Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pour your own draft bar now open.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Pour your own draft bar now open.

Post by Jon Walker »

Let me tell you, the L.A. beer scene has simply exploded in the past two years. As recently as 2005, there were so few good beer bars that you really had to go out of your way to enjoy a quality pint out. Now it seems a new craft beer place with multiple taps opens every other week. Here's the latest, it features booths where you have your own tap and can pour several of the micros available there without waiting for a busy waitress or a surly bartender. Genius!
http://rundown.com/article.php?article_id=1993
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Betcha I could run off on a HUGE bill there... I mean... nevermind.

Looks like a killer idea, wonder if they have you prepay like at the gas station.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I believe you have to swipe a card. Each time you select a quantity to pour it adds it to your bill. The thought that springs to mind...what happens to the liability issue with over consumption? In Ontario there are "Serving it right" and "Smart serve" to ensure servers know when someone needs to be cut off. No such safety measure here. For that reason alone it's an innovation you will likely never see in Canada.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Fabulous idea. Not having to wait for some airhead to come fill my glass is pure winning.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If I want to pour my own drinks, I'll just stay at home.

Sure, like everyone else I've had moments of frustration in a bar or restaurant trying to get another beer from the server or bartender, but those are overwhelmingly overshadowed by the great experienced I've had with great bar employees, especially in beer-oriented places.

Anti-social behavior has its place, but not in a bar.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The Real Sports bar at the ACC has a couple of tables with built in taps - wait for it - Canadian and Coors Light. But I believe they are reserved for VIP types. I have never sat there nor would I likely use them :-)

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Brasseurs du Temps has a couple of large group tables with a tap at them. You can request what beer is put on tap and you pay per ml that is poured out.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

As soon as I read the title I knew it was about somewhere other than Ontario. A province where you are not considered adult enough to carry your own beer from the bar to your table is not going to tolerate pour-your-own-beer anarchy. I mean (going into Premier Dad mode here) we must protect Ontario families.

thelynchfella

Post by thelynchfella »

They've been in ireland a good few years now. basically it reads how many ml/pints you've poured, it's displayed, and you get charged at the end for it.
I liked the idea at 1st, but the novelty soon wears off

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Steve Beaumont wrote:Anti-social behavior has its place, but not in a bar.
British football matches? Hockey games?

I agree it's a novelty fad, except that some really bad ideas do stick around for a long time.
In Beerum Veritas

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Interesting concept.
If you are just going there for drinks, do you tip?
or do you just tip your drinking buddies?
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Guinness and Carlsberg have had them in pubs in Ireland for quite a while.
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

It seems to me that something is lost if you take away the bartenders at your favorite beer bars. All the great conversations and recommendations. So these places in LA where you pour your own draft so that means you have one maybe two taps to choose from? Sounds pretty lame to me. Do I get a clean glass everytime I order a pint? Overall I think this would appeal more to the coors Molson crowd than someone who appreciates all that craft beer has to offer. And don't forget we DO have this in Ontario. You can go to Real Sports like Cass said and slug back all the coors and "Canadian" you want.

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

Another reason I object to this is our lives are becoming so automated. I hate all the jobs done by people that are being replaced by machines. Don't get me wrong, I love the terminator movies but I also like talking to people.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Just to clarify Colin, the bar has about 20 taps, only 3 of those beers are available at the booths and only a few of the booths have the taps. All of their lineup is quality micro with a focus on local brewers...

So while I agree that the concept is a novelty and more likely to cater to the less refined end of the beer spectrum, the bar in question is doing everything else right and seems to be adding the feature purely as a novelty rather than as the thrust of their business.