Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buffalo Beer Run!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Kel Varnsen wrote:... and how much of the stuff we bought was baby supplies.
There is a real run on contraband baby supplies right now, and the tax implications of this are making babies a real threat to economic stability.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:There is a real run on contraband baby supplies right now, and the tax implications of this are making babies a real threat to economic stability.
Obligatory.
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

http://hijinksensue.com/comics/2011-05- ... border.jpg

Apparently we aren't the only ones with border issues :)

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JerCraigs wrote:http://hijinksensue.com/comics/2011-05- ... border.jpg

Apparently we aren't the only ones with border issues :)
LOL, the funny thing is that for us (at least in my experience) it is the opposite. The US border guards are happy to let me in and the Canadian ones are pain in the a** on the way back...

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

For a Canadian citizen returning we actually get fewer questions from Canada Customs. Once they establish that you are who you say you are, you have a legal right of return to Canada. The rest of questions are about taxation or contraband items.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Kel Varnsen wrote: They usually seem to be more interested in confirming that the baby is ours, and how much of the stuff we bought was baby supplies.
Hmm, I have a four year old and a one year old. Maybe I can use them as a diversionary tactic at the border.

Hopaholic

Post by Hopaholic »

just got back from over there this afternoon, no tax paid although i only picked up a mixed 6 pack and 2 bombers we too had a baby. this is my 2nd trip in the last month. I will be going more often now that my wife got her passport. I plan on makeing trips out to southern teir and coles in the near future. this trip i picked up sothern tier oak aged un earthly and their baltic porter, rogue yellow snow ipa, ithica flower power and elocotteville beers

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

If I split the beer with you, would you be willing to lend me your child?

heebes

Post by heebes »

I was going once a month back in the fall/winter but can't afford to anymore. Gas is outrageous and I'm a good 2.5 hour drive. It was amazing getting to try so many great American craft beers bit damn does it get pricey. Time to enjoy some of the local stuff or whatever happens to be in the lcbo.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

I spent the weekend in Buffalo and returned with bombers of Hop Rod Rye, Racer 5, Stone IPA, & Hop Stoopid
I also picked up a Variety 12-pack of Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA.
It contains 2 each of 6 different IPAs:
5 Single-hop: Hallertau, East Kent Goldings, Simcoe, Ahtanum, & Zeus
1 5-hop with all of the above.
Should be good.

Being away for 48 hours, there were no problems claiming this.

Hopaholic

Post by Hopaholic »

im only 20 minintes from the border so the money i save on gas pays for the gas used that day and the money saved on groceries i buy there pays for the beer i buy :D

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

i only picked up a mixed 6 pack and 2 bombers
hopdevil wrote: I also picked up a Variety 12-pack of Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA.
It contains 2 each of 6 different IPAs:
5 Single-hop: Hallertau, East Kent Goldings, Simcoe, Ahtanum, & Zeus
1 5-hop with all of the above.
Should be good.
Where are you guys picking up mixed packs? I often go to Niagara Falls NY for beer runs, but Consumers only has bombers and 6 packs. sometimes i go to Wegmans for the 'build your own 6 pack' but you really have to be careful as most of their stock has been on the shelves for months. I have a 'No IPA' rule when shopping at Wegmans.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

Anything and everything is available as singles at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo. Anytime I've asked about 'breaking' six packs, I've always been given the 'go ahead'. Not that much further than NF for you!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I mostly get singles at Premier. Consumers a few things that PG doesn't have, or growlers. (Nugget Nectar last time as amazing)

Yapper

Post by Yapper »

Dont forget Village Beer Merchant for singles.

RE: Using kids as a "diversionary tactic". 2 weeks ago "anything to decla..." and my two year old yells "we went to the zoo!" ...2 cases of beer tax free.