Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Favourite drankin' musik

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

dmits wrote:two pages on drinking music and no one has mentioned The Stones?! Classics: If it ain't broke don't fix it.
You mean that band that somehow turned 3 songs into a 50 year career? Pass.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

For me, it is:

Pearl Jam
The Hip
Matthew Good
Band of Horses
Third Eye Blind

Also like me some Brit Pop as well, stuff like Travis, Elbow, Stereophonics, Athlete, etc.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

I have 3 distinct drinking music memories.
While spending most of 1988 in Australia I learned about volume drinking. I drank a lot of XXXX and when ever this song came on the Aussies would slam down gallons of the stuff on their way to "getting legless"
The Angels - Am I Ever gonna see Your Face Again. It's been an Oz tradition to add lyrics as noted in the live version seen here. (there are better quality origininal recordngs on youtube). The Aussie still clearly react to this shit over 30 years after release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSvo3taZT7E

My next moment was abusing my role as MC at a friends wedding to convince the DJ to playing RATM - Killing in the Name ..I may have inadvertently slammed into the groom's grandmother :oops: Can't even remember what was I was drinking. Sorry grandma.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8de2W3rtZsA

Lately I have been enjoying NQ Arbuckle for serious sitting around the table drinking. Awesome Canadian band who will be playing at the Session after show next weekend. They usually do a St Pats day show at the Jane Bond in Waterloo.
Amoungst my favs is this WW1 inspired ditty

NQ Arbuckle - Ypres 1915 - Jesse should be "right up you trench" history wise if not style wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlzU3AWuY5o

Cheers!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Thanks for the link Terry. That's a cool song.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
dmits wrote:two pages on drinking music and no one has mentioned The Stones?! Classics: If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Three songs? You're joking right?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

i thought Ale was talking about Kiss for a moment there.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

mintjellie wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
Is three stretching it or are you suggesting there are many more than three? I am on the RS band wagon myself... right up to 1974.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I often like to listen to Flogging Molly, Great Big Sea and/or The Irish Descendants (plus whatever other trad Irish music is around). Having grown up on metal though, I really like me some Korpiklaani; Finish folk-metal:

Let's Drink

Beer Beer

Happy Little Boozer

Vodka

Roughly 1/3 of their songs are about drinking.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

NRman wrote:
mintjellie wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: You mean that band that somehow turned 3 songs into a 50 year career? Pass.
Is three stretching it or are you suggesting there are many more than three? I am on the RS band wagon myself... right up to 1974.
Suggesting there are many more than three. I'm not a huge Stones fan myself, but they do have a lot of very good singles.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

When drinking at home playing mp3s off of my computer on my headphones I pretty much listen to the same things I do when I'm not drinking. The difference I find is that I listen to it MUCH LOUDER!

Lamber

Post by Lamber »

Really loving Hey Rosetta! right now. Excellent Canadian band.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Suprised no one has said the Dubliners yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVJK1Sl6My8
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

nicktbm

Post by nicktbm »

For me summer time beers call for the Ramones, the Riverdales, Chixdiggit etc. And for Fall and Winter beers, NomeansNo, Black Flag, and Leatherface

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Totally depends on the day, just like what sort of beer I feel like.

Today I am enjoying some really old Who on YouTube. Other days it is The Clash, Social Distortion, The Pogues, The Clancy Brothers, Blue Rodeo, Stompin' Tom, Stan Rogers or even Gordon Lightfoot ( if I'm in a certain sort of mood there's really nothing like singing along with Early Morning Rain or Steel Rail Blues at the top of my lungs ).

My parents just moved and presented me with a couple dozen cassette tapes that had been in their basement for several decades so I am dusting off some (m)oldies lately. I found a bootleg that I made of The Who in Toronto in '89(?). Sound quality is terrible but it has brought back many memories. Turns out my wife and I were both at the show but didn't meet each other until a few years later in Thunder Bay.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Home for a rest! perhaps the greatest drinking song ever!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJD3qcIL7s
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.