Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

UnEarthly vs. 2XIPA

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

UnEarthly vs. 2XIPA

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

To those lucky enough to have already had both, is there a major difference between these two beers? I've only ever had UnEarthly (and love it) so I'm wondering if 2XIPA is vastly different.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

I've had both but the 2X was very old. So I really shouldn't comment. Unearthly is one of my favourite IIPAs though. Can't wait until 2X hits the BO so I can give them a fair comparison.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

To me, UnEarthly has more balance, such as it is. 2XIPA is hop juice, not that that's always a bad thing.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I prefer the 2XIPA.

I actually found the 2XIPA to be less of a hop bomb than many other American DIPAs. It is a dangerously easy drinking DIPA and I preferred it to Unearthy.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Unearthly - to me - has never been equalled by any of the other ST IPAs, and that includes 2XIPA, Gemini and Hoppe. I like 'em all, but the Unearthly just has something I like, may it's the balance one of the posters above noted. Just comes together in a way the others don't.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Gedge wrote:Unearthly - to me - has never been equalled by any of the other ST IPAs, and that includes 2XIPA, Gemini and Hoppe. I like 'em all, but the Unearthly just has something I like, may it's the balance one of the posters above noted. Just comes together in a way the others don't.
I think it is time for me to try another bottle of Unearthy. From my review that I just read (the only time I have tried Unearthy) I noted that it was an unbalanced hop bomb.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i bought a 6er of 2X via private order and it was trash. hopefully the stuff we get in to the lcbo is in better shape

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:From my review that I just read (the only time I have tried Unearthy) I noted that it was an unbalanced hop bomb.
I wonder if "balance" applies to a beer that is however many IBUs Unearthly is. For me it was my gateway beer to beers that are "hop bombs". But I like hop bombs, so YMMV.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Gedge wrote:I wonder if "balance" applies to a beer that is however many IBUs Unearthly is. For me it was my gateway beer to beers that are "hop bombs". But I like hop bombs, so YMMV.
I use "balance" as a relative term. Perhaps I should have suggested that Unearthly has more of a malt profile than 2XIPA. And I'll stick to the term "hop juice" rather than "hop bomb," which, to me, suggests overwhelming bitterness. I didn't find 2XIPA terribly bitter at all; it just utilized a lot of mid-addition hops, and not a lot of specialty malt. It tastes like hops. As such, the balance of the 2X swings more toward the hops side of things than does the Unearthly, in terms of flavour. I could, however, be convinced that Unearthly has more bitterness.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I find Unearthly to be too much on the sweet side for me. 2XIPA is more balanced with hops.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Well described Jester. I guess one man's hop bomb is another man's hop juice. :wink:

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

We have both beers regularly available here in B.C. My first reaction to the 2x was that it tasted very much like the middle ground between the standard IPA and Unearthly. Yes, it's very hop forward and perhaps lacks some of the exquisite balance of the Unearthly but it's a damn fine beer none the less.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Unearthly is really a rather poor rendition of a DIPA. It's basically an Imperial ESB.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

JesseM wrote:Unearthly is really a rather poor rendition of a DIPA. It's basically an Imperial ESB.
Not quite sure how you drew that conclusion. After more than 1100 ratings the Unearthly scores an enviable 99 overall and 96 within style...which would seem to indicate that a large cross section of raters had no problem with this being classified a double IPA.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

My opinion is above that of RB. Also, disregarding that, you have to take those stats from RB with a grain of salt.