Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A Question for the Beer-Centric

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'd split my time between the two :) I like going to a sports bar with the guys from work, but if its just the wife and I heading out its more likely to be somewhere with atmosphere.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Steve Beaumont wrote: a wonderful, historic and incredibly atmospheric pub boasting only one decent beer on tap?
Sounds perfect. Now where is it?

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Nine times out of ten I'd pick the sports bar. Most of the time when I go out for a pint, I don't have in mind what I want. I like to be suprised or just choose something spontaneously.

The 10th time is when the sports bar is playing soccer and I'd go elsewhere. I've never understood the appeal.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Definitely the sports bar with the massive selection.

Now I can't stop picturing a dream world where I could drink a pint each of Arrogant Bastard, 90 Minute, Storm King and Bell's Two Hearted while watching my Rams win the Super Bowl.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:
Steve Beaumont wrote: a wonderful, historic and incredibly atmospheric pub boasting only one decent beer on tap?
Yeah, let me know, I'll meet you there! I'm more than happy to drink 1 good beer in a great environment.

I was recently at a pub in Minot, ND that still allows smoking, and it mostly ruined the experience. Also made the mistake of going to Saskatoon's only beer bar on a night they were showing UFC... pretty hard for me to enjoy craft beer when the place is packed with bunch of douchebags drunk on Keith's staring at the TV screen like zombies...

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

markaberrant wrote:
Also made the mistake of going to Saskatoon's only beer bar on a night they were showing UFC... pretty hard for me to enjoy craft beer when the place is packed with bunch of douchebags drunk on Keith's staring at the TV screen like zombies...
I feel your pain. I quite enjoy MMA but the crowd that shows up to watch the events at bars are definitely assholes.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
markaberrant wrote:
Also made the mistake of going to Saskatoon's only beer bar on a night they were showing UFC... pretty hard for me to enjoy craft beer when the place is packed with bunch of douchebags drunk on Keith's staring at the TV screen like zombies...
I feel your pain. I quite enjoy MMA but the crowd that shows up to watch the events at bars are definitely assholes.
Love Sports, but hate watching in bars for this very reason.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:
Probably near Abbaye D'Orval.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian wrote:
Derek wrote:
Probably near Abbaye D'Orval.
That'd be phenomenal. I was thinking Düsseldorf... there's a few places I'd like to go.

I don't know if I've ever been to a good place with a single good tap (though beer tends to fog my memory). I think the closest I've come to a single tap with ambiance was Spezial... they had two taps, the Rauchbier Lager & the Ungespundetes.
markaberrant wrote: Yeah, let me know, I'll meet you there! I'm more than happy to drink 1 good beer in a great environment.
Düsseldorf or D'Orval?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Depends, does the sports bar have the mute button on and the screens off or do I have to listen to that crap to enjoy the company of my friends and a good beer? Otherwise a limited selection of good beer with intelligent conversation wins. Quality over quantity!

Sorry to offend the religious types here :oops:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote: I don't know if I've ever been to a good place with a single good tap (though beer tends to fog my memory). I think the closest I've come to a single tap with ambiance was Spezial... they had two taps, the Rauchbier Lager & the Ungespundetes.
For a minute there I thought you meant the Spezial brewery pub in Bamberg, where there's a brewer's alchemy symbol hanging outside (star of David.) Some places I gotta go back with my Uncle (he wants to go to Kloster Andechs.)
In Beerum Veritas

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

sprague11 wrote:Love Sports, but hate watching in bars for this very reason.
Agreed, I prefer watching sports alone.

A couple years ago, I went to quite a few Rider games by myself, sat with all the old farts in the good seats, and did not eat or drink anything (so no concession/bathroom breaks to miss any action). I thought it was awesome.

bartle

Post by bartle »

a wonderful, historic and incredibly atmospheric pub boasting only one decent beer on tap.

Atmosphere is everything.

But it's important to switch it up every now and then. One thing only gets really boring after a while.
enjoi

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:My opinion? Most Canadian cities need more sports bars that serve nothing but craft beer. The closest example we have here locally is the London Ale House (offers about 75 mostly micro bottles), but aside from Cobblestone, Tankhouse, Steam Whistle, and *occasionally* some McAuslan, the draught selection is wanting. If we had a sports bar with 40 craft taps, I'd gladly patronize it over a nice-looking wannabe pub with one good beer (which we already have in the Waltzing Weasel and its single Sam Adams draught).

This.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Steve Beaumont wrote:Just because I'm procrastinating right now, here's a query of pure curiosity for you all. Which would you rather patronize, assuming it had to be one or the other: A mediocre sports bar with a great selection of 40+ taps or a wonderful, historic and incredibly atmospheric pub boasting only one decent beer on tap?

Feel free to editorialize.
As mentioned the Kick off in Waterloo http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1202394127 is the epitome of "a mediocre sports bar" with a great selection (14, not 40 taps) and since its my local I guess I am in that camp.
If you had said "a historic blah blah blah with 1 MAGNIFICENT craft tap" that might be different. For example, I'd sit in a bus shelter if it had a Two Hearted tap.