Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys Unveil World's Hoppiest Beer...?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Flying Monkeys Unveil World's Hoppiest Beer...?

Post by Bytowner »

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, didn't see it.

Alpha-fornication is coming out for Ontario Beer Week.
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_i ... 9366991359

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

It's a huge waste of hops if you ask me
Fuckin' magnets... How do they work?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

As in you've tried it and it's not very good, or you think hopping is subject to diminishing returns?

Hoppiest beer I've had was Mikkeller's 1000, nothing remarkable about that one.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Only six bottles? 2500 IBU's? Damn. Reminds me of this:

"What is so great about nano brewing?"
"It's just cool..."

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Bytowner wrote:As in you've tried it and it's not very good, or you think hopping is subject to diminishing returns?

Because IBU's are theoretical and the human threshold for bitterness levels isn't very high. Its just a pissing match along the lines of BrewDogs distilled products.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Seems like they took all the hops out of their other recipes (excluding Smashbomb) and put it into this.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

I remember reading in Beer Advocate magazine, that the human palate can only taste bitterness up to about 80 IBU's or something in that neighborhood.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

RayOhm wrote:Seems like they took all the hops out of their other recipes (excluding Smashbomb) and put it into this.
Ha, this makes me laugh. sitting here enjoying Smashbomb, But I agree with your assessment re the others.

As viggo said, this is a meaningless title of 'theoretical' IBUs. Honestly, I always thought IBUs was a useless number to start with.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Why rain on their parade? It's a fun experiment, and they wanted to do it. So let them have a little fun. At least an Ontario brewer is actually experimenting with off stuff like this.
I look forward to sampling the beer tomorrow.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I just brewed what I hope will be the world's wettest beer this weekend. After it finishes fermenting, I expect it will pour really easily. :lol:

Easy pouring beer, I'd better trademark that before the big boys catch on...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Saison

Post by Saison »

viggo wrote:
Bytowner wrote:As in you've tried it and it's not very good, or you think hopping is subject to diminishing returns?

Because IBU's are theoretical and the human threshold for bitterness levels isn't very high. Its just a pissing match along the lines of BrewDogs distilled products.
Not exactly. There are properties of highly hopped beers (4 digit ibus), that go beyond the simple 100 ibu perception threshold...

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Saison wrote:
viggo wrote:

Not exactly. There are properties of highly hopped beers (4 digit ibus), that go beyond the simple 100 ibu perception threshold...
Do you have any research on this?

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

I would love to see a lab analysis of the IBU's.... I highly highly doubt it would be anywhere near 2,500 ibu's. You can't just keep adding hops and expect them to become isomerized.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Nash had a 1066 (theoretical) ibu brew at the Hart and Thistle in Halifax back in May. I bet it was fantastic.

http://hartandthistle.blogspot.com/2011 ... -impa.html

I had a couple of glasses of the original Hop Mess Monster. 'Only' 533 ibu :D It was one of the best beers I have ever had.

Saison

Post by Saison »

viggo wrote:
Saison wrote:
viggo wrote: Because IBU's are theoretical and the human threshold for bitterness levels isn't very high. Its just a pissing match along the lines of BrewDogs distilled products.
Do you have any research on this?
Yes - brewing and tasting highly hopped beers.