)

I even am willing to pay for parking. Ahem.

I doubt if this gets through to anyone in particular, but PLEASE, do not ruin any more places in Ontario or upstate New York for me - I am tired of having to explain that "no, I am NOT associated with that dickhead" to servers, bartenders and pub/restaurant owners from central Ontario to south of Buffalo. I have tried to be nice, but frankly enough is enough.

Please switch to wine and become a wine asshole, if you would. Frankly you've almost run out of beer establishments to be known as "that cheap-ass idiot from Toronto" at. I've had enough.

And don't talk to me ever again if I see you at an event (where you will likely demand free samples and walk out without buying anything) anywhere withing 300 km of Toronto ---- I got fed up defending you (you know who you are) about 3 years ago; more than a few establishment owners passed on the shit you have been talking about me over the past 3 years, I am DONE with you, buddy.

Don't ever speak to me again.

-30-
"Drinking removes warts and pimples. Not from me. But from those I look at." - Jackie Gleason

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Seriously. I am getting goddamn red-faced angry thinking about the stuff I have seen, let alone the stories I have heard.

How can you look in the mirror? I call on all Toronto beer folk to SHUN this idiot. You probably knew who I am talking about after five words of my original post. It's time to stop saying "oh, that's just so-and-so" and start SHUNNING him.

I will literally turn my back and ignore you the next time I am unfortunate enough to be in the same establishment as you. Enough is enough. From now on, you DO NOT EXIST to me.

And the rest of you should really follow suit. You know you should - why you haven't is a complete mystery - this has been going on far too long.
"Drinking removes warts and pimples. Not from me. But from those I look at." - Jackie Gleason

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Agreed! It's like a form of abuse that nobody dares speak of. I'm sick of it too. The person in question has put all of our names into the gutter at one time or other. I was witness to an 'episode' today too....
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

I stopped talking to said person ages ago.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Also, in case people thinks it's hearsay - I have personally had MULTIPLE establishment owners tell me stories of this persons misbehaviour.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Thoughts please ladies & gents....

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Garthicus wrote:Thoughts please ladies & gents....
Since you asked, I have no idea who you're talking about, and since I don't get up to TO much, I'm not that concerned who it is. I also don't fault you for wanting to vent about some jerk-bag you keep bumping in to.

However, if I was treated poorly in an establishment because That Guy was a jerk; I think I'd not come back, because it says more about the owner/proprietor than That Guy. How can *I* or *you* be faulted for That Guy's behaviour?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Anyone else here not have a clue who you're talking about?

Or is there some secret handshake and club membership required to know?
lister

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

lister wrote:Anyone else here not have a clue who you're talking about?
tony clifton?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Harry, if you feel so strongly, why not just name this person? Especially if they know who they are? It would be to the benefit of those of us from the rest of the province who could avoid this assclown in the future.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

I looooove internet tough guy contests.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

First post in a long while ends up a BOOOOOM Headshot!

Missed you Harry!

Not sure (but I have my doubts cause I also heard stories) who he is, but doing the list upstairs is bad karma.

I would also add these to the noon list, in general, not linked to your bad guy, but that gives us a bad name:

- rating beers from tasting portions (how is this fair)
- taking pictures of patrons without their permissions
- stealing glassware and collectibles
- writing on menus (pisses off the staff)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Walking out on bills is a huge no-no. No one should be engaging in that.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Since the OP won't name names it's probably nothing more than a case of someone posting while intoxicated, also a huge no-no.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:Since the OP won't name names it's probably nothing more than a case of someone posting while intoxicated, also a huge no-no.
hahah yeah, cause no one ever drinks a beer or three before posting here.......you know.....on a BEER related website! :)

Seriously, let the guy rant if he wants to.Don't like it, don't reply. No one forces you to read it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!